PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain makes me sick!

Pages : [1] 2 3

DisneyBubbles
07-31-2006, 08:50 AM
Ok, well I used to looooove SM. But after the refurb, I noticed that every time I go on the ride I get nauseaous right at the end where the tracks keep spiraling to the right over and over again. I dont have a problem with spiraling and I dont even have a problem with loops etc.... but spiraling in the same direction over and over again just makes me sick to my stomach! It's like going on the tea cups and spinning in the same direction over and over again. UGH!
Now, I know most of you will disagree with me. My husband doesnt have a problem with it and neither does the rest of my family. But I for one wish they wouldnt have changed the tracks like that. Last time I was there I got so sick that it ruined the rest of my day there. :(

Barbossa
07-31-2006, 08:58 AM
The same thing happens to me. I get a little motionsick right at the end of the ride. You...are...not...alone. :)

Andrew
07-31-2006, 09:00 AM
The track layout hasn't changed at all. It's exactly the same as it was before the rebuild. The cars are new, and the tracks have been rebuilt, but the ride is essentially the same as it was.

DisneyBubbles
07-31-2006, 09:05 AM
Actually, the tracks were changed around a bit. Before the refurb, they never had the spiraling to the right over and over again at the end.

Opus1guy
07-31-2006, 09:08 AM
Actually, the tracks were changed around a bit. Before the refurb, they never had the spiraling to the right over and over again at the end.

Afraid that's not true and Andrew is correct. Not only do I know from talking with those that worked on the refurb...but also all those tighter and tighter right turns were always my favorite part of the ride!!

The track layout hasn't changed at all. It's exactly the same as it was before the rebuild. The cars are new, and the tracks have been rebuilt, but the ride is essentially the same as it was.

Right. I can't for the life of me imagine why you're getting sick now if you weren't before. It's exactly the same.

Unless some of the other new show elements are somehow effecting you, and you just think it's those right-turns causing the problem.

I have no idea of your age, but some people do get more sensitive to motion sickness as they get older. Could it be that in the years that have passed between when you used to enjoy it and now...that you've crossed into a different age category? :)

Barbossa
07-31-2006, 09:08 AM
I think what makes me motion sick is the lack of eye-inner ear synchronization when you got through the spirals. Your eyes tell you one thing, your inner ear tells you another (which is one of the main causes of motion sickness).

DisneyBubbles
07-31-2006, 09:10 AM
"....Space Mountain being closed for two years and all they have to show for it is mostly cosmetic changes and a slightly different track layout,.."

The layout of the tracks were changed a bit. That and cosmetic changes and the sound system were all part of the project. The above quote is from Jim Hills article about Iger's plan to change DCA.

tigga please
07-31-2006, 09:12 AM
i spoke to a couple of CMs during my last visit a couple weeks ago, and they said too many people have complained about the ease it takes to spin the tea cups wildly. so they've tightened the wheel in response, but i tell ya..im a big guy and i felt like i was going to rip my arms off trying to spin that tea cup. i guess its time to add some more weights to the old curling bar.
as for SM, i dunno...it seemed a tad faster when it first opened. but it seemed a lot slower a couple weeks ago IMO

DisneyBubbles
07-31-2006, 09:12 AM
Afraid that's not true and Andrew is correct.

:)

As a CM in corporate, I know for a fact they changed the tracks slighty unfortunatly. It wasnt too much of a change but enough to make me sick. LOL! UGH!

kohl
07-31-2006, 09:40 AM
I've noticed that if I keep my eyes closed for the beginning where all the lights go crazy, before the ride actually starts, then close my eyes when the ride is over and they do the crazy lights again, I don't get sick.

DisneyBubbles
07-31-2006, 09:42 AM
I've noticed that if I keep my eyes closed for the beginning where all the lights go crazy, before the ride actually starts, then close my eyes when the ride is over and they do the crazy lights again, I don't get sick.

That sounds like a good idea actually. Those crazy lights do add to the sick feeling.

ghoofie
07-31-2006, 09:55 AM
I get terribly dizzy at the end of Rapids. Not so much during the last , spinning, drop...but AFTER...when you are lazily drifting to the unload area and slowly spinning. I have to close my eyes or I can barely walk when I get off the raft.

Shadowcat
07-31-2006, 10:15 AM
I remember from before that near the end the track does keep giving those sharp turns over and over again. As a kid, I used to psyche myself up for the intesity of the end of the ride turns because that's the only part that really pushed my "limits".

Whether or not they increased the sharpness of those turns with the rebuild I don't know. They seemed the same to me as before. I did notice that the whole ride was much darker than I remember (you could easily see the track ahead of you before the refurb), so maybe not being able to "see" where you were going as much affects the way your body reacts to the turns. Before, it was easy to be mentally prepared for the direction you were going next, whereas now it's a bit harder to tell.

Shadowcat
07-31-2006, 10:21 AM

I rode it this May and noticed that they changed the way the star field moves as you come out of the "light tunnel" at the beginning. Before the refurb (or at last ten years ago when I rode it) the star fields just sort of spun hap-hazardly along with the image of the asteriod (aka the cookie). After the refurb, the star field you see at the end of the light tunnel actual rotates at the same speed and direction as the lights in the tunnel do, giving you the feeling everything is rotating in zero gravity. I can totally see how that could increase the feeling of motion sickness in some people compared to before. It caught me off guard quite a bit! lol!

Disney Vault
07-31-2006, 10:22 AM
i spoke to a couple of CMs during my last visit a couple weeks ago, and they said too many people have complained about the ease it takes to spin the tea cups wildly. so they've tightened the wheel in response, but i tell ya..im a big guy and i felt like i was going to rip my arms off trying to spin that tea cup. i guess its time to add some more weights to the old curling bar.
as for SM, i dunno...it seemed a tad faster when it first opened. but it seemed a lot slower a couple weeks ago IMO
The tea cups aren't even fun anymore to me. Instead I just go on Rogger Rabbits Cartoon Spin. Much easier to spin those.

Cat H
07-31-2006, 10:39 AM
Space Mountain has always made me sick. I nicknamed it "barf mountain" because I was always sick after riding it. In May I took a dramamine motion sickness pill about two hours before riding space and I was not sick at all.

MadasaHatter
07-31-2006, 10:40 AM
"Don't lets be silly!!!":fez:

OK OK OK The track is exactly the same/isn't the same.

It is way smoother and less jerky and while I like to be tossed, turned, spun etc. I HATE the jerky thing.....hope they fix that on MATTERHORN.....but all of the lights are numbing and dizzying (which I love) but I can see how that makes you sick. My theory is DEFINITELY the light show..... Sorry about that.

DisneyBubbles
07-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Barf Mountain!?!?!? LOL!!! That is funny! I am going to adopt that name for it from now on!! :fez:

cstephens
07-31-2006, 11:11 AM
Yep, the spinning in a circle at the end is the same as it used to be before the refurb - I really like that part, but if I'm having a bad day, I know I can't go on Space because it'll bother me. If they made any changes to the track at all, it's minor enough that it alone shouldn't have any different effect on anyone. I've noticed that the two "drops" aren't quite as much as they used to be (I wish they were), but that's also affected by how fast the rocket is going and what the weight distribution of the passengers are and where on the rocket I'm sitting, so I'm not entirely sure if it's just a slight change in the track.

Not sure why tossing up someone's quote from a website I don't find credible or playing the "I'm a CM" card (net vets know that even park CMs are notorious for having the wrong information, much less someone from corporate who's most likely further removed) is supposed to give anyone's opinion more credibility than my actually experiencing the ride for myself.

MrsG
07-31-2006, 11:14 AM
Space Mountain has always made me sick. I nicknamed it "barf mountain"
There is Barf Mountain, Barf Tours, California Barfin', Tower of Terrible Barfing, Malibu Barfing, and sometimes even Big Thunder Barfing Mountain. Don't even get me started on the Sit and Barf rides: Teacups, Roger Rabbit, Orange Stinger, etc....

MadasaHatter
07-31-2006, 11:18 AM
"Don't lets be silly!!!!"

:fez:

My sister and I each ate a bowl of clam chowder and then rode the tea cups three times in a row.....no problem. Bring it on!!!

Disney Vault
07-31-2006, 12:37 PM
There is Barf Mountain, Barf Tours, California Barfin', Tower of Terrible Barfing, Malibu Barfing, and sometimes even Big Thunder Barfing Mountain. Don't even get me started on the Sit and Barf rides: Teacups, Roger Rabbit, Orange Stinger, etc....
Remind me never to sit next to you on a ride.:D

MrsPooh
07-31-2006, 12:58 PM
I have no idea of your age, but some people do get more sensitive to motion sickness as they get older.

Thank you, Opus. I thought I was going nuts! I get nauseated when I ride Star Tours if I don't take Dramamine first. That never used to happen before.

I also have the added benefit of migraines that can be triggered by flashing lights or jerky eye movements of any kind.

We always pack the Dramamine before we go!

mystycalchyk
07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
I love it love it love it love it!! Its the best for me. Better than ever before (because it doesnt beat my legs to death) So smooooooooooooooth. We ride it at least 6 or 7 times everytime we go now. And the soundtrack. Oy Vey, it just makes me happy listening to it.

samkj
07-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Just to add to the track change/not changed debate. From Wikipedia

On July 15, 2005, only two days before Disneyland's official 50th Anniversary, Space Mountain reopened from a major refurbishment that started in April, 2003. The new Space Mountain features new rocket sleds, a new queue, new music (composed by Michael Giacchino), new special effects and a storyline. The completely rebuilt track is the exact same layout as originally designed by Imagineer Bill Watkins in 1976. The original track was removed and the foundation was laid 30 feet deeper, making the ride safer than ever. It is worth noting that Disneyland's rockets no longer glow in the dark like they previously had in the past.

I have no idea of what happened in the changes as it had been a VERY long time since I had ridden SM prior to the refurb. Adding the spiral sequence at the end seems more than a "minor" track change, so I tend to believe it is not new.