PDA

View Full Version : 1313southharborblvd.com closed for good?

bartender925
07-24-2006, 10:15 AM
I loved this site because they had sound bits that were hard to find anywhere else. Anyone know if this site is gone for good? I was able to get some "It's a small world" clips from this site, and put together a clock that goes off every hour like it does in Disneyland. My daughter loves it!!! Any help would be appreciated.

Opus1guy
07-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Funny you should mention this, because just a few minutes ago I was going to refer someone to www.disneylandclub33.com and that site seems to be gone or down too.

Must be a bad day for some Disney related web sites!

Geneva
07-24-2006, 12:11 PM
I have been keeping up on 1313's blog, and from the sounds of the last post, they are gone for good. Gary the "Hitchhiking Ghost" who runs the website was fed up that so many people came to the website, but they received scant donations to keep it running and so he said he was closing it down.

In all honesty, he was quite rude towards the public in his last several posts, which put me off of them, even though they did have some amazing sound clips. It isn't too surprising to me that displaying such a bad attitude didn't yield him the donations he was hoping for. Hopefully we'll be able to get these sound clips from some place else in the future!

Osky
07-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Funny you should mention this, because just a few minutes ago I was going to refer someone to www.disneylandclub33.com (http://www.disneylandclub33.com) and that site seems to be gone or down too.

That site has been down for at least two and a half weeks. I was trying to look up something a few weeks ago and it was down.

olegc
07-24-2006, 01:27 PM
I have been keeping up on 1313's blog, and from the sounds of the last post, they are gone for good. Gary the "Hitchhiking Ghost" who runs the website was fed up that so many people came to the website, but they received scant donations to keep it running and so he said he was closing it down.

In all honesty, he was quite rude towards the public in his last several posts, which put me off of them, even though they did have some amazing sound clips. It isn't too surprising to me that displaying such a bad attitude didn't yield him the donations he was hoping for. Hopefully we'll be able to get these sound clips from some place else in the future!

well, not that I know Gary personally, but if you were funding a website that sent terrabytes of data monthly all over the world - and people pledging 75 cents, 50 cents, as "donations" that maybe you as well might come out and be rude. His bad attitude happened AFTER months of pleading and asking nicely for donations. It seems that folks want all of that media and sound for free... it's not just the few of us on these boards - it's hundreds of thousands of people across the world... so after years of paying for the site himself (with updates and higher quality sounds) he had enough.

Particularly with some family issues he was dealing with - I too would just stop providing the site free of charge "for the love of all things Disney" and The "disney community"... and since he did not own the sounds he could not charge for their download..

ghoofie
07-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Not exactly THIS post related...but somewhat related..there are some
sites that I would gladly donate to , some Disney related..but they only take Paypal and I won't use Paypal. Had a bad hacking experience from them. I have offered donations to some sites by offering a check and they turned me down (not this one, and not the one refered to in this post).

blusilva
07-25-2006, 07:09 AM
.. and since he did not own the sounds he could not charge for their download..

LOL! Only on "the internets" could someone be miffed at people for not donating for the use of property that wasn't his in the first place.

olegc
07-25-2006, 07:28 AM
LOL! Only on "the internets" could someone be miffed at people for not donating for the use of property that wasn't his in the first place.

while the literal translation of the verbiage of license may point to an illegal publication - the fact that WDC allowed the site to continue for so long - without interference - implies that they did not feel this was an impact to their operations and revenue. In fact it was more of a promotion of Disney.

Sites like tellnotales.com, doombuggies.com, and keeptothecode.com are examples of sites that offer sound bytes, art, and other media from the theme parks - and are approved by the WDC. Of course these sites are also supported by other advertising and revenue streams not associated with donations.

And then - what about the internet radio spots on mouseinfo, visionsfantastic, and live365. While these are streaming - I can always capture those streams and save the audio.

So - "stolen" can only be claimed if in fact the owner of the material claims someone stole from them. He was not necessarily miffed at the fact no one was donating for the files - we was miffed about using bandwidth and downloading. Splitting hairs, I know, but that is the issue.

Frogberto
07-25-2006, 09:44 AM
It's a shame that the existing (past) podcasts couldn't have been hosted anywhere else, including this site. Heck, I'd even host them on my server and site for people to download. It just seems like taking the entire site down, with such valuable historical and hard to get music, is the worst of all options.