PDA

View Full Version : How Big IS the Monte Cristo?

MissKIA
07-31-2006, 02:34 PM
I keep reading that they monte cristo is so filling and can be easily shared by two people. Is it served as one sandwich or two? I can't see one sandwich being that filling for one person?!? I've seen pictures of it (two triangels) and it just doesn't look that big?

writerevie
07-31-2006, 03:44 PM
It's a pretty big sandwich. You could probably finish the entire thing only IF you don't eat anything beforehand. It's a deep-fried meat and cheese sandwich, so it is quite heavy.

My sister and I shared one just two weeks ago, and we weren't able to finish our individual portions, and that was two slices each! Her bf ordered the same thing, and his plate came with four slices, and he had hard time finishing the sandwich.

It's pretty filling. Remember, looks can be deceiving, and that's definitely true in the case of the Monte Cristo.

Gone2Disneyland
07-31-2006, 04:22 PM
writerevie's correct. It's a "normal" sized sandwich that batter dipped and fried, then sliced into quarters now (they used to slice it only in half before). So the quarter sized pieces become deceptively substantial despite their relatively small size. I've eaten an entire MC sandwich, but I might split it the next time so I'm not feeling quite so stuffed.

kiwifuz
07-31-2006, 09:42 PM
I have eaten the whole sandwich before. But barely. This was before the menu changes, so it wasn't served with all of the side dishes. The last time I didn't touch the pasta salad that it used to come with and was stuffed. Our PS time was the final lunch seating so I hadn't eaten anything since really early for breakfast and still barely ate it.

I think with the sides it has now, it is definitely a dish that could be split.

Doofy
08-01-2006, 08:30 AM
If you are eating at the Blue Bayou then for $4 you can pay the split plate fee and have half a sandwich and the side dish. That would be filling for two. At Cafe Orleans they do not give you a side dish with the sandwich so it may not be as filling for two people. My wife had one last weekend and she only ate half.

jazzysmom
08-01-2006, 10:25 AM
I can only eat half myself. I hope my DH will share with me the next time I have one!

MrsPooh
08-01-2006, 12:03 PM
I haven't ever had one in DL, but have made them at home from the DL recipe, and they are quite filling with lots of meat and cheese. Then the breading and deep frying leave a big crust on top of that. Not to mention the jam on the side! ;)

MrPooh has always been a big eater, and he can get through most of one, but he says it is awfully rich.

adriennek
08-01-2006, 12:13 PM
I don't know if it's the same as the serving at the Blue Bayou but the Cafe Orleans Monte Cristo is smaller than the MC previously served at the Bayou. They present it differently, too. In the past, at BB, it was two triangles. Now they cut the triangles in half and it comes to the table as 4 separate pieces.

I actually ate 3 of my 4 pieces and probably could've eaten the 4th if my Weight Watchers guilt wasn't working on me ;) In the past I could not finish an entire sandwich.

Adrienne

Vegitabeta
08-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what does a Monte Cristo consist of? Anyone got a pic?

Goosegirl
08-01-2006, 01:21 PM
DH just ate it last Monday at the Cafe Orleans and it came with no sides. He ate the whole thing. It is much smaller than it used to be a the Blue Bayou.

writerevie
08-01-2006, 07:53 PM

Ham and three different cheeses, I think. Or was that two cheeses. Anyway, it's that, in bread, deep fried in batter, served with jam. No pic. Sorry, maybe someone else does. Darkbeer might have one; he usually has really good pics of everything at Disneyland. (Thanks Darkbeer!)

Gone2Disneyland
08-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Alright, let's see if this works. I've had this account for a long time and never really used it. I just added some recent shots I took of the sandwich along with the salad and fries I ordered. Looking at the shots again, I realized the plate for the MC was really huge. :)

http://caketopper-gone2disneyland.buzznet.com/user/photos/?id=3109343

Click on the other thumbnail pictures in the "My Photos" box to see the other two food shots.

I Heart Disneyland!
08-02-2006, 12:20 AM
I haven't ever had one in DL, but have made them at home from the DL recipe, and they are quite filling with lots of meat and cheese. Then the breading and deep frying leave a big crust on top of that. Not to mention the jam on the side! ;)

And WHEN exactly will you be serving these, my dear? ;) Some I Hearts might have to show up on your doorstep! :)

I Heart Disneyland!
08-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Alright, let's see if this works. I've had this account for a long time and never really used it. .

Hey! Cool food photos. Now I'm hungry for DL food!

stan4d_steph
08-02-2006, 06:08 AM
AVP did a great photo report on the new food at Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou. There is a photo of the three-cheese Monte Cristo served at Cafe Orleans in the report that should give you an idea of the size. Here's a link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm060623av).

Vegitabeta
08-02-2006, 06:18 AM
Thanks, looks nice:)