PDA

View Full Version : vendor wars

Pages : [1] 2

SUNSHINE4565
05-03-2002, 05:48 PM
is there any old (odv cast members) that remember Vendor wars?????
with Rob Campbell as (obi-wan) :D

corrinhorn
05-03-2002, 11:50 PM
As far as I know, Most of the odv cast members on here are new(since you were working ODV). Give us the gist of it, Rob is now a manager for the tuggers (I believe it's the tuggers) and so I don't see him as much, but he is the best part of working in ODV, so laid back about it all...If you don't want to post it, PM me!:D

PhilMP
05-04-2002, 12:12 AM
LOL!! I have to ask him about this, never thought he'd succumb to a crazy scheme like "Vendor Wars." :)

Polar33
05-04-2002, 01:00 AM
Yep...Rob's now in charge of Tuggers, Stewards, checklists, where the ODV management eats for lunch, and other misc. tasks. Let me in on it too...I must say I am a little curious. BTW how old is "old"? Considering how long Rob has been with the company this could have happened before I was even born!

SUNSHINE4565
05-05-2002, 01:26 PM
HMMM about Rob..... yummie.... "get a degree, dont turn B" Rob says all the time ......i wish i could post the picture of Rob in the obi wan costume..:D ...
so are you saying he is not controlling the blue team anymore?????????

Glow is just not Glow without the Master himself in charge...

and to answer how old is old.... hmmm it was before this team thing came about .. where every ODV cast member was taught EVERYTHING!!!!!! the good ole days ......:D

PhilMP
05-05-2002, 05:54 PM
Haha, one of my friends caught that lecture just a few weeks ago after he announced that he turned B and wasn't going to school. :)

And NOOOOOO!!! The good ole days was not when ODV was one big department. We went back to "one team, one dream" and it's horrible!!! All our new hires don't know what they're doing, and the vendors that have been here for a while have to pick up the slack!! It's more like "Blue, Red, and Yellow combine to make a color that looks like poo."

Phil

Polar33
05-06-2002, 01:50 AM
I've gotten the lecture too, I cant think of many people who haven't. Sunshine, you must let us in on the Vendor Wars story! My mind is just running wild with all of the possibilities. I would also love to see that picture!

There was a good reason that ODV split into those teams...it just got too big. Not to mention that those were the days that casting was picky about who they hired. Now of days they seam to be letting anybody in. Training is a joke...it used to take 3 days to train on only 1/3 of the department now they cram the whole thing into 2 and 1/2 days. Like Phil said...leaving those who know better (and still care) do pick up after them.

"You love your job Polar" -My favorite Rob-ism

Ext 4661
05-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Further to "how old is old..."

I was last a vendor over 10 years ago and this "vendor wars" doesn't sound familiar at all.

However, Rob Campbell is familiar. I think at that time, he had already been with ODV for several years...he was a lead when I first started almost 15 years ago. It's great to hear that people still think so highly of him. He was one of the few leads in ODV that have stuck out in my memory for positive reasons. He was definitely one of the best guys to work with.

BTW...a couple of years ago there was an ODV website that has since disappeared. Anyone know of anything else out on the web for ODV? This whole team concept is foreign to old timers like us and it would be cool to keep up with what's going on these days.

PhilMP
05-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Okay, anyone who stays in vending more than 5 years is what I term "old," especially if you haven't moved to Inventory Controller.

And Rob was a lead?? I just kinda thought he came with the park.

And let me clarify the now-defunct, with everyone wishing it came back, team concept:

Red Team: Sold Lemonade, Hot Dogs, worked the Cappo wagon, Beverages (cold and hot), Tamales, Chimichangas

Yellow Team: Churros, Pretzels, Cotton Candy, Stadium Vending, Funnel Cakes

Blue Team: Balloons, Glow, Ice Cream (best one if you ask me, but I'm biased. Of course, Blue Team's concept of cleaning was pouring hot water into Ice Cream wagons every Saturday)

Phil

Polar33
05-06-2002, 11:37 PM
Wow...It's starting to look like an ODV reunion in here!

Ah yes...Blue team's concept of cleaning :rolleyes: I coulda sworn that Blue team's concept of cleaning was to leave all of the glow trash in the pushcarts so that the Red and Yellow teams have to fish it out of their drinks the next day. :D

Rob was also a union rep at one point too. Heck, I don't think that there is anything he hasn't done in the 20+ years he has worked there.

I saw the ODV website a while back. I bookmarked it and a few months later it dissappeared. I've done some searches and have come back with a few things but nothing anything like the ODV website.

SUNSHINE4565
05-07-2002, 06:56 AM
ODV... its a part of the park that is just the best.... back in my days when we were just one team it was good .. you didnt have to only do one thing .. you were trained on everything which made coming to work alot more fun cause you had no idea what you were gonna do that day... Im not saying that the teams are bad .. im saying that i missed the days when if someone was walking by and you really had to go to the bathroom you could rely on your fellow odv cast... when it changed to teams .. you got alot of .. IM blue..... i dont know what to do? or IM red i cant.. so it was like people began to be sheltered.. then of course someone like me who was trained on everything couldnt pick one team to play on...EXCEPT Rob has a big pull on me ...

as far as vendor wars go... there are not to many people who remember it but it was alot of fun.. we filmed through out the park after hours. and we wore the most freakiest costumes that we would go and check out .. the theme was down to star wars sorta but vending pushed into it .. you should ask Rob about it ..we even used our empty wagons and used them as all sorts of things... hmmmm yikes.......we were weird....

so what team are you guys? and who are the managers that are still there... last i heard.. Rob was there and chris for blue...
wendy kenderes was for the yellow team as managers..

Ext 4661
05-07-2002, 08:23 AM
yes...the old days when you had absolutely no idea what may happen to your shift and where you may end up. we also had somewhat less democratic scheduling back then. I believe things have changed somewhat? we used to have a scheduler in the dept who wrote in everything by hand and folks who were in favor with him (read: females) would rate good shifts and folks who weren't (read: male) would have poor shifts. I must have offended him somehow to have rated 5 grad nites in one season and all of 'em on churros...i gotta tell ya, churros 6 s*cks at 3am...

as far as who was around back then...i can't really remember many of the leads but some of our supervisors at the time are probably still around.

i was a vendor '88-'90...any other old timers around here?

SUNSHINE4565
05-07-2002, 09:17 AM
LOL.... you are right about the whole scheduler thing... they did write it all in by hand and if you were not their favorite.. then yes you got stuck on churro's 6 or popcorn 10 (toontown) or ice cream 2 (tommorrowland) that is true... just seems like there was more of a unity when they were one.... now that the computer makes all the schedules then the fav's had to stop to a degree.. then leads would steal people to play on there fav places.. popcorn 4 is still my fav...

corrinhorn
05-07-2002, 01:57 PM
good Story Sunshine...It sounds like something that more than a few of us vendors might do in the near future...(what with Episode II and all, hey you never know...) PhilMP, you can probably think of a few of us(Ish, Brian, ME:D...) But thanks a lot! I have no problem working any of the carts... Except Making Cotton Candy. It is not a big hassle, but the way that training is going right now is kinda hard...there is just not enough time to train new hires on the stuff...and anybody who works extra on a cart with a new hire usually ends up being a second trainer anyway...Oh well, hope to see you in the park sometime...

PhilMP I will see you June 14 I believe...;)

PhilMP
05-07-2002, 11:33 PM
Hmmm...I know Ish would do it, but I'm not so sure about Brian. However, don't forget that Robert might be inclined to do it too.

Now regarding scheduling, we are getting scheduled by computer now, but I still see new hires getting scheduled balloon shifts before me, even though balloons is the very first thing I put down on my preferences. Oh well, most of my scheduled shifts now are Stocker shifts and Glow shifts.

Regarding training, even with teams, I never had a problem working churro or pretzel or other types of wagons. However, I've never had to work a cotton candy wagon, which is good since I hate cotton candy. I don't know if it's the quality of training, the quality of trainers, or the fact that our new CMs are really just unsuited for ODV, but I feel like I have to spend an extremely large amount of time teaching somebody how to clean a churro wagon or how to bunch their glow stock at the end of the night.

IMO, I really do think it's the quality of the CM that's causing all this, as well as the large amount of information that must be conveyed in less time. As recently as a year and a half ago, when I hired in, Casting was hiring people that were smart, able to catch onto things quickly, and able to respect authority and be able to interact well with other Vendors. Now...however, while the majority of our new hires are extremely intelligent and able, we do have some that have absolutely no idea what they're doing after 2 weeks on the job.

Finally, regarding Grad Nites, I hate them. I had to work 8 of them last year. Obnoxious, hormone-raged teens in an unsupervised environment is a very bad thing. However, there is no Guest Relations CMs out in force, so we were able to do whatever we wanted to them without getting into trouble.

And corrinhorn, I look forward to another summer of night shifts and cute females dressed in barely anything walking throughout the park.

Phil

Polar33
05-08-2002, 01:03 AM
Sunshine, you have no idea how much I would pay to see that tape. I'm definately going to have to ask Rob about it when I see him next. :)

Personally, I miss how smoothly things used to run with teams. Everyone from the Leads to the Vendors seamed to know exactly what to do within their own team and it all got done. Now, there are a ton of little things that nobody does anymore because they have so many other things to worry about. I do like the flexability that we have now without teams though, no more being confined to the same wagons day after day.

As for who is left management wise...when DCA opened a lot of people went over there and in other directions. Wendy is now over at the Plaza Complex. Chris and Daniel are the only managers left now. Rob is pretty much the only assistant manager that is still here at the moment from when I hired in, there might be someone else but I cant recall which one.

Phil, think of our new hires this way; They can only get better, because it would be impossible for them to get much worse. It's something that I'll be thinking every night this summer I'm sure. :)

SUNSHINE4565
05-10-2002, 08:23 PM
AGREE... with the whole it seemed like teams had there act together . i think it made it really easy to train cause they didnt have so many things to train on. i however liked the variety and the change . that is why i like the multi teams. but im old and also liked wearing that canary yellows costume so who knows....

i know alot of people went to DCA but once a vendor always a vendor.... right?
when i hired into vending it was they were so picky on who got hired then it seems like disney will hire anyone from the last visit i attended.... and not to bag the blue team but ummm come on those balloons should be in a perfect umbrella .... back in the old days you were frowned upon for having unperfect balloons.....

as for vendor wars there are pictures and clips of the film somewhere on this internet thingie.. ill try and find them.. i have alot of them but i dont know where to put the pictures at .. not to mention i think i should get at least Master Rob Campbells permission before i post a picture of him in umm an obi wan costume... he he he .. yummie.....

as for a odv website .. yes it was there not to long ago but when i went back it said page cannot be displayed so i thought it went away.. hmmm ill have to ask one of the other odv people.....

PhilMP
05-12-2002, 12:31 PM
Casting will hire pretty much anyone for ODV. And the reason we have unperfect balloon umbrellas is because we have new hires getting <b><i>scheduled</b></i> balloon shifts, and veteran vendors end up getting shifts that they don't even have on their preferences. I think scheduling needs to get its act together.

Phil

ODV944
05-23-2002, 03:09 PM
I too would be interested in some of those old pictures. What great memories I have of that summer. If anyone has posted pictures and or video of the movie (was it ever finished?) please let me know. thanks for the memories.

-Barry

SUNSHINE4565
05-23-2002, 05:35 PM
HEY BARRY...
I DO HAVE SEVERAL OF THOSE VENDOR WARS PICTURES AND OF ALL THE OLD CAST IN OUR YELLOWS...... YAY THE HAPPY DAYS...

ODV944
05-23-2002, 07:02 PM
Sunshine,
if you ever get the chance to post them online let me know, I would love to see them. by the way does anyone have a copy of the video? I would love to watch that.

SUNSHINE4565
05-23-2002, 07:20 PM
Barry.. the only living person to have that video is brian.. who i still have contact with...... i can ask him about the video it self ... but you know what happened when the odv crew split up ...... bitter divorces :crying:
i do have some of the pictures that i can post ... i have to get master rob campbells permission first.....

ODV944
05-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Wow, that is a name I haven't heard in a while. How is he doing/what is he up to? Who else do you keep in touch with?

If I remember correct, wasn't it Brian, Chris and Kevin who were putting together the vendor wars video? Yeah I think it was them, how are they do they still work in ODV? It would be great to get together with the old cast of vendor wars and talk about the memories

SUNSHINE4565
05-24-2002, 03:05 PM
actually i still talk to Brian ...... but the rest of them had a falling out after .. the las vegas night thing ..... they havent talked since then......... none of them work for odv anymore.. kevin has been back a couple of times.... ..
i still talk to shawn williams.. and bernadette....brian and chris and rob campbell of course... kelly wooliver occasionaly and lisa woods to name a few...
what about you

ODV944
05-24-2002, 06:35 PM
Acutally I lost touch with everyone who worked there, too bad everyone had a falling out. By the way who are you? you seem to know everyone. And if you talk to Brian would you ask if he would make a copy of that tape for me?