PDA

View Full Version : Preferred seating for Aladdin is the only good use of preferred seating?

CmHyperion
07-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Everytime I'm working at the preferred seating ticket taking desk I always notice that no one ever uses the preferred seating for any other show except Aladdin. Is prefrerred seating for all the other attractions pretty much useless? Seems like it. They should make it so that those tickets could be used as a fastpass for some non-fastpass rides and just get rid of the preferred seating for those other shows.

Stitch Lover
07-28-2006, 12:13 AM
i have used the preferred seating for the aladdin show. i really liked it. i haven't used it for any of the other attractions. i know we had it for the muppet 4D, but we didn't care to much where we sat. so maybe you are right; the other preferred seating isn't that great.....

Genris
07-28-2006, 07:13 AM
I even question whether it's all that valuable for the Aladdin show. We had to arrive so early (to use the preferred seating tickets) that we would have had pretty good seats anyway. What we got was better, but not a lot better.

I can't remember the others we got with that package, because we didn't use them. Seems like they were for shows that don't come close to selling out.

We "won" preferred seating for the Snow White enchanted musical (at a spontaneous in line trivia contest). Those seats were fabulous. Right down in front, and we didn't have to show up early to get them. They blocked off a set of seats, just for that purpose. That's the way to do preferred seating.

annieb727
07-28-2006, 07:21 AM
We "won" preferred seating for the Snow White enchanted musical (at a spontaneous in line trivia contest). Those seats were fabulous. Right down in front, and we didn't have to show up early to get them. They blocked off a set of seats, just for that purpose. That's the way to do preferred seating.

That would definitely be the BEST way to do it...only problem is they have NO way of knowing how many preferred seating tickets will be coming thru for any one showing - there are so many out there and they're good for ANY show you want. But that's a really great way they did it for the Snow White show.

bradk
07-28-2006, 07:25 AM
i've never even used it for aladdin. i much rather prefer to wait for the mezzanine. the only place i've ever seen the show is front row center mezz.

jcruise86
07-28-2006, 07:55 AM
How does one get Preferred Seating? I hope it's not just another way for Disney to try to get more money out of wealthy people!
Disney should be careful not to have too many reminders for its regular guests that they are not first class. It's like the awful (for some) to walk through the first class sections of airplanes that make (again--just some) people uncomfortable. The much higher levels of customer satisfaction on JetBlue, SW, and Midwest Airlines might be partly due to the fact that everyone is really in it together.

If PS is not just based on $, then nevermind!

jcruise86
07-28-2006, 08:35 AM
. . .the awful (for some) to walk. . .!

Oops. Delete "to" after "(for some)"

Malcon10t
07-28-2006, 12:07 PM
They should make it so that those tickets could be used as a fastpass for some non-fastpass rides and just get rid of the preferred seating for those other shows.If you make it so the tickets are good to be used as a fastpass for a non-fastpass ride, where will you put the line??? There is no fast pass line. You think people asking about the bathroom is bad... Imagine "Where's the fastpass line for Monsters?"

Malcon10t
07-28-2006, 12:11 PM
How does one get Preferred Seating? I hope it's not just another way for Disney to try to get more money out of wealthy people!
Disney should be careful not to have too many reminders for its regular guests that they are not first class. It's like the awful (for some) to walk through the first class sections of airplanes that make (again--just some) people uncomfortable. The much higher levels of customer satisfaction on JetBlue, SW, and Midwest Airlines might be partly due to the fact that everyone is really in it together.

If PS is not just based on $, then nevermind!You get a little coupon for "Priority Seating" for 4 shows (Aladdin, Tough tot be a Bug, Muppets, and something else) when you book your tickets thru AAA or Walt Disney Travel. No cost really. If you are only booking tickets, call them and say you want the Passport Plus package. I never buy from the web, this is so much better overall.

SHOMan
07-28-2006, 01:28 PM
You can also get priority seating for shows, parades and fireworks by taking a private VIP tour. Our tour guide also marched us right up to the front row for Snow White. The tour and perks are really one of the best values in the park.

Susan L
07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
i've never even used it for aladdin. i much rather prefer to wait for the mezzanine. the only place i've ever seen the show is front row center mezz.

This is where I have always wanted to see the show but for some reason have not been able to. Where exactly do you line up for the mezzanine. They have sections roped off in the back for each level but, I have yet to see anyone in the sections other then the orchestra. This last Feb the people who lined up in front under the marquee got to go up to the mezzanine.

PS for the shows seems to be a bunch of hoopla for nothing. You don't need it for any of the shows. Its all about first come first serve. Get there early and you will get a seat. We have had PS for Aladdin twice. Once we showed a CM our PS and he just pointed to the back. The other time I didn't even bother with the PS ticket. Personally I think PS is a big hype to make the customer feel like they are getting something special on those $$$$$ package deals. Hoopla I tell you, Hoopla.

tigga please
07-28-2006, 02:23 PM
im new to the APs i just got and they said i get preferred seating with the card. is there a special number i have to call to get these and do you know if it costs extra $ with the AP?

bradk
07-28-2006, 02:48 PM
for the main standby area, there are 3 lines: orchestra which is the one on the right as you're facing them. i believe mezz is on the left and balcony is in the middle.

they only open the section lines as needed. so the mezz line won't open until the orch line is mostly full. i just ask one of the CMs how they feel about the mezz line opening up for that performance and i just hang out until they open it, so i can be first or near first in line.

CmHyperion
07-28-2006, 10:58 PM
If you make it so the tickets are good to be used as a fastpass for a non-fastpass ride, where will you put the line??? There is no fast pass line. You think people asking about the bathroom is bad... Imagine "Where's the fastpass line for Monsters?"

Hmm yea, I understand what you mean. The only way I could think of such a way to do that would be to use the exit (similar to the way a GAC holder with expedited boarding is put on the ride). The only real thing I'm getting to is that those three other shows should be replaced with something more useful.

CmHyperion
07-28-2006, 11:04 PM
This is where I have always wanted to see the show but for some reason have not been able to. Where exactly do you line up for the mezzanine. They have sections roped off in the back for each level but, I have yet to see anyone in the sections other then the orchestra. This last Feb the people who lined up in front under the marquee got to go up to the mezzanine.

PS for the shows seems to be a bunch of hoopla for nothing. You don't need it for any of the shows. Its all about first come first serve. Get there early and you will get a seat. We have had PS for Aladdin twice. Once we showed a CM our PS and he just pointed to the back. The other time I didn't even bother with the PS ticket. Personally I think PS is a big hype to make the customer feel like they are getting something special on those $$$$$ package deals. Hoopla I tell you, Hoopla.

I think so too, and I work there. From my observations, PS is a waste. Here is why. What we do is we start opening for the PS about 30mins before showtime. We also open the regular line around 30-45mins before show time. So if you just came to the show 30mins before show time and waited in the regular line you would still get really good seats. Also, we only let in 150 PS people, so there is no guarantees that you will get your PS. If I was running the show, I would just get rid of PS all together and just have everyone wait in the regular waiting area, none of this PS stuff! Now I know why some people are really disliking Disney, always after the money!

blackjackdelta
07-30-2006, 03:27 PM
CMHYPERION:
I guess I am stupid, I do not quite understand how/where to line up for the show. I have heard there is a center section where the first few rows would be best to see the whole show. We do have PS tickets, but would rather have a better view to take pics.

Thanks for your time,

Jack

bradk
07-30-2006, 04:19 PM
there are two oft recommended spots for viewing the show: the first row in the last section of the orchestra and the first row of the mezzanine. each for slightly different reasons which I won't get into.

for my money, although I've only seen it from the mezzanine, that's the way to go. if you don't mind spoilers, you can see some of the shots I took of the show starting here: http://bradk.smugmug.com/gallery/1470806/15/71252596

tonytone
07-31-2006, 11:42 AM
Although we didn't get PS for Snow White, we got something pretty close to that--my wife had a GAC stairs pass and thus our family was able to enter before the folks in the main line were allowed to enter; upon entering we were told that we were required to sit in the disabled/handicap seating section, but could move to any other open section once the regular folks were allowed to enter...so we were able to get really great seats in the end. And before someone decides to get on his/her moral soapbox and criticize us for taking advantage of the GAC to get great seats--it was the cast member who unsolicitly (I had only made an innocent comment about how interesting it was that all GAC/disabled folks were required to sit in a specific section) told us that we could move to any open spot once the regular crowd was let in...so if someone thinks that what we did seemed improper--don't criticize us...criticize the CM and/or Disney for permitting such a policy. ;)

But back to the main topic at hand--yeah, we don't even bother using the PS vouchers for ITTBAB, MuppetVision 3D, and Golden Dreams since more often than not those attractions don't seem to attract as large an audience like Aladdin does. Also FWIW--I finally found out that PS for those three shows means you get to sit in row #5; again, given the typical "crowds" for these shows...no big deal.

As far as Aladdin PS itself--IMHO I have found that it's only worth it if you get to the PS line early; the number of folks waiting in the PS line can grow to be a pretty sizable number so if you get there "late" and wanted decent seating in the Orchestra section, you might not get what you want. And, if you don't have a PS and can get to (or near) the front of the regular line...you don't really wind up waiting that much longer than some of the PS folks, and still might wind up w/ a decent Orchestra seat.

Edit/update--whoops, I see CMHyperion more or less already said the same thing I said about Aladdin PS...

Genris
07-31-2006, 12:00 PM
That would definitely be the BEST way to do it...only problem is they have NO way of knowing how many preferred seating tickets will be coming thru for any one showing - there are so many out there and they're good for ANY show you want. But that's a really great way they did it for the Snow White show.

For Snow White, they dropped the rope closing off those seats a few minutes before showtime, and people just moved down and filled them in. I suppose it could have created a stampede, but it didn't.

Reading the other posts though, I see that the number of seats they would need to hold out for PS for Aladdin would be quite large (150?), and that would create much more of a problem, should they not fill, and many of them be empty until just moments before show time. Perhaps that's why they don't rope seats off.

Sub Maniak
07-31-2006, 01:53 PM
Preferred seating is now a big deal in the Muppet ride!

The old man
07-31-2006, 04:19 PM
...Once we showed a CM our PS and he just pointed to the back...
If he was unsmiling guess what CM that probably was.

dhgifford
07-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Preferred seating is now a big deal in the Muppet ride!

Why is that?

CmHyperion
07-31-2006, 10:02 PM
CMHYPERION:
I guess I am stupid, I do not quite understand how/where to line up for the show. I have heard there is a center section where the first few rows would be best to see the whole show. We do have PS tickets, but would rather have a better view to take pics.

Thanks for your time,

Jack

Front row mezz.

CmHyperion
07-31-2006, 10:04 PM
If he was unsmiling guess what CM that probably was.

The reason the cm probably told them to enter the regular entrance was because a) The person didn't show up 30min before show time or b) the PS line is full.

Not our faults if you don't follow the rules.