PDA

View Full Version : Disney Veteran Ed Grier Named President of the Disneyland Resort [merged releases]

Pages : [1] 2

Disney Debbie
07-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Starwood Hotels and Resorts just announced that Matt Ouimet has been named President of their Hotel Group.

I wonder what or who will be happening at D/L.

Debbie:confused:

SeansMom
07-25-2006, 07:47 AM
Are you sure? I found this: On Tuesday, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. (HOT | charts | news | PowerRating) said it has promoted Raymond Gellein to President, Global Development.

Ted Darnall, currently President of Starwood Real Estate Group since 2002, has stepped down in order to develop a fund specifically focused on building aloft and Extended Stay by Westin hotels, two brands which he helped create.

But nothing about Matt.

Disney Debbie
07-25-2006, 07:56 AM
Yep, I am looking at the new release from Starwood and it refers to Matt as the Former President of the Disneyland Resort.

going2disneyAZ
07-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Yep, I am looking at the new release from Starwood and it refers to Matt as the Former President of the Disneyland Resort.

Do you have a link?

amejr999
07-25-2006, 08:11 AM
I can confirm.

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 25, 2006
Ed Grier, a 25-year Disney (NYSE:DIS) veteran who most
recently oversaw the company's operations of Tokyo Disney Resort, has
been named President of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., it
was announced today by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay
Rasulo.
"Ed Grier brings an incredible depth and breadth of operations,
Guest service and management experience that he has garnered over his
25 years with Disney parks around the world," said Rasulo. "Ed has the
precise talent necessary to lead the Disneyland Resort into its second
50 years following the Happiest Celebration on Earth. We are pleased
to welcome him back to the states - and look forward to the leadership
he will provide to the park that truly started it all."
Grier, 51, will report to Al Weiss, President of Operations for
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. He replaces Matt Ouimet, who is leaving
Disney to join Starwood Hotels and Resorts. Grier's replacement at
Tokyo Disney Resort will be named at a later date.
"Disneyland is beloved by millions around the world - and I am
honored to have the opportunity to lead such a special place," said
Grier. "I look forward to working with the Disneyland management team

tod
07-25-2006, 08:13 AM
Jim Hill's got the Matt-leaving story.

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2006/07/25/4496.aspx

--t

Disney Debbie
07-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Just checked nasdaq.com and it was posted 16 minutes ago.

Disney Vault
07-25-2006, 08:26 AM
I can't believe this came out of no where. And I am leaving on a trip and wont have a computer to follow the story:(

At least we will be getting someone from TDL to replace him.

JookyG
07-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Does anyone have actual links to said articles (not just pasted-in text), besides what Jim Hill's posted on his site? This hasn't hit any of the news sources I browse (like Google News), so I'm suspicious. I don't see anything on nasdaq.com, but their site is a jumbled mess, so that doesn't say much.

[UPDATE:] Nevermind, found it...

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspxcontent/NewsStory.aspx?cpath=20060725\ACQDJON200607251234D OWJONESDJONLINE000690.htm&symbol=DIS&selected=DIS&selecteddisplaysymbol=DIS&coname=Walt%20Disney%20Company%20(The)&logopath=&market=NYSE&pageName=Company%20News

Andrew
07-25-2006, 08:49 AM
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 25, 2006--Ed Grier, a 25-year Disney (NYSE: DIS) veteran who most recently oversaw the company's operations of Tokyo Disney Resort, has been named President of the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., it was announced today by Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo.

"Ed Grier brings an incredible depth and breadth of operations, Guest service and management experience that he has garnered over his 25 years with Disney parks around the world," said Rasulo. "Ed has the precise talent necessary to lead the Disneyland Resort into its second 50 years following the Happiest Celebration on Earth. We are pleased to welcome him back to the states - and look forward to the leadership he will provide to the park that truly started it all."

Grier, 51, will report to Al Weiss, President of Operations for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. He replaces Matt Ouimet, who is leaving Disney to join Starwood Hotels and Resorts. Grier's replacement at Tokyo Disney Resort will be named at a later date.

"Disneyland is beloved by millions around the world - and I am honored to have the opportunity to lead such a special place," said Grier. "I look forward to working with the Disneyland management team and partnering with the Orange County community to ensure that our future is just as strong and bright as our past - and that Disneyland continues to make dreams come true for the millions of people who visit us each year."

"I want to thank Matt Ouimet for his years of service to Walt Disney Parks and Resorts," Rasulo said. "On behalf of my management team, we wish him the very best in his new endeavors."

Most recently, Grier served as Executive Managing Director of Walt Disney Attractions Japan, where he oversaw the Disney operations for the two-park Tokyo Disney Resort and managed the day-to-day relationship with the Oriental Land Company, which operates the resort as a licensee. During his tenure in Japan, Grier was instrumental in the overall master planning of the Resort, leading the Disney team that was responsible for the addition of new attractions and entertainment spectaculars, as well as a new Cirque theatre and new Disney-branded hotel, both of which are expected to open in 2008. In addition, Grier implemented best practices from Disney destinations around the world for Guest service standards, and resort and financial operations.

Prior to his experience in Japan, Grier held executive positions at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort Paris in France. Grier served as general manager of Walt Disney World's Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios. In these positions, Grier oversaw park operations, led thousands of Cast Members and was responsible for the financial and operational performance of the parks.

In addition to his operations and management experience, Grier has held positions at Walt Disney World Resort related to finance and marketing. In the early 1990s, Grier served as a member of an expatriate team that was assigned to Paris for one year to increase awareness of the resort in European markets. While there, Grier was responsible for establishing the resort's marketing division and developing Pan-European marketing strategies.

Grier is a CPA and prior to joining The Walt Disney Company in 1981, he worked for Ernst and Young. He has a bachelor's degree in accounting from Duquesne University in Pennsylvania.

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

Walt Disney Parks and Resorts is where dreams come true and magic comes to life. This segment of The Walt Disney Company encompasses 11 theme parks at five of the world's leading family vacation destinations - Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort, Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris, and Hong Kong Disneyland. It also includes the Disney Cruise Line; Disney Vacation Club, Adventures by Disney; Disney Regional Entertainment; World of Disney stores in New York, Orlando and Anaheim; and Walt Disney Imagineering, which creates and designs Disney parks, resorts and attractions. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts had more than $9 billion in revenues in fiscal 2005.

CONTACT: Walt Disney Parks and ResortsLisa Haines, 818-560-4107

SOURCE: Walt Disney Parks and Resorts

Andrew
07-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Names Matt Ouimet President, Hotel Group; Former President of Disneyland Resort to Oversee Global Hotel Operations

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 25, 2006--Steven J. Heyer, Chief Executive Officer for Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE:HOT), announced today that the Company has named Matt Ouimet as President, Hotel Group. Ouimet, 47, spent 17 years at The Walt Disney Company, most recently serving as President of the Disneyland Resort. In this newly created position, Ouimet will oversee hotel operations worldwide for the Company's nine hotel brands consisting of more than 850 hotels in 95 countries. Reporting to Heyer, Ouimet will also be a member of Starwood's Senior Leadership Team.

"Starwood is firing on all cylinders after having dramatically reshaped our company, and as we move to the next stage of our transformation, we looked for an executive with the depth in leadership that Matt can provide," said Heyer. "With his background in resort development, marketing and operations, Matt can work across many different disciplines to help us efficiently and effectively execute upon our strategy."

Heyer continued, "As our industry-leading results would suggest, our divisional operators are doing a phenomenal job and our leadership team is very strong. Matt bolsters our global team and strengthens our bench. This new structure streamlines our decision making process and speed of execution, enabling me to focus on what's next, and our external network including shareholders, owners, developers, suppliers, and partners."

"I am excited to be part of this team which has its sights set on nothing less than reinventing the industry," said Ouimet. "With its commitment to innovation, new product development, service excellence and an aggressive global growth strategy, there is no question that Starwood is the company to watch in this sector."

Starwood's four Divisional Presidents overseeing hotel operations in North American; Latin America; Asia-Pacific; and Europe, Africa and the Middle East respectively will report to Ouimet, who will be based in Starwood's headquarters in White Plains, New York.

Ouimet joined The Walt Disney Company in 1989 and began his career there in a variety of finance and business development roles. Rising quickly in the ranks, Ouimet ultimately led four separate business endeavors for Disney. During his tenure with Disney, Ouimet served as Executive General Manager of Disney's Vacation Club; President of Disney's Cruise Line and, of course, most recently President of the Disneyland Resort, where he oversaw two theme parks and three hotels with 20,000 employees. Ouimet earned a Bachelor of Science majoring in accounting from State University of New York at Binghamton.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world with approximately 850 properties in more than 95 countries and 145,000 employees at its owned and managed properties. Starwood(R) Hotels is a fully integrated owner, operator and franchisor of hotels and resorts with the following internationally renowned brands: St. Regis(R), The Luxury Collection(R), Sheraton(R), Westin(R), Four Points(R) by Sheraton, W(R), Le Meridien(R) and the recently announced aloft(SM). Starwood Hotels also owns Starwood Vacation Ownership, Inc., one of the premier developers and operators of high quality vacation interval ownership resorts. For more information, please visit www.starwoodhotels.com.

**Please contact Starwood's new, toll-free media hotline at (866) 4-STAR-PR (866-478-2777) for photography or additional information.**

(Note: This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of federal securities regulations. Forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance or events and involve risks and uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results or events to differ materially from those anticipated at the time the forward-looking statements are made. These risks and uncertainties are presented in detail in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Although we believe the expectations reflected in such forward-looking statements are based upon reasonable assumptions, we can give no assurance that our expectations will be attained or that results and events will not materially differ. We undertake no obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.)

CONTACT: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.K.C. Kavanagh, 914-640-8339

SOURCE: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

going2disneyAZ
07-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Does anyone have actual links to said articles (not just pasted-in text), besides what Jim Hill's posted on his site? This hasn't hit any of the news sources I browse (like Google News), so I'm suspicious. I don't see anything on nasdaq.com, but their site is a jumbled mess, so that doesn't say much.

I did not see anything on NASDAQ or on the Walt Disney Company site or the Starwood site. I think this is a bit suspect as well. A link would be appreciated. Thanks

katiesue
07-25-2006, 08:53 AM
Link to yahoo news story (http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060725/20060725005653.html?.v=1)

going2disneyAZ
07-25-2006, 08:58 AM
Link to yahoo news story (http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060725/20060725005653.html?.v=1)

THANKS!

katiesue
07-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Disney names replacement link (http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060725/disney_appointment.html?.v=1)

hbquikcomjamesl
07-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Starwood?!?
Like in Sheraton, Westin, and the dreaded "W"?

EEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrowupDisney
07-25-2006, 09:17 AM
So, can anyone give an intellegent guess as to what this transfer of power will mean to Disneyland?

Andrew
07-25-2006, 09:18 AM
I've posted the two press releases in our Announcement section.

ToursbabeC3po
07-25-2006, 09:22 AM
I met him once and he was a very nice guy and his ideas were with well intentions. But he screwed up Disneyland BIG TIME The turn over rate is higher then every before and everyone is quitting.
I would not be surprised if they asked him to leave.

He was awesome for the guest because he cleaned up the park but bad at the same time because cast members were over worked and grouchy. Also lines were longer becasue attractions and food service carts were closed due to cast member shortages.

This is my own personal opinion.

Klutch
07-25-2006, 09:25 AM
According to many accounts, the Tokyo Disneyland Resort is the finest theme park resort on the planet. (When you impress Al Lutz, that's saying something.) I'm sorry to see Matt go. He did a great job of recovering Disneyland after Pressler nearly flew it into the ground. However, Ed Grier will likely keep the ball rolling on projects Matt initiated. Also, let us not forget that John Lasseter is now onboard and has a significant and positive impact at Disneyland.

Obviously, Starwood made Matt a tasty offer. You can't blame the guy for moving on and moving up. That's what good business execs do.

Klutch
07-25-2006, 09:30 AM
I met him once and he was a very nice guy and his ideas were with well intentions. But he screwed up Disneyland BIG TIME The turn over rate is higher then every before and everyone is quitting.
I would not be surprised if they asked him to leave.

He was awesome for the guest because he cleaned up the park but bad at the same time because cast members were over worked and grouchy. Also lines were longer becasue attractions and food service carts were closed due to cast member shortages.

This is my own personal opinion.

I see your point, but I think those problems are more a result of the SoCal labor market. Matt tried to bring back the traditional Disneyland CM but, apparently, corporate wasn't willing to pay for it. Thus, the parks are getting a lot of sub-par employees who rotate in and out while putting extreme pressure on the outstanding CMs who remain.

bradk
07-25-2006, 09:37 AM
although it can be argued that a lot of what makes TDL great can be attributed to the fact that it's not owned by Disney. Sounds crude, but in a sense, it's true. OLC pours money into that baby.

hopefully midway mania will live up to its hype (tech paid for in most by OLC, no?)

olegc
07-25-2006, 09:39 AM
wow - this is one inside piece of information that SOME websites never saw coming... hmph! so much for truly insider information!

Alex S.
07-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Disneyland is now officially managed by an actual accountaneer. Good luck to him, though.

Darkbeer
07-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Disneyland is now officially managed by an actual accountaneer. Good luck to him, though.

It was the last few years too, the Starwood Press Release said...

Ouimet earned a Bachelor of Science majoring in accounting from State University of New York at Binghamton.