PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Bob Iger has approved a Major overhaul of DCA over the next ten years

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
07-25-2006, 10:39 AM
From today's Jim Hill article....

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/07/25/4475.aspx

The good news is ... Bob Iger (http://corporate.disney.go.com/corporate/bios/robert_iger.html) has reportedly signed off on a rescue plan for Disney's California Adventure (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/landing?name=DisneysCaliforniaAdventureLandingPage&bhcp=1).

According to those who are familiar with this theme park revival project, Disney's new CEO has agreed (in principle) to spend hundreds of million of dollars over the next decade in order to turn DCA into a worthy companion for Disneyland. As one Disney insider who was privvy to these plans recently told me:

"The scope & scale of the DCA revival plan is unprecedented. We're talking about complete redos of certain sections of this theme park. In 10 years time, you won't even be able to recognize the place."

bradk
07-25-2006, 10:43 AM
well, it really hasn't been too current with the pixar movies.. missing cars altogether

:/

animalx
07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
I kind of like the laid back atmosphere of DCA , no crowds etc. DCA is in need of 3-4 major rides. They should focus on the Pixar element more . Providing movie related rides but something more special. CARS should be a fast pace roller coaster dark ride etc. They need to be thinking more on the type of ride like SPIDER-MAN in U-IOA. That type of technology based on Disney Films. Monster Inc is just to kiddie orientated. Ages 3-8 isn't a wide enough graphic. What about the 9-99 age group. Focus on a few rides in that demographic and get people inside DCA.

Andrew
07-25-2006, 12:12 PM
What about the 9-99 age group. Focus on a few rides in that demographic and get people inside DCA.
Why are you discriminating against centenarians?

tod
07-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Reminds me of the axiom about, uh, things you can't polish...

--t

Alex S.
07-25-2006, 12:47 PM
Until actual projects are approved I don't put much weight into it. I have no doubt there is an intent, the question is whether there is a will.

10 years is a very, very long time.

MrsPooh
07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Reminds me of the axiom about, uh, things you can't polish...

--t

:D :D :~D

I just got a visual on that one! :eek: :D

I think it is a great idea. DCA needs lots of help!

Carina
07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
thats Funny - I LOVE DCA - as does the rest of my family - in fact the other 4 would choose DCA over DL if we could go back to just one of them, they love CS and the Maliboomer and ToT and we all love GRR

Also - I am 31 and I LOVE monsters... I do think they shoulda put astroblasters on that side though!

The old man
07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
thats Funny - I LOVE DCA - as does the rest of my family - in fact the other 4 would choose DCA over DL if we could go back to just one of them, they love CS and the Maliboomer and ToT and we all love GRR...

Oh no! Here we go again.

dlandnut
07-26-2006, 11:15 AM
They better not take away Soarin'!!! :)

MrsPooh
07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
They better not take away Soarin'!!! :)

Are you kidding? That has to be their best ride.

You know it won't go anywhere when they duplicated it over at WDW. ;)

Sub Maniak
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
I personally don't like the sunshine Plaza part! I liked the songs and the design! We need a ride in the Pacific Wharf though! They WON'T take away Soarin' and I HOPE THEY WON'T CHANGE EVERYTHING! I think Backlot won't be changed though!

So I'm Half and half!:) :mad:

CmHyperion
07-28-2006, 11:18 PM
All they need to do is put a Pirates of the Caribbean: a musical spectacular in the Hyperion theatre and DCA's attendance will skyrocket.

Vegitabeta
07-29-2006, 02:14 AM
All they need to do is put a Pirates of the Caribbean: a musical spectacular in the Hyperion theatre and DCA's attendance will skyrocket.
:)

TikiGeek
07-29-2006, 05:11 AM
Disney's new CEO has agreed (in principle) to spend hundreds of million of dollars over the next decade in order to turn DCA into a worthy companion for Disneyland. As long as Disney stock "out performs" - which is unlikely.

Klutch
07-29-2006, 03:05 PM
I hear ya, Tiki Geek. Sheesh, I've owned my Disney stock for over 5 years and it's gone up a whole $4 a share. No matter how many hit movies Disney cranks out, their profits are constantly mediocre. Maybe DCA is the drain and that's why Iger is agreeing to sink major cash into it.

I know there are a lot of people who genuinely like DCA. Unfortunately, there aren't nearly enough of them to make the park profitable. Of course, the light crowds may be the park's biggest appeal.

Disney Vault
07-29-2006, 05:04 PM
I think this would be great but I will have to wait for more people saying the same thing to get excited.

kenban
07-29-2006, 05:49 PM
Until the two parks are similar in size I see no reason why attendance should be similar. Right now it takes two days to do everything at DL but you can do all of DCA in one day. If they really want to "fix" DCA they need to use that parking lot behind ToT and make it part of the park and just build several E ticket rides. Just open one ride every year for the next few years and you will see similar attendance between the two parks in a few years. You can rebuild the park all you want but unless your adding rides and they are unique to Disney attractions that you cannot find anywhere else there is not going to be a large rise in guests.

Darkbeer
07-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Until the two parks are similar in size I see no reason why attendance should be similar. Right now it takes two days to do everything at DL but you can do all of DCA in one day. If they really want to "fix" DCA they need to use that parking lot behind ToT and make it part of the park and just build several E ticket rides. Just open one ride every year for the next few years and you will see similar attendance between the two parks in a few years. You can rebuild the park all you want but unless your adding rides and they are unique to Disney attractions that you cannot find anywhere else there is not going to be a large rise in guests.

Found this Travel Review today from Australia...

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,,18858688-27985,00.html

The park (DCA) is easily covered in a day by those with longer legs – unlike Disneyland's eight themed lands spread over 34ha, which is as vast now as it seemed as an awestruck five-year-old.
The original park is so large there simply aren't enough hours in the day to do it all, even though it's open until 11pm – a full four hours longer than the California Adventure Park.

jazzysmom
07-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Why are you discriminating against centenarians?

ROFL:D

pooh0200
07-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Did anyone really not see this coming?

I am curious who the fool was who authorized 30+ million dollars to revamp an existing ride into M&S Rescue. Seems like some really expensive plywood, paint and animatronic characters considering the ride infastructure already existed...

RStar
07-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Disney's new CEO has agreed (in principle) to spend hundreds of million of dollars over the next decade in order to turn DCA into a worthy companion for Disneyland.

Which is not realy a whole lot of money to completely re-do the whole park in tearms of the next decades money. It will be enought to "plus" some areas and put in a few E ticket rides however. And that is something that they MUST do, or the park will just die away slowly, I think. And then they may as well raze it and plant strawberries.

Pat-n-Eil
07-30-2006, 09:09 AM
I am a bit ambivalent. I want to see the park continue to grow and I'd like to see it thrive. However, if it does ever start competing in attendance with Disneyland, I will long for the days when I could easily walk through it without bumping into people and getting a case of "stroller ankle" as well as reasonable wait times. I can imagine places like the animation building being too tough to maneuver through.

Bigger.. yes. More rides.. yes. Revamp certain areas.. yes. I think there are some definite areas where they could improve the efficiency of the park. Getting from ToT to anywhere but the Hollywood Backlot is a chore. Paradise pier needs less carnival games and more other types of attractions. The area near the GRR water wheel heading toward the Wharf Area just seems like wasted space. It could have shops or attractions akin to Main Street USA but instead there is only a bathroom on the right.

I just hope they keep the elements that do work - like Condor Flats, in my opinion, and improve other areas. I suppose it is too late for a burm?

mystycalchyk
07-31-2006, 07:07 AM

Actually I'd like to see 'Blast!' back. I loved that show. Good thing I have the full version on DVD :D. They were on the road and in Phoenix a few years back (back when they were still in DCA,and we caught it and bought the dvd. Great great show!

Disney Vault
07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
Actually I'd like to see 'Blast!' back. I loved that show. Good thing I have the full version on DVD :D. They were on the road and in Phoenix a few years back (back when they were still in DCA,and we caught it and bought the dvd. Great great show!

I thought Blast was good but I would much much rather have a play with a story. And I would rather keep Aladdin.