PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou is Horrible!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DisneyBubbles
07-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Well we went to the Blue Bayou after the recent changes they made and we were very very very dissapointed. First of all, they took the clam chowder off of the menu and our only choice was a house salad or their gumbo! We loved the clam chowder! I dont understand why they no longer give the customers a choice of soups. What if you dont like gumbo? UGH!

Anyway, so we ordered the salad since we both hate gumbo and they brought us these plates with one tiny wedge of iceberg lettuce!! And when I say tiny I mean teenie!! And they were so cheap that they didtn even give us a wedge of romaine lettuce. Iceberg lettuce?? UGH! Then along with the tiny slice of lettuce you got "one" slice of tomato and a TINY slice of avocado. This slice was so small I almost missed it!! Then they had a few crumbs of sausage or something like that and their own lame dressing. We didnt even get a choice of dressing!!
What the heck??! They have better salads at Denny's for crying out loud!!

They also no longer bring a basket of bread. Now you get ONE roll per person!! What are we in a Depression I am not aware of??? We can ask for more if we want but there was nothing wrong with the basket of hot rolls they used to bring.

Then we made the HUGE mistake of ordering the ribs. They were horrible! I actually got nauseous for the rest of the day.

On top of that, they no longer have the variety of dessert choices and for chocolate lovers like us we were dissapointed to see that there were no chocolate desserts at all.

So they raised the prices and brought down the quality! UGH !

Needless to say, we are no longer going to eat at the Blue Bayou. What a shame!! We used to love that place since I was a kid! And now it's not worth the money.:(

DianeM
07-27-2006, 04:03 PM
I'm a cheapskate, so I was turned off by the price rise from the outset. But I was suprised when I told my mother about the new price structure and she told me SHE wouldn't be eating at BB any more. She is normally not as cheap as I am, and she loves BB. With any hope, they will find that their attendance decreases to the point that they have to revamp the prices a bit. Actually, that isn't likely, though. People who are visiting the park will still eat at BB once, "for the atmosphere", and that should be enough to keep them going. Oh well... as long as they keep the dole whip and churro carts alive, I won't starve at DL.

Needless to say, we are no longer going to eat at the Blue Bayou. What a shame!! We used to love that place since I was a kid! And now it's not worth the money.:(

DisneyBubbles
07-27-2006, 04:10 PM
The thing is that we were willing to pay the high prices because we loved the food and the atmosphere. It was a nice treat once in a while. But now the crappy food and high prices are no longer worth the atmoshpere. We'd rather go next door to the River Belle Terrace and get their BBQ ribs (which are awesome!) or their clam chowder in a bread bowl and salad combo (which we LOVE!) For a fraction of the price of Blue Bayou.

Andrew
07-27-2006, 04:21 PM
DisneyBubbles, please post this in MousePlanet's Reviews section (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrbayou) so more people can see it.

cstephens
07-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Hmmm, we had lunch at Blue Bayou a couple weeks ago, and we all enjoyed our food very much. Hopefully, I'll have the review done in the next week or so. I didn't have the salad, but it looked good to me, and the others who did have it enjoyed it a lot. It's not an entree salad - it's a side salad. I'd like to know where all these people are going that have these gourmet Denny's and Hometown Buffets.

I had the gumbo and really liked it. These were the short ribs that I had. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/Bayou/bayou07.jpg) They were yummy! This was the pirated-themed dessert we had. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/Bayou/bayou08.jpg) Yummy, but definitely very rich. I think I'm having the creme brulee next time. (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/Bayou/bayou12.jpg)

rentayenta
07-27-2006, 04:37 PM

:( That stinks! We were going to give it a go this December- DH and two of my kids have never eaten there. Another friend went and she was highly disappointed too. Looks like we'll be trying the Cafe Orleans now.

DisneyBubbles
07-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Andrew, I just posted this in the review section also.

disney lady
07-27-2006, 04:40 PM
We went the end of June and it was great. I loved the potatoes. and the salad dressing was tasty. I had the chicken which was very good. and was too full to have desert. May have to go just for desert.

DisneyBubbles
07-27-2006, 04:40 PM
. It's not an entree salad - it's a side salad. .[/URL]

I realize that it is a side salad but I have never seen a side salad this miniscule before in my life! It is more like they give you ONE bite of lettuce, ONE bite of avocado and ONE bite of tomato!

dsnydon
07-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Now the guest know what the CM went through when they went to Starz Diner's. That the name it's where the CM eat, we use to get the same as the guest (the Hotels were the BEST) then they lowed the quality and raised the prices. I bring my own lunch a lot now. Now the guest get the something we get.

tigga please
07-27-2006, 05:11 PM
i guess we went on a good day. the king crab legs and chicken plates were great, and the server also instructed us it was a wedge salad - so i guess we were prepared for it. loved the potatos and the water front table

Dexter
07-27-2006, 05:18 PM
I was there on the 17th and aside from a snafu with service, which was fixed relatively quickly the food was delicious, I had the roast pork loin and the cookie boat for dessert. My only complaint is the drink glasses are the same ones they use at Cafe Orleans and IMHO are too small.

BTW, cstephens, I had the creme brulee on a previous trip and it's wonderful!!!! I'd highly recommend it.

Dom262
07-27-2006, 05:46 PM
We have eaten there twice and have been very happy each time.

The short ribs are very good. The sauce they have on them is delicious. the gumbo is also very delicious and flavorful. I was initally upset that they didn't serve the chowder either until I had the gumbo. (I asked the server why the choweder was removed and they said because too many people were jsut coming in, eating lots of bread and only having the chowder) The Filet is also tasty. My wife has had the Portobello mushroom and she was very pleased with it.

they do still have desert options, just not like thye had before. there is the cookie boat, which is delicious, key lime pie, and creme brulee sampler. They have a choclate creme brulee in the sampler, you could always ask to make it three of those instead of the other two.

Like I said, very happy. We will be eating there again.

:)

pisces
07-27-2006, 05:49 PM
What was unique about the clam-chowder, was that it was nearly the only place in the Park (that I know of) where it was served without the annoying "bread bowl".

So, that's kind of a loss.

The desserts looked appealing to me, though, at least from the pictures.

There must be other places in the vicinity to get chocolate.

BlkPearlCptn
07-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Ate there the first day it re-opened and the food was fantastic, the cookie boat dessert was unbelievable and the service was the best I have ever had anywhere (Ask for Nancy, she is awsome!)

Will be eating there again and again (despite the prices).

Also, you can request NO Bread Bowl anywhere they serve the clam chowder. One of my family members has a sensitivity to wheat and always asks for a regular bowl for the clam chower and has never ever had a problem. Hope that helps.

Osky
07-27-2006, 07:55 PM
What was unique about the clam-chowder, was that it was nearly the only place in the Park (that I know of) where it was served without the annoying "bread bowl".
Have you asked at the other locations to have it in a regular bowl?

edited to add: Yes, I didn't read the post just above mine before I posted this. Ugh. I am still at work. :(

I Heart Disneyland!
07-27-2006, 08:05 PM
The thing is that we were willing to pay the high prices because we loved the food and the atmosphere. It was a nice treat once in a while. But now the crappy food and high prices are no longer worth the atmoshpere. We'd rather go next door to the River Belle Terrace and get their BBQ ribs (which are awesome!) or their clam chowder in a bread bowl and salad combo (which we LOVE!) For a fraction of the price of Blue Bayou.

Will be noting this for my fall trip to DL. Thanks for telling us all.

I am SO sad to hear of BB going downhill in the face of their revamp and higher prices. I always loved the chowder too, and, if I can get it elsewhere ... I will go there. I do love the monte cristo, but, will try the one at Cafe Orleans before I pay for the ones at BB again. Too sad! Bengal BBQ dying and now BB isn't good! Boo hoo! :crying:

Gone2Disneyland
07-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Sorry you were disappointed, DisneyBubbles. Sounds like reality not meeting expectations.

I've only been to BB three times, once since it reopened, so I don't have much history to compare as you do. When I go, my only expectation is that I'm gonna spend a lotta money in the place compared to other places in the park. :p The last time I went, me and three others enjoyed what we ordered. I wasn't shocked but intrigued by the unique-looking salad I chose. But I don't remember it being as small as you describe, and I was surprised that it filled me up enough before my jambalaya arrived. That wasn't as tasty as I'd hoped, but it was alright enough to finish. We were all too full to order dessert. The company was nice too. It was a one-year reunion lunch. We had all met for the first time on July 17, 2005 at 3am, waiting in line as strangers at DCA to enter Disneyland, spent the entire day together, and we've stayed in touch by email every since.

Btw, I think I'm gonna try that cookie boat folks have been mentioning next time.

TP2000
07-28-2006, 01:37 AM
I've eaten at the Blue Bayou twice since it reopened. I found the food to be noticeably superior to the previous visits I made this past winter before it closed. The food I had was delcious, and everyone at my table thought their meals were very good as well. I had the cookie boat for desert on both visits and it was FANTASTIC.

As for the salad, it's called a "Wedge Salad" on the menu. What you got was a wedge salad. It's always made with iceburg lettuce, a wedge of iceburg in fact, thus the name; any other kind of lettuce and it wouldn't stand up to the sliced portion and the accompaniments. Many restaurants offer these wedge salads now, and they've become more and more popular in trendy restaurants in the last few years. The Blue Bayou version of a wedge salad was wonderful, and the portion size was just right as far as first courses go. Your not going to be able to share it with anyone or make a meal out of it, but it's a normal size for an appetizer salad for a single person.

I haven't had the Monte Cristo yet, as both visits to the Blue Bayou recently have been at dinner time. But I can't wait to go again during lunch and try the Monte Cristo.

Overall though, I found the food quality, the presentation and the menu to be noticeably superior to the previous version of the Blue Bayou. It's not Denny's or Sizzler, but then I don't think it's supposed to be. It's a fancy restaurant with upper-middle pricing. And for an amusement park, it is excellent food without equal in Southern California.

Disneyfreak
07-28-2006, 02:26 AM
without equal in Southern California.
May I recommend Ruth Chris Steak House or Mortons?

Osky
07-28-2006, 06:20 AM

Those aren't in amusement parks, are they?

junglemom
07-28-2006, 06:36 AM
The wedge style salad is something that high end restaraunts do. The ones I have seen only use iceberg. I don't really care for it either but it is the new trend.

Skunker
07-28-2006, 07:00 AM
After years of DL visits and never eating at BB, we finally ate there last fall. I was extremely disappointed...it was very expensive and I thought the Monte Cristo was a greasy mess. I doubt we'll be eating there again....

Dom262
07-28-2006, 07:21 AM

Ruth Chris and Morton's are overpriced for what you get also....

cstephens
07-28-2006, 07:23 AM
I was there on the 17th and aside from a snafu with service, which was fixed relatively quickly the food was delicious, I had the roast pork loin and the cookie boat for dessert. My only complaint is the drink glasses are the same ones they use at Cafe Orleans and IMHO are too small.

BTW, cstephens, I had the creme brulee on a previous trip and it's wonderful!!!! I'd highly recommend it.

Hey, we were there on the 17th as well! We were there for lunch.

Creme brulee is pretty much ruined for me, so I rarely have it anymore, but with the mix of flavors they have at the Blue Bayou, I am interested in trying it.

BTW, here's a picture of the wedge salad (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/Bayou/bayou03.jpg).