PDA

View Full Version : Refresh My Memory - Monorail [stop in DCA]

dlandnut
07-31-2006, 06:22 AM
I know that this has been discussed before, but alas, I'm older and not necessarily wiser.

When Disney built CA, why didn't they put an official "stop" for the Monorail at CA? It seems to me it would be a little more convenient for those folks with disabilities (hubby and brother included).

Is it even feasible that this is something Disney would consider for the future?:)

ralfrick
07-31-2006, 07:02 AM
Purely a guess, but not everyone has park hopper tickets.

Cheers.

Oldtimer
07-31-2006, 07:08 AM
As I understand it; at Disneyland the Monorail is part of the Disneyland Park. It is a Tomorrowland attraction and You must have a disneyland ticket to ride it. Unlike the oldtimes there is no longer a way to buy a round trip on the monorail from the Hotel back to the Hotel. ( They used to use the Tail cone for the Round trip riders. )

I Believe when they planned the DCA they wanted it to be separate, another place to come visit, another theme park next to Disneyland. Having the monorail stop in some other park wouldn't make sense that way.

If it had a stop in DCA the ALL the riders would have to have parkhopper tickets, or at least the ones wanting to exit would need parkhoppers; and boarders also would need parkhoppers as well. This would slow the lines a lot I suspect.

If they ever decide to make all tickets parkhoppers they could perhaps add a stop for the monorail in DCA but no one knows if that is in their plans at this time.

Hope this helps,

Oldtimer:cool:

Opus1guy
07-31-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm pretty certain it would slow the dispatch frequency and therefore the average maximum daily capacity of the Monorail as well.

Heck...the thing would barely get up to speed before it had to make it's first stop.

Sub Maniak
07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
It might be included with the heavy dose of Placemaking DCA will get!:)

Lost Boy
07-31-2006, 06:58 PM
This cause a bit of a fuss on another board, but the Monorail is an Engineering Landmark and as such has a plaque at the Tomorrowland Boarding Station declaring it as such. And as such, according to a senior staff member I asked about this very thing, they cannot change the monorail in any way from the original route. The only move that has ever been done, since the extension to the old Hotel Stop, is that the track was moved several feet to go around the Indiana Jones Show Building, and it took all kinds of pleas and requests to get that done. So, according to this senior CM, there will never be any changes allowed on the actual route in reference to any station add ons or major changes.

I can't say if this is true, but it also holds for the Disneyland Castle. It is a State Historical Landmark and cannot be changed except for the decorations that are overlaid for special events or seasonal changes. But the physical build of the Castle cannot be touched, expect to protect it from sinking into the moat or things like that.

Alex S.
07-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Here (http://ohp.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=21445) is a list of California State Historical Landmarks in Orange County. Sleeping Beauty Castle is not on the list.

The Disneyland Monorail was named a National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers in December 1986 (http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Communities/History/Landmarks/5531.pdf). While the program is intended to promote preservation and the designation is given in cooperation with the owners it is not a legal designation that prevents modification by Disney. And the designation is for the entire system, including the trains which have been changed and are currently in the process of being changed without any problem. The tracks themselves are not all that significant form an engineering perspective.

Unless there is other information I've been unable to find. If you can point to the discussion on another board I would be very interested in seeing it.

Lost Boy
08-01-2006, 06:16 AM
Like I said, I can't say for sure if this CM knew what he was talking about or not. All I know is what he told us when we asked him about why they didn't put a station in DCA. This same thing happened on the other board as well. So I am only repeating what was told me.

Alex S.
08-01-2006, 07:04 AM
I know, I've heard the same thing as well and figured if I read the other site I might see more details that would help me confirm or refute it.

kingzedekiya
08-08-2006, 01:51 PM
The reason Monorail doesn't stop in DCA is because it would be to much of a hassle to figure out if people have park hoppers or just DCA only or DL only tickets plus it wold force Mono to work harder to stop and start back up.