PDA

View Full Version : FASTPASS Fine Points?

Pages : [1] 2

RideMax Mark
05-02-2002, 07:24 PM
I'm trying to double-check all of the "fine points" of FASTPASS. Here's how I think it works, correct me if I'm wrong:

Once you get one FP, you can't pick up another, unless the ride window for the one you're holding has begun, or two hours have passed, whichever comes first. The exception to the "two-hour" rule is if you want to get another FP for the same attraction you are already holding. In that case, you have to wait until the ride window has begun, even if it's more than two hours away. So, if I pick up a FP for Indy at noon with a return time of 4pm, I can get another FP for anything but Indy at 2pm. If I want to get another Indy FP I have to wait until 4pm.

The FP systems for DCA and DL aren't connected, so I can go to DCA, grab a FP, then go straight to DL and grab one there too.

In addition to the above, they are currently testing a scheme where some FP attractions are "disconnected" from the others, so I can grab a FP at one of the "normal" attractions, then immediately grab another FP from one of the "disconnected" attractions. I can get a new FP for a disconnected attraction as soon as its ride window has begun, regardless of what is happening with other FPs that I hold.

Attractions that are currently "disconnected" are Pirates, HM, and Soarin'. (Anyone know how long they plan to continue this "test?")

The other "fine point" is that the CMs will almost always let you ride with an expired FP, as long as it's still the same day.

Did I miss anything?

HBTiggerFan
05-02-2002, 09:02 PM
Hey,
OK, I think you got most of it. Last time I went I got a FP for Haunted and 5 minutes later got one for Pirates since tehy are "disconnected" all while holding one for Space Mtn.

Just be a polite FP rider, you may have a short wait (5-10 minutes), and don't be rude to the CM if they stop the FP line to let stand-by through. There are numbers they have to go by....so many stand-by per so many FP riders. And don't try to go before your time. I heard from a CM that every minute a FP rider is in line is equal to 5 minutes in the stand-by line.

:D:D marla

thamnarestan
05-16-2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
I heard from a CM that every minute a FP rider is in line is equal to 5 minutes in the stand-by line.

That's not exactly true. A FastPass guest's wait time will vary from attraction to attraction. On Indy, he may wait 10 minutes. On Pirates, 5. And on Mansion, only 1. These wait times do not usually fluctuate, so they are not indicative of the standby wait.

Occasionally, the FastPass line will back up due to the ride's operational capacity being decreased. In this case, the longer FastPass wait would indicate a longer standby wait, but there is no direct correlation between the two.

The best way to determine the standby wait is NOT to multiply your FastPass wait by five, but rather to read the posted standby wait time at the attraction's entrance.

MerryMouseWife
05-16-2002, 11:49 AM
make sure that the wait time is longer than 20 minutes. We got FP in November and the wait for standby was 20 minutes and we went through the FP line and got right behind the standby line and waited fro 20 minutes with all the rest of them. So, just a tip. Go standby if the wait is 20 minutes or less on Autopia, 'cuz you'll be in standby anyway.

EandCDad
05-16-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by MerryMouseWife
make sure that the wait time is longer than 20 minutes. We got FP in November and the wait for standby was 20 minutes and we went through the FP line and got right behind the standby line and waited fro 20 minutes with all the rest of them. So, just a tip. Go standby if the wait is 20 minutes or less on Autopia, 'cuz you'll be in standby anyway.

Uhhh, I might be reading it wrong, but that's not exactly correct. There are actually three seperate waiting areas for Autopia. The "stand-by" line/waiting area, the line/waiting area by the little Chevron holograms (inside the building), and the line you wait in on the bridge before you go down the steps to load into the car.

The FP allows you to skip the "stand by" line but not the line inside where you see the Chevron holograms. The people in that area are a mix of stand by and FP. However, the FP people walk directly to that area while the stand by people have to wait in the stand by area and then also wait in the hologram area.

So, lets say the stand by line is 15 minutes. If you go into stand-by, you wait about 15 minutes in stand-by, then another 5 minutes or so by the holograms, then another 5-10 minutes waiting to be loaded. If you get a fast pass, you can come back and skip the first 15 minute wait and only wait in the other two areas.

My problem is that the stand by area can look completely uncrowded but the wait can be deceivingly long. I made the mistake of glancing at the stand by line and thinking "oh that's not too bad" and not getting the FP. I did that twice and now I would never, ever, ever get on Autopia without getting the FP.

I think the reason that they stop everyone in that area is that Chevron was po'd that no one was seeing their holograms.

Sorry, didn't want to take this so far off-topic, someone can start another thread if they want to discuss it further.

MerryMouseWife
05-16-2002, 01:23 PM
You are right, that's where they put you and it took us 20 minutes to get to a vehicle. I clocked it and the kids said they never want to go on Autopia again because it took so long even with FP. Maybe they have changed it but that is how it was with us last November.

Just think, 5 less people in line when you go next time. :D

Ghoulish Delight
05-16-2002, 01:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, RMM, but I think he is asking for the technical details of how the system works (in terms of how many FPs you can get, when you can use them, when you can get new ones, etc.) to incorporate into his software, not for general use/courtesy/strategy tips for visiting.

MerryMouseWife
05-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Here is a link to Disney's website that explains FastPass.

FastPass (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneylandresort/ResortInfo/FastPass/index)

Basically you go to these Stands by the attraction that you want to get a FP for and it will tell the approximate standby time and when the FP return time is. You put your passport in the machine and it will give you a ticket that tells you a time period to return to get in line. Say it is 11:15 am and you want to go on Haunted Mansion. The standby line is 60 minutes and you want to use FP. Put your passport in and the FP comes out with a return time of, say, 12:55 to 1:55. You can now go about the park, visit other attractions, eat, shop or whatever and anytime after 12:55 and before 1:55 you can get in the FP line for the attraction. You ususally go in a different line and meet up with the regular line close to the loading dock of the attraction.

I love this feature, and only had the one problem with Autopia. The rest of the time it was great.

Hope that is clear and not muddy.

Merry

Darkbeer
05-16-2002, 02:39 PM
Here is the latest problem with FastPass, MerryMouseWife shows us the "simple" Disney explanation, while RideMax Mark's explanation is really how the system is working currentely.

Now add into that the folks who buy Disney Vacation Packages, plus guests who are inconvenienced by long ride breakdowns, etc. These folks get an "Any Ride" Fast Pass, so some guests have 1 to 5 of these extra passes.

So, I could take the family over to DCA, sit them down over at the Bakery near the main enterance, let them sit and relax, (or go see ITTBAB) while I take all the "Passports/Tickets", and collect the following... Soarin' (a freebee, does not effect other FP's), Screamin' , and get BLAST passes (They look just like FP's, but are handed out by CM's, you don't get them from Machines, so, basically, another freebee).

Then off to DL, and let the family wait for the Astro Orbitor, while I go get Splash plus POTC and HM freebees. Now, what happens, depends on the times on the Screamin' and Splash. Let's presume, two hours (That would be the longest wait). I now have 6 FP's. We go back to Paradise Pier and ride the smaller non-FP rides, until our Screamin' window opens, and then I go get Mulholland Madness tickets (before using the Screamin' FP's, the rules state that I don't have to us the first FP before I get the second, just that I wait until the window opens). Now, let's see, maybe it is time for BLAST, so go see that show, then check the MM window (presumed closed), and back to DL.

Go either to Indy or Autopia for a FP, then start using what I have collected. Of course, just before I ride POTC or HM, I pick up another "freebie", so i can ride again without waiting.

Maybe the two most important rides to use the universal "Any Ride" FP is Grizzly River Run or Splash. If you don't get to the machines early enough, then the "starting" time (don't forget, they don't care about the ending time...) is a bit late in the afternoon/evening, and you prefer to ride earlier in the afternnon, so you can dry off before it gets cold.

Nice, simple, system, eh????:confused:

disneynut
05-16-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad

My problem is that the stand by area can look completely uncrowded but the wait can be deceivingly long. I made the mistake of glancing at the stand by line and thinking "oh that's not too bad" and not getting the FP. I did that twice and now I would never, ever, ever get on Autopia without getting the FP.
I

I have to agree with you EandCDad...never do Autopia without FP. And if you are gathering tips to use RMM, I would definitely include this one in. That line is horrendous without FastPass no matter how short it may look.

EandCDad
05-16-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by MerryMouseWife
You are right, that's where they put you and it took us 20 minutes to get to a vehicle. I clocked it and the kids said they never want to go on Autopia again because it took so long even with FP. Maybe they have changed it but that is how it was with us last November.

Just think, 5 less people in line when you go next time. :D

Let me know when you are not going to ride again and I'll go and take advantage of you not being there. ;)

The system basically works the same as it did when you were there in November. My only real point was that its always faster with FP than the stand-bye line unless there is no one in the stand-bye area. If you had gone in the stand-bye area you would have been clocking a 30-45 minute wait. Again, unless there was no one in the stand-bye area, a situation I have never encountered.

You bring up the excellent point however, that the Autopia FP wait still can be quite long. We have done it in about 5 minutes and as long as about 15-20. Its always significantly faster than going stand-bye, but its not as quick as most of the other rides. People should be aware of that.

I too would prefer not to wait even 20 minutes for the ride; however, my kids love it, so I'm stuck watching those stupid holograms and wondering why they never have enough Autopia lanes open, the real reason for the long wait on that ride.

MerryMouseWife
05-16-2002, 07:20 PM
teehee, EandCDad.

Just to let you know, we are going June 2-5, and will go at least once while we are there. You'll just have to take you chances with 5 extra people in line (snicker).

RideMax Mark
05-16-2002, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Correct me if I'm wrong, RMM, but I think he is asking for the technical details of how the system works (in terms of how many FPs you can get, when you can use them, when you can get new ones, etc.) to incorporate into his software, not for general use/courtesy/strategy tips for visiting.

Ghoulish, you're correct -- we're coming out with a minor update to the RideMax planning software, and I just wanted to be able to take into account some of these "subtle" changes to the system, especially the "freebies." The programming will be such that we can reverse the change without redistributing the software.

An interesting point -- I contacted DL to ask them how long they expect the "freebie" rule to be in effect, and the response came back that they weren't even aware of these changes to the FP system -- LOL! How can they be explaining this complicated system to guests if their own employees don't know about the change?!?

Originally posted by disneynut
And if you are gathering tips to use RMM, I would definitely include this one in.

Thanks for helping me refine this, and BTW, it is seldom that a RideMax plan does NOT include using FP for Autopia.

cyberRoo
05-17-2002, 08:08 AM
Just a thought - you should include a description of how to tell if a fastpass is a freebie... I think that the freebies don't include a note about when your next pass is available? right?

SoCalDisneyLover
05-18-2002, 11:27 AM
Is Soarin' the only CA ride which does not have a restriction on the Next Fast Pass Issuance Time? I know that Pirates and Mansion are the ones at DL. Are there any others? I'm going to Mouse Scramble tomorrow, but want to ride Soarin' and Grizzly River Run...can I get passes for both at the same time basically? Thanks. :-)

Uncle Dick
05-18-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover
Is Soarin' the only CA ride which does not have a restriction on the Next Fast Pass Issuance Time? I know that Pirates and Mansion are the ones at DL. Are there any others? I'm going to Mouse Scramble tomorrow, but want to ride Soarin' and Grizzly River Run...can I get passes for both at the same time basically? Thanks. :-)
Yep. Soarin', Pirates and Mansion are the only three "disconnected" FP attractions. Your plan will work out fine.

Berry Princess
05-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Just wondering but is Thunder Mt supposed to be on of the rides too? I had seen on another message board that it was but I wasn't sure.

Berry Princess
05-22-2002, 12:30 PM
One more question-if someone isn't there but I was to have their annual pass could it be used to get a fastpass?

Matterhorn Fan
05-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Big Thunder Mountain does have FastPass. I don't think it's one of the "freebies," but I haven't checked myself. (It's currently in rehab.)

I believe a ticket has to have been used (i.e., scanned at the turnstiles) in order to get a FP with it. That should include APs, but again, I haven't tested this out. I'm sure someone has, though.

MerryMouseWife
05-22-2002, 12:36 PM
Hmm, I would think so. I have taken our park hopper passes for all of our family and gotten FP's while they were doing something else. I am usually the keeper of the tix for our group. I don't see why that would be a problem. Just don't try to use the AP to get into the park. That's a big no-no. :)

Matterhorn Fan
05-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Now that I read Berry Princess' post again, I'm not sure I answered her question right. I know for sure that a group can, for example, go into DL, and then one person can take all the tickets over to DCA and get FP's for all of them.

If you're talking about taking the AP of someone who will not be in the parks at all that day, you're probably not supposed to try to use it to get a FP, but I don't know if it will give you one or not.

For the record, I am not advocating abuse of the FastPass system.

MerryMouseWife
05-22-2002, 12:56 PM
Oh, my gosh, me either! I am just saying that I will get FP's for our family while they are in line for Billy Hill or something like that.

Merry

Berry Princess
05-22-2002, 12:59 PM
I guess I didn't ask my questions right. I do know Thunder Mt has FastPass but was wondering about the freebie since someone on this other board said they did in (before rehab).

Now for the AP. The person would NOT be there. I know you can't use someone else's AP to get in which doesn't matter cause that wasn't what I was asking. My family has APs but I am going this weekend with a friend and was just curious if other APs worked if those people were NOT there with us. I don't remermber us trying it ever when we went without our son. I know that one person can go up and just get the FPs needed for those there since that is how we do it as well but never tried using the AP of someone else that isn't there. Not like we will cause I carry mine around but was just curious about it.

MerryMouseWife
05-22-2002, 01:07 PM
Matterhorn Fan speculated that the AP would need to be scanned at the turnstile to be used for FP. I would think this would be so also. Maybe you should call Guest Services and find out for sure.

Merry

cemeinke
05-22-2002, 01:22 PM
I've seen APs of people not in the park used to get a fast pass work. Not sure though if this was a random fluke, since sometimes you can use an old ticket to get a fast pass, other times you get an error message.

There's also a way to get a fast pass without any AP or other ticket media what-so-ever.

I believe there are a couple threads already that go into the details of all this, but I'm to lazy to dig them up right now.