PDA

View Full Version : harmless Disney phrase with new meaning

potzbie
07-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Here is Disneyland psychological (!) anecdode.
I was at the Main Street Railroad Depot.
I heard the announcer say "... now leaving for a trip around the Magic Kingdom."
And I laughed.
The phrase, "Magic Kingdom," triggered a funny memory.
Why?
I wondered, "Where have I heard that phrase in a comedy bit?
I now remember why.
I remember a comedy sketch on a comedy album.
(See "Greatest Hits of the National Lampoon".)

The sketch is a parody of the well-known kiddie television show, "MisterRogers' Neighborhood."
(Locally, I think the TV show was on KCET, which I think is a PBS affiliate.)
The parody was titled, "Mister Roberts," of course.

The main character in the comedy sketch, "Mr. Roberts," sounds like MisterRogers (who was played by Fred Rogers on the televison show) with a sing-song. child-like quality to his voice, and his vocabulary, and his attitude, like countless kiddie show hosts have.

But for this sketch, he is interviewing a jazz bass player.
The jazz bass player is the opposite of Mr. Roberts.
He thinks about money, getting paid for his gigs, getting shafted from his record company, and just does not think the same things as Mr. Roberts thinks about (e.g., "Sheep, and candies") as Mr. Roberts does when Mr. Roberts listen to music.
In this interview, the jazz bass player answers questions from Mr. Roberts in an unexpected, uncompromising way.

But here is the tie-in which makes me laugh nowadays.

The sketch closes with this dialog.
Mr. Roberts: "Well, I'm sure we'd all like to hear you play your bass for us. Are you ready for a trip to the Magic Kingdom?"

Bass Player: "No man. Thanks, but it's a little early in the day. I gotta drive."
:) :) :)

ralfrick
07-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Can you say Egg McMuffin?

Egg-a-muffn.

"Vacation" was originally a story in National Lampoon magazine, and they went to DL, and Clark Griswald shot Walt:eek:. The film was, of course, set in Wallyworld, described in the magazine as "like DL but without lawyers".

Cheers.

darph nader
07-28-2006, 11:16 PM
I remember this routine. Bill Murray was the bass player.:D
I think it's an old SCTV gig. (i think)

nmjohnston874
07-29-2006, 06:59 AM
I had a National Lampoon record album that had that skit as well. The other skits on that album were equally as funny. The skit about the Olymic gymnastic commentators made my sides split. I'm going to have to look through my old LPs to see if I still have it.

ralfrick
07-29-2006, 07:58 AM
I remember this routine. Bill Murray was the bass player.:D
I think it's an old SCTV gig. (i think)
It may well have been a routine from the second city improve group from Chicago, which is different from the Canadian TV show. Many of the original Not Ready For Prime Time Players were in that group, as well as appearing on the NL albums. Of course, I just woke up, so may not be recalling correctly. Never bought any records, but that bit was on the radio a lot at the time. Miss the magazine a lot, though. Years prior to "Animal House" they had an issue that was supposed to be the high school yearbook of Larry Kroger, AKA Pinto.

Cheers.

nmjohnston874
07-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Here's the link for the CD at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002CHIOW/sr=1-2/qid=1154185374/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-3705652-4501763?ie=UTF8&s=music

darph nader
07-29-2006, 11:20 AM
I had a National Lampoon record album that had that skit as well. The other skits on that album were equally as funny. The skit about the Olymic gymnastic commentators made my sides split. I'm going to have to look through my old LPs to see if I still have it.

Thanks. I was a little fuzzy, 2/14hr work days (5hrs sleep between).:|