PDA

View Full Version : Innoventions

mikala
05-03-2002, 09:01 PM
OK, we have been to Disneyland a gillion times in my 28 years, and since Innoventions came into Tomorrowland my husband and I have never been. We have been going there together for the 10 years we have been together, and never made time. Is it worth it?

Amazing how no matter how many times you visit-you skip things. What year did this open?

Thanks.

Nigel2
05-03-2002, 09:31 PM
98' I believe, it was not complete for the opening of Tomorrowland but odds are it was the plan to draw people back. It is interesting the first time arround... but it's a subjective thing so opinions will differ. But it is not really close to EPCOT's version (their is better).

AliKzam
05-03-2002, 11:05 PM
The coolest thing is the beginning. There's a life-size AA figue named Tom Morrow. He's golden and robotic and is voiced by the Nathan Land sound-alike who voices Timon in the Lion King sequel and TV series. Of course, it might be Nathan Lane. It's been a while since I've been there. Anyway, you stand very close to him, the carousel theatre moves, and he sings "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow. Then you walk through a museum of the possible future/arcade.
The bummer is, when they finally remove Innoventions, Tom will be gone. I'm a fan of AA figures, and they're becomming fewer and fewer all the time.

Nigel2
05-03-2002, 11:22 PM
Well you are right sort of, Tom Morrow (1.0) is voiced by the Real Natahan Lane, and there is no other voice for Timon when they made the TV show, it was him the whole time.:D

Uncle Dick
05-04-2002, 12:14 AM
There are plenty of Innoventions haters out there. I actually like it… sort of. The preshow presented by Tom Morrow is amusing, and gives a quick look back into the "good ol' days" of Tomorrowland. The Tom Morrow audio-animatronic is great fun to watch, especially in between shows as he fidgets around a bit and checks his watch.

There's internet access inside, which I've found useful in the past for locating off site food locations. Some of the interactive games (Mission: Space, fireworks simulator) are fun to waste a few minutes on. The giant "Tree o' Technology" that rises in the center of the building is quite a sight to behold.

Upstairs, the GM exhibit has this little simulator type ride that is sort of fun, but I wouldn't wait in too long a line for it. The Pioneer exhibit has some cool DVD technology that I spent about 10 minutes checking out. I wouldn't bother with the new AT&T exhibit or the Kaiser Permanente thing (unless you're into medical stuff).

The rest of Innoventions is video games, plain and simple, which is kind of cool considering that it's all free (as opposed to the Starcade). I spent a good hour playing around on various machines (they're never crowded) but the controller and monitor setup wasn't designed for people quite so tall, and after a while it starts to hurt my back and neck.

After exiting the building, you're treated to a great view of Tomorrowland (especially at night). Sometimes, I'll just chill out on the upstairs balcony for 15 minutes or so, just scoping the land. And don't forget to check out the phone!

coronamouseman
05-04-2002, 12:30 AM
Personally, I believe Innoventions started off as a great concept but it's success has been torpedoed by the recent depression in the last few years of the technology sector of the economy.

I think that DLR brass probably thought they could get a number of high-profile SoCal and/or NorCal name-brand technology companies to sponsor and/or build exhibits there originally.

But since the tech stocks have floundered so much in the last couple of years there obviously are not going to be many takers at this point and there is also somewhat of a reluctance of NorCal companies to want to have anything to do with SoCal in any way.

Too bad - you would think companies like Sun Microcomputers, Oracle, Cisco, Hewlett Packard (now HPQ after adding Compaq), Intel, Qualcomm and/or Motorola could put on some really cool demonstrations and/or simulations as opposed to just offering game access via the Internet .........

AliKzam
05-04-2002, 10:36 AM
Nigel2- It is Nathan Lane? Cool. I guess I just assumed it wasn't him (especially where the cartoon is concerned) because Robin Williams didn't reprise his role as Genie for the Alladin cartoon. It was Dan Castanetta (Castalenetta? I slaughtered his name, huh?) who voices Homer Simpson.
Uncle Dick- Is the Kaiser Permanente area where they have the artificial skin? That stuf is cool! Reminds me "The Empire Strikes Back".
Coronamouseman- I visited my friend who moved to the country in Northern California, once. We went to the general store, and I noticed some magnets on the cash register. They were of the top half of California, and said something along the lines of Northern California seceding from Southern California. I asked her what that was all about, and she snapped back very rudely, "They steal our water." My friend and her dad pulled me out of the store before I had a major arguement with her. Turns out this is an arguement thats been around for a long time, long enough to make magnets for, at least. Northern water tastes nice, I guess, but Southern California tapwater tastes like crap. They must pee in the aquaduct on it's way over.
Deal with it, Northern! You're stuck with us. Muh-ha-ha-ha!

LIMANDL4EVA
05-04-2002, 11:34 AM
peronally i think innoventions is getting a LOT better, daily they are adding new exhibits and cool stuff, the addition of the segway demonstration was AWESOME! i think they are finally getting their act together with innoventions and its working because all the people I see coming out of their from their hours of fun has a smile on their face. the only problem i see is kinda weird, you can get SOOOO caught up in Innoventions that you might lose track of time. i remeber i went in at about 3 in the afternoon once and came out the sun had already set and i thought we had only been in for an hour!

funnygarcia
05-04-2002, 12:35 PM
Good place to go to escape the heat - last yr when we went it was cool weather- so we went to get warm lol... My boys had a fun time in the climbing structure there (something about recycled plastic???) as well as the pregnant bellies ultrasound thing.. The display of laproscopic surgery instruments was intriguing as I had just recovered from a lap procedure
(when I donated kidney to DH) DH was amazed at how the tools work and how small of an incision was actually used on me so he may have the kidney....
The video games were fun but I agree that the set up is just not comfy - too short for grwonups and not quite short enough for
the kids.... when I went the CMs hada whole spiel they went thru- meanwhile you stand there w your eyes glazing over from boredom-- hope they changed that!

Uncle Dick
05-04-2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by AliKzam
Uncle Dick- Is the Kaiser Permanente area where they have the artificial skin? That stuf is cool! Reminds me "The Empire Strikes Back".

I'm not sure. I never spent enough time there to find out. I can't imagine that something so delicate would last long under the constant barrage of kids' hands.

lindyhop
05-04-2002, 01:39 PM
After checking it out when it first opened I haven't been back but I did go back in about a week ago because I wanted to see the Segwey (sp?) demo. It was kind of cool but of course it would be better if everyone could ride it!:) :)

Hyperboy
05-04-2002, 02:11 PM
Innoventions is FANTASTIC on super hot days when you need air conditioning. The place is like a fridge.

Oh, you mean it's not super hot today? Well, uh, I guess Innoventions is more fun than getting kicked in the shins with steel toe boots.... :D

mikala
05-04-2002, 03:15 PM
Hey gang,

Thanks for so many great opinions. We will be sure to see it during our visit in 2 weeks. HOORAY!

Darkbeer
05-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Today, I went to Innoventions, basically to check out what was going on with the work on Cosmic Waves..... And once I got inside, they didn't offer a "Outer Ring" show, basically let us watch Tom Morrow, then said go enjoy the inside... what is up with that... I thought that the Outer Ring was to help promote the "sponsors", and they said... never mind????

Morrigoon
05-04-2002, 07:58 PM
There is one cool thing in Innoventions (I know I just surprised the heck out of everyone who knows me as an Innoventions-hater, which I am). Rather than following the outer ring show, stand on the inner ring, along the railing in front of Tom Morrow, and watch him between songs - he acts like a bored actor waiting for his cue.

Other than that the place is only good for the air conditioning and to see how many times you can subvert the internet firewall (ie: how many different ways you can pull mouseplanet up!)

Nigel2
05-04-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by AliKzam
Nigel2- It is Nathan Lane? Cool. I guess I just assumed it wasn't him (especially where the cartoon is concerned) because Robin Williams didn't reprise his role as Genie for the Alladin cartoon. It was Dan Castanetta (Castalenetta? I slaughtered his name, huh?) who voices Homer Simpson.

Yeah, for some reason disney tends not to cheap out on many of the attractions characters (If it's based on a movie that did well then odds are they can only get supporting actors). Like Robin Willams did Time Keeper (it looks a little like Tom Morrow to me), then dino had supporting characters from 2 sitcoms, and there are more but I don't feel like going through all of them. Plus it isn't like Nathan Lane is on fire anymore.:D