PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for parade and fireworks viewing

kkmickey
07-23-2006, 02:35 PM
We will be at Disneyland Resort July 31 - Aug 2 (Mon-Wed). We got a Priceline deal of $50/night at the Hyatt Regency, and even though we usually stay on site, this was a good deal. I will just miss those AAA enhanced fast passes (or whatever they are calling them now!)

Since this is the third time I have been there this year (I know, I am spoiled this year!), I am not as concerned about the crowds and getting to go on all the rides. However, I really want to see the Electrical Parade, Fantasmic, and the Fireworks. When I took the kids in November, the fireworks were cancelled due to wind.

Any advice on which days/times for each? I plan on seeing the 2nd showing of Fantasmic, so I won't have to wait as long to get a good seat. I did see the fireworks in March (without the kids), but it was after a tour and we had seating at the train station. Since my husband and I don't mind sitting for a couple of hours to save good seats, any suggestions for best viewing for the Electrical Parade and the Fireworks?

Also, which day would be best for early entry? - I believe it is offered Monday and Tuesday.

We already have Blue Bayou reservations for Lunch on Tuesday. We don't care to take any tours this time or anything.

Anything else we are missing, or should know about during the busy summer season?

Thanks - I always come to the place with all the answers!

Kristin

bassett1976
07-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Any advice on which days/times for each? I plan on seeing the 2nd showing of Fantasmic, so I won't have to wait as long to get a good seat. I did see the fireworks in March (without the kids), but it was after a tour and we had seating at the train station. Since my husband and I don't mind sitting for a couple of hours to save good seats, any suggestions for best viewing for the Electrical Parade and the Fireworks?

The ELP is easiest to see from in between the entry plaza and the Pier section. We usually sit a little farther down from PT Flea Market. This will give you a front row seat. A few times we noticed a lot of people showing up 5 minutes before the ELP to get seats and got in the front row at this point. If you want to be in the entry plaza area you'll have to camp out a while. If you do this you might be able to head into DL during the fireworks, get onto the train, exit NOS and then be in place for the second Fantasmic.

As for the fireworks, if you don't want to sit too long but want good seats you can always try sitting around It's a Small World. My wife and I do this frequently. We avoid the heavy crowds on Main Street and in the hub, we get front view seats with not as many people around (unless a REALLY heavy day). The bad part is that you miss the castly/matterhorn things. If you find a great spot you can still see part of the Matterhorn from IASM.

Malcon10t
07-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Since my husband and I don't mind sitting for a couple of hours to save good seats, any suggestions for best viewing for the Electrical Parade and the Fireworks?
For fireworks, we generally start finding seats about the time the second parade comes thru. If you go to the castle and look at the compass, you will see where they will put ropes up. My favorite spot is this back edge. You get to remain seated, you don't have people walking in front of you, and you are far enough back you can see all the fireworks.

kkmickey
07-24-2006, 04:21 PM
If you go to the castle and look at the compass, you will see where they will put ropes up. My favorite spot is this back edge.

I am not sure where you are talking about - could you clarify?

THpoohbear
07-24-2006, 05:00 PM
As for the fireworks, if you don't want to sit too long but want good seats you can always try sitting around It's a Small World. My wife and I do this frequently. We avoid the heavy crowds on Main Street and in the hub, we get front view seats with not as many people around (unless a REALLY heavy day). The bad part is that you miss the castly/matterhorn things. If you find a great spot you can still see part of the Matterhorn from IASM.

Since you haven't seen the fireworks from anywhere except the train station, and your kids haven't seen them at all, I wouldn't recommend viewing from small world. It's definitely a more immersive experience from directly in front of the castle. To get the best seats, I too find seats while the second parade runs by the hub (two hours before fireworks). The good thing about that is you can see the parade too! I usually sit and wait for fireworks on the hub across the street from the castle, right on the edge of the curb. While a lot of time you have to stand during the show, I like being a little further back than across the street directly in front of the castle.

Malcon10t
07-24-2006, 05:05 PM
I am not sure where you are talking about - could you clarify?On the ground, just before you get on the bridge to the castle, there is a compass (big star, north, south, east, west.) The ropes will be just behind there.

Frogberto
07-24-2006, 05:25 PM
On the ground, just before you get on the bridge to the castle, there is a compass (big star, north, south, east, west.) The ropes will be just behind there.

I understand that, but I think what the original poster was asking (and I know what I was curious about is) ... what is the "back edge"? Do you mean right behind the ropes, or the back part of that section, i.e., the curb of the hub facing that rope (but still a ways back).

Malcon10t
07-24-2006, 05:55 PM
I understand that, but I think what the original poster was asking (and I know what I was curious about is) ... what is the "back edge"? Do you mean right behind the ropes, or the back part of that section, i.e., the curb of the hub facing that rope (but still a ways back).
*My preference* is within the sitting area. This area will be roped in during the second parade generally (sometimes earlier.) If you want to stake out prior to the ropes going up, you will need to be on the castle side of the ropes. The rope will be about where the red brick meets the greyer bricks. Dont be sitting on the red bricks, they will run you off. You can look and find the metal spots where the rope holders will go.

Oh, back edge means the back part of that section. Too close and the castle will block some of the fireworks.