PDA

View Full Version : Question about Winnie the Pooh ride

AliceInWonderland
07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
At the end of the ride it's Pooh's birthday. Why isn't the gopher/ groundhog at the birthday party? When you go through the whole ride it shows all the characters and I see the groundhog in the beginning but not with all the other characters at the party. I know it's a silly question, and I even thought of asking a cast member, but I didn't want to bug them with questions. I know this is a bad pic, but it's the only one I took of this scene in January. Owl is there on the side, but there is no sighting of the gopher.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/MalibuSunset/CIMG0070.jpg

This is my first post and I'd like to say that I've been reading this board since January when I got my annual pass (first time passholder) and I enjoy all of the comments and all the pictures, especially Darkbeer's and chrisautx's. I go once a week to Disneyland and I take a lot of pics. Thanks for letting me join this board and be apart of your group. :)

rosie
07-24-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm sorry, I can't answer your question; but I liked your picture. Thanks for posting.:)

bradk
07-24-2006, 09:22 PM
not a fan of my pics, huh? (sniff)

the only thing i can think of is that gopher is a disney creation, not an aa milne one... i think the attraction in WDW is more attuned to the book format - one of them has pooh bursting out of a book, can't recall which, so gopher wouldn't have fit in.

why he even appears at all is beyond me.

dac1997
07-25-2006, 03:45 AM
Since it's been brought up...they don't have Eeyore at the party either. He even brought a present. A friend of mine (who loves Eeyore) points this out to me every time we go on the ride.

charpaul
07-25-2006, 07:09 AM
I have a similar friend that points out that Eeyore sent a gift but was NOT invited to the party EVERY TIME we go!!

The Gopher character was NEVER in the books - but appears in one of the Disney movies. His line in the movie is "I'm not in the book you know!" was a subtle joke that reminds us he is not an "original" A.A. Milne character. He appears in the Blustery Day movie, but not in the movie about celebrating Pooh's Birthday.....
So my thought is that he was not included in that scene for that reason.

I have NO IDEA why they decide not to include Eeyore in the party though….

rosie
07-26-2006, 01:59 PM
not a fan of my pics, huh? (sniff)

Don't cry Brad, I love your pictures too!
Former NYer
Rosie

Disneymademoiselle
07-27-2006, 12:48 AM
I know this is a bad pic, but it's the only one I took of this scene in January.

I have to laugh at this comment, because AliceInWonderland should see my "pictures" from Winnie the Pooh. I expected AIW's to look like the blurry disasters mine are, but found it to be the picture of perfection. No pun intended ;)

By the way, I have no idea what the deal is with Gopher. I do know he has an incredibly obnoxious whistle:) Perhaps, Eeyore is out looking for his tail and is running a little behind schedule:(

bradk
07-27-2006, 04:25 AM
well, not having gone through my critter country photos yet, i took the opportunity to check out my pooh shots and was surprised when i looked and realized who wasn't at the party... neither are kanga and roo for what it's worth (although i guess they aren't even in the attraction).

initially i was gonna say maybe it's like the original peter pan & snow white where you're seeing it from a character's POV (okay, it's a stretch), but now I noticed almost half the crew is missing.

this is sadly the best photo i have of the scene... i have others with more in the photo, but not quite as clear (didn't use flash). i think all i have cut off is the banner and owl (who partly appears):

http://bradk.smugmug.com/gallery/1465116/43/84293731

TTFN92
07-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys. I never noticed that they weren't there, but now I will think about it everytime I go on that ride and always wonder WHY ;) .

Jon Vincible
07-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Kanga and roo aren't in the attraction?

bradk
07-27-2006, 10:41 AM
maybe i assumed too much there. they're not in any of my photos, that's for certain.

Jon Vincible
07-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Hmmm. I video taped that ride in 2004, and I think I remember them being in the very first part of the ride, the blustery day portion. I could be mistaken though.

SpacedOutCM
07-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Kanga and Roo are in the attraction. They are first seen in the Blustery Day scene where Roo is acting like a kite and Kanga is holding on to the scarf. They are then at the rainy day scene in the upside down umbrella.

As far as Eeyore and anyone else that is missing in the birthday scene, maybe the reason they aren't there is because there wasn't enough room to put them in. ...or maybe it was due to the budget.

amarvel
07-27-2006, 12:17 PM
As a big Eeyore fan i am one of those that every time at the end of the ride must make a comment. I really don't understand why Eeyore isn't there ;)

Sub Maniak
07-31-2006, 02:10 PM
If you remember in the movie, He's no in the book, so technicaly he's not a main character of the attraction.

Klutch
07-31-2006, 04:02 PM
As I recall, the gopher was originally a character from Lady and the Tramp. Apparently, he was popular and they could get the original voice talent, so animators crammed him into a Pooh movie.