PDA

View Full Version : The perils and pitfalls?

Pages : [1] 2

KDCartoons
08-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Okay, having last visited the Disneyland parks so very long ago ( 25+ yrs) and knowing that things have certainly changed a great deal, I'm curious about what there is to avoid/beware of/steer clear of around the Parks themselves.
Obviously the Parks themselves are a sure hit and always worth the visit, but I'd like to get a heads-up on those lil' traps and wastes-of-time that are in close proximity.
Could be anything; restaurants, shops, things that just rubbed people the wrong way.
Our stay is going to be close to the park itself, and we'll be walking/dining in the area, so any input would be of value.

rentayenta
08-01-2006, 03:42 PM
I might get slammed for this but we stay away from Denny's and McDonald's and actually most of the places on Harbor except Mimi's Cafe but even that's a rarity. If we are going to eat outside of the park or DTD we go near the shore and eat at a non-chain restaurant. In n Out burger is the exception to this. We don't have them here so we always hit them up once a trip.

There is a discount mall nearby, the name escapes me but it's full of junk- skip it.

The Character Warehouse is also not worth the trip. If you are bringing kids and looking for inexpensive Disney souvenirs, look at www.disneyshopping.com, their clearance section is pretty good.

Klutch
08-01-2006, 05:13 PM
I actually think the Denny's across the street from DL is OK; for a Denny's.

Definately avoid the IHOP. That place is dirty, crowded and expensive!

As for the "Smack Happy's", I don't eat there when I'm home, let alone on vacation.

I know some people like it, but I recommend avoiding the Rainforest Cafe. That place is overpriced and the food is lackluster. Of course, if you have a freind or family member who simply must dine at Rainforest Cafe, whatcha gonna do?

Leap for Joy
08-01-2006, 05:19 PM
The Character Warehouse is also not worth the trip. If you are bringing kids and looking for inexpensive Disney souvenirs, look at www.disneyshopping.com, their clearance section is pretty good.
I like the Character Warehouse, but it is definitely hit and miss. One time we bought TONS of stuff, then the next three times we found nothing. It's typical for an outlet store. It's worth doing on your afternoon break, you can hit the store and get lunch at the same time.

disneyhound
08-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Okay, having last visited the Disneyland parks so very long ago ( 25+ yrs) ... I'm curious about what there is to avoid...

Remember that great attraction in Tomorrowland, "Carousel of Progress"?

Avoid that building at all costs. Actually, avoid eye contact with that big round structure! It just might suck you in! Now called "Innoventions", it is a waste of time and space! IMHO :D

I Heart Disneyland!
08-01-2006, 08:22 PM
I completely agree about Innoventions. I think it's a total waste of great space. The other thing I hate is Honey, I Shrunk The Audience. If you've not seen it, one time will be enough for you.

I am also not a fan of Rainforest Cafe. Food isn't great and prices are outrageous.

donaldquackers
08-01-2006, 09:43 PM
IHOP and Denny's on Harbor are expensive. Most people don't know that there are others in the area with normal prices.

Another Dimension
08-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Remember that great attraction in Tomorrowland, "Carousel of Progress"?

Avoid that building at all costs. Actually, avoid eye contact with that big round structure! It just might suck you in! Now called "Innoventions", it is a waste of time and space! IMHO :D

Talk with Stitch and ASIMO are actually cool... Hardly wastes of time. IMO.

DEP, waste of time.

mommy-san
08-02-2006, 06:39 AM
If you are approached in front of Captain Kidds restraunt with a coupon, throw it back at them and run for your life. This is the most disgusting place I've seen- for being accross from DLR you'd expect better.

hlbtimes2
08-02-2006, 08:47 AM
We avoid the Village Haus in Fantasy land. I've heard they have improved, but I'm not willing to spend money to find out! We also dont take time for Honey I shrunk the aud. We watched once, years ago, and that was plenty for us.

mulansgirl
08-02-2006, 09:36 AM
I do enjoy Innoventions, they have stitch (which was just great) and VMK (virtual Magic Kingdom) plus it is air conditiond. I also enjoy the floor soccer and wack-a-mole. My three yr. old niece loves the Wack-a-mole.

I second all those who say no to Dennys and Captain Kidds. Bad service and overpriced. I almost left Dennys because it took about 15 min for our waiter to come to take our order. and the food is meh.

Question is the wax mesuem any good any one gone to it. I always want to but never actually leave Disneyland untill it closes so I dont know.

And I would skip Medieval times very expensive, I was going to go with my husband for our annaversary but decided to eat at the Napa Rose because it seemed to cost less and was closer.

Malcon10t
08-02-2006, 11:14 AM
I second all those who say no to Dennys and Captain Kidds. Bad service and overpriced. I almost left Dennys because it took about 15 min for our waiter to come to take our order. and the food is meh.Denny's isn't bad, but it is "Dennys". It is more expensive than most Denny's by about $2 a plate. I've always had decent service there. My daughter likes it there for breakfast, I prefer Mimi's, but we all prefer Mimi's for any other meal. IHOP is gross as is Captain Kidds. Millie's has had good reviews, but based on the pricing I saw, it is more expensive than Mimi's for about the same food. McDs is good if you are looking for McDs <g>. Also, Tony Romas is great. Avoid the Del Sol!!!!!

tmptink
08-02-2006, 11:24 AM
I would also avoid Denny's. We went there for breakfast our first day and the service took forever. Food was ok. Next day we went to Carnation Cafe at DL for breakfast and it was 100% better and it was about $10-$20 cheaper for us. We had a group of 9. Even my picky 2 1/2 year old loved the Carnation Cafe.

I would also agree on Captain Kidds. I went there years ago and the food was so terrible.

kohl
08-02-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm another one to say to avoid Rainforest Cafe. The service is slow and it is overpriced. I also got food poisioning the last time we ate there!:eek:
We do visit the Character Warehouse each visit. Sometimes there isn't much, but we have come out buying stuff that was in the park at the same time we had visited the warehouse.

Disney_Nut
08-02-2006, 05:52 PM
I have to disagree about not going to Medieval Times. The reason it seems expensive is because you get a 2 hour show with your dinner. Maybe check out their website to see if you'd like it.

Maus
08-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Question is the wax mesuem any good any one gone to it. I always want to but never actually leave Disneyland untill it closes so I dont know.

Sorry, the Movieland Wax Museum is no more. It closed last year. See announcement here: Movieland Wax Museum and Ripley's Believe It or Not both closing Oct. 31st (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=49283)

potzbie
08-02-2006, 07:28 PM
DEP, waste of time.

WHAT!?
Disney's Electrical Parade is my favorite parade of all time!

mulansgirl
08-02-2006, 09:22 PM
I went as a kid to Medieval Times. Unless the show got more realistic and the food got better I wouldn’t go again for that price. I might be a bit barbaric but if I am to see a tournament I want to see fighting or even sparing not a scripted choreographed slow action show. And when I say slow action I only mean they seemed to be holding back a lot so they would not hurt each other, to me it seemed unnatural, and I was about fourteen at the time. I was interested in seeing it again but when I saw the price I could not see myself getting that much enjoyment out of it. But that is just me, one of my co-workers just went for her sons fifth or sixth birthday and they had a blast she did say it was a lot of money but they enjoyed it. I think I spent too much time at Renaissance Faires, where the show is about the same but costs less (free I worked it). As always this is only my opinion nothing more.

Man I knew I waited too long to go see those now they are gone. next time more living in the moment and less time at Disneyland (like that will ever happen)

Pirate Princess
08-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Went to "Tournament of Kings" in Vegas... was super super super drunk and it still was the worst thing I ever did. (I'm the type of drunk who has a good time no matter what.. so that's saying something). What a waste of money.. so I now avoid anything that resembles it like the plague. Not sure if Medieval times is better.
Here is my "steer clear ofs"... my DS loves things like Tarzan's Treehouse, Brother Bear playground, etc. (I still haven't taken him to Tom Sawyer's island.. he doesn't know it exists). He will spend HOURS playing on these playgrounds when we can go down slides, go across bridges, bang pots, climb ropes, and climb rocks at home for free. I now let him go in (because of incessant begging) but we set time limits or have small briberies to get him out (wanna get an ice cream?)

Just my 2 cents.. and then some.

darph nader
08-02-2006, 11:10 PM
We avoid the Village Haus in Fantasy land. I've heard they have improved, but I'm not willing to spend money to find out! We also dont take time for Honey I shrunk the aud. We watched once, years ago, and that was plenty for us.

I'm with you hlbtimes2,Village Haus "STINKS",to be polite. We were there last year and i suggested lunch at T/L Terrace. Well we get there and a sign says "Sorry,T/L Terrace is closed, Please visit Villag Haus". Put a gun to my head and pull the trigger. Hot,stuffy,noisy and forget about sitting 'inside'(thank the maker). At least at T/L Terrace you can be (somewhat) away from the crowds.:rolleyes:

Syndrome
08-03-2006, 08:13 AM
I like the Character Warehouse, but it is definitely hit and miss. One time we bought TONS of stuff, then the next three times we found nothing. It's typical for an outlet store. It's worth doing on your afternoon break, you can hit the store and get lunch at the same time.

And if you go to the Character Warehouse, try and have dinner at Angelo and Vinci's in Fullerton. It's so good, my wife and I try and go there every trip! :)

JookyG
08-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Considering how lousy all the off-resort food options are, you're really better off eating in the parks. Carnation Cafe is priced about the same as Denny's and is a zillion times better (although I've never had a bad experience at that Denny's and eat there at least onece each trip). Plus, you can get Mickey waffles at Carnation. Call the Disney Dining number the day before, or even a couple hours before, for priority seating so you don't have to wait. My dining strategy is to eat only one or two meals and spend the rest of the day snacking on healthy snacks that I bring with me, or that I can get at the convenience stores in the area.

Avoid the corndogs in DCA unless you like big greasy gutbombs.

Avoid Adventureland & New Orleans Square during Fantasmic. It's horrendous trying to get through the crowds.

If you see the fireworks, just stay put afterwards until the crowds dissolve a bit. People get crazy and cranky trying to funnel down Main Street afterwards.

Avoid Fantasyland in the afternoon, especially on weekends, unless you want you shins smacked around by strollers. It's a stroller derby in there and gets crazy. Early Entry is your key to a lovely Fantasyland experience.

Go early and stay late, and take a nap inbetween. Right after rope drop and right before close are the best times to "power ride." If you don't have the stamina for 16 hours of Disney fun, take a mid-day break during the hottest and most crowded time of the day.

Be careful when leaving Disneyland on a weekend afternoon if you want to re-enter. The lines to re-enter might be very long. I missed a Blue Bayou reservation because I decided to leave the park for an afternoon break, then couldn't get through the re-entry lines in time.

stan4d_steph
08-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Avoid the corndogs in DCA unless you like big greasy gutbombs.Amen to that! I had one and I regretted it later!

GrumpyUTboi
08-03-2006, 06:34 PM
You have to be kidding about HISTA. A creative genuis made that attraction. We see it over and over again. One big plus is that so many people just don't get it so the crowd is not very big and where can you sit for 20 min in an air conditioned room with excellent entertainment.

I second the motion about skipping adventureland and New Orleans during the showing of fantasmic, unless you want to ride the Pohh ride or Splash over and over again wiating for the crowds to disappear.

Also decide what side of the park you want to be at when the stupid parade starts or when the fireworks start. People get so insane and stupid during those times, it is best to pick a spot in the park and stay there when these attractions are being displayed.

If you like pizza Roundtablle delivers to the resort area, 2 large pizzas will cost you $25, that is better than the $70 we have spent at Millies, Denny's, and IHOP. If you can drive so that you can go to off site restaurants to save money.

Rockchalker
08-03-2006, 06:51 PM
I would also agree on Captain Kidds. I went there years ago and the food was so terrible.

You mean you did not like the biscuits and mushroom gravy on the breakfast bar? That place is nasty! :(