PDA

View Full Version : Pressed pennies

emilousmom
07-31-2006, 10:00 PM
I feel everywhere we go these are arond now! So after looking at the Precious Moments post , I saw Disney has 50 of these around the park for all 50 years! Anyone have them all and how long did it take you? What a cool thing to do! My kid would love it, don't think I have the patience for it though!

Ang

DrewR
08-01-2006, 04:46 AM
I collected all 50. It does not take very long if you are prepared and have pennies (use pre-1982 pennies) and quarters ready for use when you see a machine. Alternatively, you can get a sheet with the location of all the elongated coin machines from Town Hall.

Uncle Orville
08-01-2006, 05:04 AM
If I remember right there are 9 machines for 27 pennies in The Arcade on Main Street, but not all were 50th pennies.
I think some 50th were in DCA but that shouldn't be a problem with a Park Hopper.
City Hall will give you a list of machines for all pressed coins, but sometimes machines are removed for repair or construction.
Get the list when you first get into the park and collect pennies as you go through the park.
Use an M & M's Mini container to hold your quarters and pennies.
Stack two quarters and a penny on top of two quarters and a penny untill the tube is full and shut the top.
Some shops were not allowed to "sell" their quarters and pennies, but there are machines to break $1, and $5 bills to quarters at some locations.

disneyhound
08-01-2006, 05:21 AM
...have pennies (use pre-1982 pennies)...
Why that vintage; metal alloy properties?

yellowrosedtxn
08-01-2006, 05:28 AM
You can also check out this thread for a ton of good information on the penny presses:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=53988&highlight=penny+press

GeminiAngel
08-01-2006, 05:49 AM
I also like the pressed Quarters too! :fez:

hg0079
08-01-2006, 08:24 AM
we are going to do these!

The youngest one will enjoy doing so...
we already got the locations on a website that told us picture,location,year

We will also purchase one of the books to keep them in...anyone know the price for the booklet

bradk
08-01-2006, 08:34 AM
parkpennies.com if it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere

Disneymademoiselle
08-01-2006, 08:44 AM
To celebrate the 50th, I smash only 2005 pennies:geek:. Everyone thinks I am crazy because I can't actually see the "2005" once the penny meets its magical demise, but I know it's there.

mulansgirl
08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
I got a brand new roll of pennies so they were all shinny and when we pressed them my husband made sure that the head was facing the same way on every pressed penny so the picture was on the heads side and the Magical milestones was on the tales side. He is so cute when he is obsesive.

I think the books were 7 or 8 dollars I think. dont quote me on it.

yay a fun quest for the family. I love quests.

quadaunt
08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
There are actually 51 Magical Milestones (50th Anniversary) pennies -- 1955 - 2005. And as was mentioned above, using pre-1982 pennies will give you the nicest result as pre-1982 pennies were 97% copper. After that date they are 97% zinc, creating 'silver' streaks in the pressed penny (and they tarnish more easily and aren't as easy to polish up nice and shiny again). You can easily shine up the design side of the penny after pressing with a rubber eraser or a small dab of copper cleaner. I used a penny for each year from 1955 - 1981 that had a corresponding date to the Magical Milestones penny I was pressing (a 1955 penny for the 1955 Magical Milestones pressed penny, etc.). For those who are coin collectors and are thinking "Eek! She pressed a wheat penny!," :eek: I did confirm with the coin shop owner where I purchased the wheat pennies that they had a value of $1 or less on the coin collecting market.;) The pre-1982 pennies (if you haven't cleaned and polished them before pressing) have a nice patina (some would call it 'tarnish') that allows you to see the date clearly, even after pressing. Simply polish the design side afterwards with a rubber eraser or a dab of copper cleaner. Even if you've already cleaned and polished your pennies before pressing you can apply a light stain to the 'heads' side of the penny so that the date will show (diehard penny pressers often do this). To keep your pressed pennies from tarnishing you can apply a light coat of clear nail polish. That way you don't have to keep polishing them as they tarnish (and the new pennies will tarnish rapidly). BTW, there are no 50th quarters, even though there are sleeves in the Magical Milestones Penny Press Book (price of book is $7) to hold six quarters. There are also more penny sleeves than there are 50th pennies.

mulansgirl
08-01-2006, 09:39 AM
only one extra spot and I filled it in with the back side. I thought it was nice of them to press both sides so I wanted to show it off.
the quarter spots made me mad I wanted to fill them in but there was nothing left in that set to fill them in with. I would have given them more money.

cstephens
08-01-2006, 04:45 PM
only one extra spot and I filled it in with the back side. I thought it was nice of them to press both sides so I wanted to show it off.
the quarter spots made me mad I wanted to fill them in but there was nothing left in that set to fill them in with. I would have given them more money.

This was us exactly. I think our duplicate penny to be used for the backside was Space Mountain. The husband and a friend and I spent part of a day doing this quest. It was fun. I think we missed two machine's worth because they were out of order, so we had to complete the quest on a different day.

DianeM
08-01-2006, 09:21 PM
I like the quarters and nickels (there are only a few nickels) better than the pennies. They cost a bit more, but you can really see the images, and the coins stay shiny much longer than the pressed pennies, which tend to oxidise.

I also like the pressed Quarters too! :fez:

DianeM
08-01-2006, 09:23 PM
The town hall list is not always perfectly up to date. You're better off with a list from parkpennies.com

I collected all 50. It does not take very long if you are prepared and have pennies (use pre-1982 pennies) and quarters ready for use when you see a machine. Alternatively, you can get a sheet with the location of all the elongated coin machines from Town Hall.

annieb727
08-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Is there any way to find out if some are out of order BEFORE going to check them all out? I want to get them when I go, but I'd be totally bummed to get thru most of them and find that a few are out of order...this will be my last chance to get them before the 50th is over...

And I was planning to get a few sets - for various people that can't make it to the 50th...