PDA

View Full Version : Old Millionaire Building (Stage 17) to become Meeting space starting September, 2006

Darkbeer
07-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Looks like there will be no new attraction in the former WWTBAM-PI! building in DCA for quite awhile....

http://www.anaheimoc.org/WhatsNew/WhatsNew.asp?section=Meetings (http://www.anaheimoc.org/WhatsNew/WhatsNew.asp?section=Meetings)

Disney's California Adventure Opens New Event Venue - Stage 17

Stage 17 opens in September 2006 in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot area of Disney's California Adventure. The new indoor venue boasts more than 10,000 square feet of carpeted, divisible floor space in a real sound stage setting. Stage 17 is the perfect place for an event of any size and with its built-in video and audio systems, complete with production booth, the room can also play host to dazzling presentations and memorable meetings.

olegc
07-25-2006, 06:33 PM
well, now they don't have to have celebrity events outside anymore...

but I wonder how much MORE they would charge compared to the convention center - just because its on property...

G2-4T
07-25-2006, 08:09 PM
That just seems like a waste of space - one would think they could add an attraction in there. The traditional dark rides don't take a lot of space and the footprint for the soundstage sounds to be plenty big... No loss on Millionaire but a bummer that they only want it for event space when there is the convention center across the street...

olegc
07-25-2006, 08:20 PM
hmm - maybe it's another reason Matt left. There have been so many ideas for improving DCA - and supposedly all are in play (according to Matt's email today) but it seems this is the current direction for the venie.

Why doe I get the feeling that WDC and global parks again are lording over Disneyland (and resort) as it's puppet..

Alex S.
07-25-2006, 11:04 PM
well, now they don't have to have celebrity events outside anymore...

but I wonder how much MORE they would charge compared to the convention center - just because its on property...

The space was already used for the Monster, Inc., attraction premiere party back in March. It is a very nice space for such things and has quite a bit more capacity than Hollywood and Vine.

Not that an attraction wouldn't be better.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-26-2006, 05:43 AM
Not that an attraction wouldn't be better.. . . but it may as well get used for SOMETHING until such time as it's needed for an attraction.

AVP
07-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Gosh, this was discussed over a year ago, when Disney brought a slew of their corporate event clients (including yours truly) over to the empty Millionaire building and asked us if we thought we could use the space for anything...

We BEGGED to be able to host a portion of MouseAdventure in there with the space as-is, but there were legal reasons why they couldn't rent out the space with the existing trademarked-to-the-teeth Millionaire set in it.

AVP

olegc
07-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Gosh, this was discussed over a year ago, when Disney brought a slew of their corporate event clients (including yours truly) over to the empty Millionaire building and asked us if we thought we could use the space for anything...

AVP

maybe this is how they will fund new attractions - rent it out!!! :p

woowoo
07-26-2006, 10:40 AM
The disney website has been updated...There will be 2 tapings at 1pm and 4pm at Stage 17 in DCA. It does say that space is limited. Have fun:)
looks like they are already using the area for speacial events and a working sound stage for films.
see cheeta girls at dca thread.

Sub Maniak
07-26-2006, 01:09 PM
GREAT!

Now there is less space for attractions! That could have been a valuble ride.

AVP
07-26-2006, 06:04 PM
maybe this is how they will fund new attractions - rent it out!!! :pNo, silly - that's why the Imagineers have been selling stuff at NFFC for the past few shows. If we buy enough WDI license plate frames and such, they'll replace the Rocket Rods! Right? Right?

AVP
- who personally enjoys the "Imagineering Bake Sale"

CmHyperion
07-28-2006, 11:13 PM
I saw some people working in there, they had Radio Disney banners all over the place (on the outside of the building on the cement walkway). They also had the door opened, looked like a storage room to me.

Disney Vault
07-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Sounds like a good idea for Disney but then I hope they consider reopening hollywood and dine sometime. Even as a totally new place.

cstephens
07-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a good idea for Disney but then I hope they consider reopening hollywood and dine sometime. Even as a totally new place.

With much better food than they used to have...

Disney Vault
07-31-2006, 10:26 AM
With much better food than they used to have...
My family made a trip to DCA when it first opened but I never did go to H&D. What kind of food did it have. And doesn anyone have any old pictures of it?