PDA

View Full Version : Mint juleps

rosie
07-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Where can I get a mint julip at Disneyland? Thank you

stan4d_steph
07-30-2006, 06:29 PM
Among others, you can get them at the Mint Julep Bar and French Market.

Opus1guy
07-30-2006, 09:05 PM
Where can I get a mint julip at Disneyland? Thank you

Club 33.

Oh! You mean one of those Mint Juleps!

;)

rosie
07-30-2006, 09:19 PM
wise guy! Sigh......

TTFN92
07-30-2006, 09:38 PM
I LOVE Mint Juleps :D . They are so refreshing, especially when it is hot outside. I like the ones at the Mint Julep Bar the best because they come with a sprig of mint and a cherry. The ones at the French Market are just the drink. I think the cherry really enhances the flavor. You can also get them at the Blue Bayou. Oooo! I want one now!

Vegitabeta
07-31-2006, 12:50 AM
I got one at the Blue Bayou.

GrumpyUTboi
07-31-2006, 02:56 AM
Here is a cheap way to enjoy the most disgusting drink at DL without paying the high price. Go buy a bottle of Listerine or Scope, it has to be the mint variety. Take a big swig and then gag on it. There is no better feeling than gagging on a mint julep or minty Scope on a hot day at DL, at leat with the Scope you have enough for another day.

mcow1
07-31-2006, 06:47 AM
And, Cafe Orleans.

Opus1guy
07-31-2006, 08:51 AM
Take a big swig and then gag on it. There is no better feeling than gagging on a mint julep or minty Scope on a hot day at DL...

Funny...this was pretty much my reaction the first time I drank a real Mint Julep! But the taste quickly grew on me and now it's one of my favorite hot weather drinks. :)

Disneyland's version of the Mint Julep is only similar to the real thing in that it has the same name. While most non-alcoholic versions of popular cocktails usually at least resemble their original boozy counterpart...Disneyland's version of this historic cocktail does not, in any way imaginable. Even in appearance! While a real Mint Julep is a "clear" drink in appearance (only cloudy by glass condensation frost or improper mixing)...Disneyland's is a cloudy mix of who knows what (I was told once that two of it's major ingredients were lime juice concentrate and frozen lemonade concentrate). Disneyland's looks more like Gatorade to me, than any Mint Julep I've ever seen. Real Mint Juleps are brownish in color. Disneyland's are green! Guess they wanted theirs to be green because mint is green...a mental color association kinda thing.

For those that aren't adult beverage drinkers, here's what a real one typically looks like:

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/mintjulep.jpg

I've had Disneyland's many times, but unlike GrumpyUTboi...I don't find them utterly repulsive. ;) But then again...I never go out of my way for one either. I don't even think Disneyland's are all that refreshing, myself. They make me thirsty.

Cheers! :)

Doofy
07-31-2006, 10:00 AM
I personally love them. For years it seemed that every time I went to Disneyland the Mint Julep bar was closed. It has been open every time I have gone in the past couple years so I always make sure to get one. I was happy last weekend when I ordered one at Cafe Orleans and it came with the mint leaves and a cherry. I think just the appearance of the drink makes it a little special.

Now if only I could get my hands on some Tahitian Terrace Punch.

Opus1guy
07-31-2006, 10:23 AM
Now if only I could get my hands on some Tahitian Terrace Punch.

Ugh! :) Talk about an almost sickeningly sweet drink! What was that stuff? It tasted like Hawaiian Punch on steroids!

Whenever I drank a Tahitian Terrace Punch, I always felt that I now knew what that sticky red stuff was that folks put in those Hummingbird feeders!

:)

hefferdude
07-31-2006, 11:27 AM
and to the best of my Kentucky and Tennesee friends, a mint julep is properly served in chilled pewter ( the metal transferring the cold to the holder more efficiently ) :cool:

SportyTink
07-31-2006, 12:24 PM
I always love the Mint Juleps because to me it meant that I was at Disneyland!! :fez: You can't get those things that taste that way anywhere else!!!

I totally agree that they are way syrupy so I always do about 1/2 mint julep and 1/2 sprite...Makes them a little more fizzy!!!:fez:

Opus1guy
07-31-2006, 12:45 PM
and to the best of my Kentucky and Tennesee friends, a mint julep is properly served in chilled pewter ( the metal transferring the cold to the holder more efficiently ) :cool:

Your Kentucky and Tennessee friends are quite correct. But that's actually pretty uncommon these days except in the very most genteel and traditional of Southern hospitable beverage establishments. ;)

Most are served in a tall glass these days, even in the South. At the Kentucky Derby (considered by many as the "home" of the Mint Julep)...your posh private Club Level bars serve in traditional pewter...but the vast majority are served in the tall glass. See this friendly Derby vendor:

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/derbyjuleps.jpg

;)