PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Paris - July 2006 - Sequoia Lodge

Vegitabeta
07-23-2006, 06:32 AM
So here it is, the trip report you’ve all been waiting for! I’m not very good at writing these, and I can’t remember exactly what I did on what day and stuff (I didn’t write it down or anything) but I’ll try my best:) .

Here are the 7 pages of photos! Yes, there are a few lol... (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j242/Vegitabeta/Disneyland%20Resort%20Paris/?start=0)

Ok, so we left on the morning of the 13th, and arrived at our hotel late morning. We were staying at Disney’s Hotel Sequoia Lodge, which is themed around America’s National Parks. We have stayed there before, and really liked it, and we recommend it to anyone! As soon as we had dumped our stuff in our room, off we went to Disneyland! When we got there, we jumped on the Disneyland Railroad, and did the full circuit. Unfortunately, while riding, we realised how hot it was (I was wearing jeans!) and we went back to the hotel to cool down for a bit. My mom stayed in the room for the rest of the night (has a bad back) but me and my dad went back to the park. The first thing we rode…Pirates! It had to be done:) Now I will tell you a bit about the differences in this POTC compared to the others (spoilers!).

Well obviously, there’s no Jack Sparrow AAs *sigh*…but anyway, one thing I noticed was this…There is a stone archway near the beginning of the ride, and in the archway there are projected silhouettes of English soldiers firing cannons at the pirates. To the left of this and up, there is a pirate hanging from a rope, (not a dead pirate!) and he swings over your heads as you pass him. Another thing there is: cats. Yes, cats floating round and round in the water on boxes, kinda cute! After that, you enter the jail scene (yes, it’s sorta back to front, I know!) Instead of three pirates and a dog, there are three pirates either side of you and the dog on the right, then there’s the first drop. The pirate on the Wicked Wench has bows tied to his beard:confused: Everything after that is pretty much the same as the other rides. Although, you have the treasure scene and the skeleton in bed at the end of the ride, and that skeleton that says ‘Dead Men Tell No Tales’…he’s at the end of the ride telling you to remain seated lol. Oh, you get your photo taken on this POTC, but I didn’t buy one…

Also, met Jack Sparrow (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j242/Vegitabeta/Disneyland%20Resort%20Paris/?action=view&current=BerniceandJackSparrow2.jpg&refPage=120&imgAnch=imgAnch130) outside! But most of you already know that, hehe...

The next day we went to Walt Disney Studios, or, the ‘half day’ park. We did the Moteurs Action stunt show, which was cool. We did Armageddon Special Effects, very cool! Also did Cinémagique, which is quite neat, and finally, the Studio Tram Tour. Doing all that didn’t take us too long, so we headed back to Disneyland. Oh yeah, by the way, it was Bastille Day on Friday 14th, so it was very busy! We tried to do as many rides as we could…all the Fast Passes seemed to be gone though. One more mention of a ride with a lot of differences is the Phantom Manor or Haunted Mansion, if you prefer.

On boarding your Doom Buggy, there is a large (looks like a cardboard cutout) staircase (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j242/Vegitabeta/Disneyland%20Resort%20Paris/?action=view&current=LoadingArea.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch4) behind you. Now, I have to mention, there are a lot more brides (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j242/Vegitabeta/Disneyland%20Resort%20Paris/?action=view&current=Bride.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch3) in here than there are in the HMs in WDW and DL. There are portraits of her as you walk in, and inside there are at least 3 AAs, one hologram, and one or two skeletons wearing wedding dresses. I also noticed that Madame Leota mentions something about ‘a ravishing bride, a vanishing groom’; does she do this in the HM? Another very different scene in the ride is the Wild West scene. There is a dead cowboy shooting at you, a man lifting has hat to you, (but instead of just lifting his hat, his whole head comes off!) a saloon, including a dead Wild West girl, a dead guy playing snooker or something, and a dead bartender. You also seem to go ‘underground’ where there are a lot of skeletons, the singing busts, and a swinging noose…One other thing, there’s no hitchhiking ghosts…*sniff*. Overall, the Phantom Manor tells the story of the bride much better than the Haunted Mansion does.

Anyway, on the night time, we waited to watch Fantillusion. This is DLRP’s ELP or it’s Spectromagic. When I say we waited, we really did wait…for about an hour, in the heat, surrounded by ignorant people! But let’s not get into that. As I was stuck on a corner, my photos aren’t brilliant, but you can get the idea. As soon as the parade was finished, everyone spilled onto Main Street, filling every available space. Bastille Day fireworks were supposed to be ‘special’, or so I’d heard. I just came away wishing I’d done some more rides while it was quiet, or done some shopping. It was quite disappointing, as it lasted less than 10 minutes, and my legs and feet were killing after standing for so long! In the words of my dad, ‘I guess it’s a French thing’.

On Saturday we went into Paris, but on the night we watched ‘Wishes’. It was very different from the Wishes at DL. That big purple thing in front of the castle on my photos with ‘Wishes’ written on it, was the projector for the show. If you look closely at a couple of my photos, you can see the blue fairy on the castle, and lots of colours. There were a lot of things projected onto the castle such as Aladdin’s lamp, Jafar, the brooms from Fantasia, the slave in the magic mirror etc. This made up for the Bastille Day fireworks in my opinion! Before watching wishes we had dinner at the Blue Lagoon, basically the Blue Bayou but with slightly better lighting! Good meal, no mint juleps there though!

Sunday was just another day at the park, rode loads of stuff, and took lots of photos! In the evening we watched the Princess Parade, which is what it was called, but was actually just a repeat of the 4 o’ clock parade. You know, like your afternoon parades at WDW and DL. Some of the floats were really big for this parade, as you can see from the photos. On the night time, we had a reservation at Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show in Disney Village. If you go to DLRP, you have to go see this, it’s great! There are Buffalo (obviously!) horses, cows, and lots of shooting! Oh, and everyone gets a free straw hat!

On Monday it was hotter than ever, it was in the 90s again and we were sizzling. We went over to the studios to do Animagique, (think Mickey’s Philharmagic on stage, with people in pink elephant costumes) The Art of Disney Animation, and Flying Carpets over Agrabah. We then headed over to Disneyland again to do things we’d left out like the Storybookland Canal boats, Casey Junior, Alice’s Curious Labyrinth, and another round of POTC; gyarrr! Me and my dad then braved it and went on Space Mountain. I would just like to point out that this is the fastest SM of them all, and it has a loop and a corkscrew. We found the SMs in WDW and DL very tame, but this one? Pfft. The best bit of the whole ride was getting shot out of the gun, (as you can see on my photos) and I’d bashed my head before I even got to there! You got rattled around like a crazy thing, and I had a big headache when I got off! Then, for something a little tamer, we went into the Nautilus, my dad’s fave:D The day before this, a CM told me it was closed for good, but he obviously didn’t understand what I was asking, because to our delight, we walked straight in. Not much to say about this really, it’s very nice, just look at my photos, I know we have some sub geeks on the boards!
For dinner, we went to Café Mickey in Disney Village. A character meal, of course, I met Mickey, Goofy, Eeyore and King John (who made me kiss his hand) It was our last night, so into the park for some shopping and a couple of rides, then back to the hotel.

Now onto Tuesday, our last day. Time for all those last minute things you need to buy, pressies for the folks back home etc, and the rides you wanna do again. Of course, we had to go another round of POTC:) and the Phantom Manor, had a ride on the Mark Twain, did the Lion King Show (that was Monday but who cares? Lol). I didn’t wanna go home but, who does? I just wish it hadn’t been so hot. I was pleased at the amount of pirates stuff available and the amount of Jessica Rabbit stuff I came home with:p

Anyway, thanks for reading…I wrote more than I thought, so I’m gonna shut up now, I just hope someone reads it!

Bluesky
07-23-2006, 03:54 PM
This was great, thank you! We have a trip planned to Paris in a couple weeks and are going to try to fit in a visit to DLRP. I haven't taken a look at your photos, but I will in a few moments.

Bluesky
07-23-2006, 04:03 PM
Great photos, too!

yellowrosedtxn
07-24-2006, 06:26 AM
Great report! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Glad you shared it with us!

Shelley

geoffa
07-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Terrific report and photos but...who is the female chipmunk with Chip n Dale (Tic n Tac)?

Vegitabeta
07-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Terrific report and photos but...who is the female chipmunk with Chip n Dale (Tic n Tac)?
I was wondering that too!

Hoppypooh
07-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Her name is Clarice. She starred in a short called "Two Chips and a Miss" where Chip and Dale fight over her each thinking she is his girlfriend. Apparently she is VERY popular in the European and Asian parks, but rarely appears in the American parks.

crrees
07-27-2006, 01:44 PM
Cant you drink a beer in europe and be pretty much any age?

Vegitabeta
07-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Well, the age here is 18, and they gave me beer in Buffalo Bill's in Disney Village, so I'm pretty sure it is yeah.

Disney Vault
07-30-2006, 08:32 PM
I really wish more ideas from this park were brought to the original DL. And I would love that fake staircase for the HM.

sora4506
09-24-2006, 07:04 AM
those were awesome pictures and the one where you was herbie!!
hey wait a minute they gave away the real herbie on radio disney what gives!?!?

Vegitabeta
09-24-2006, 07:24 AM
those were awesome pictures and the one where you was herbie!!
hey wait a minute they gave away the real herbie on radio disney what gives!?!?
Well, in most movies they have quite a few identical cars, so I'm guessing they just gave that one away and are using some in the stunt shows as well.

MaraMouse
09-25-2006, 04:00 AM
There's a Beast's Castle?? I never knew that, can you go inside? What do you do there?

Vegitabeta
09-25-2006, 04:13 AM
This? (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j242/Vegitabeta/Disneyland%20Resort%20Paris/?action=view&current=DSC02218.jpg&refPage=80&imgAnch=imgAnch96) It's not a life-size castle or anything, it's something you can see from the Storybookland canal boats, and Casey Junior. It's very nice though, and it would be nice if you could walk round inside!

MaraMouse
09-25-2006, 10:42 AM
OOooh, wow they do a good job of making something appear bigger than it really is!

I've always wanted to ask someone who's visited a Disneyland in another country this question... how would you compare your experience over there, to the Disneylands here? Does it have that same feel? Also, are the CM's as nice too? (Not that I'm thinking that they wouldn't be, but just wondering if it's the same 'Disney way' over there.

Vegitabeta
09-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Well from my experience, the CMs are almost as good as the American ones. In the U.S parks, the CMs seem to be more forthcoming, that's about all though. Also, I'll probably always pick one of the U.S Disney parks over the Paris one, but I wouldn't particularly say that Paris is not as good. I think that WDW is the best, and DL and DLRP are a very close second. It definately has the same feel as the other parks though, just slighlty smaller. I mentioned in my trip report that I think certain attractions are better in DLRP than they are in the other two parks, but other than that, there's not much to pick on! However, DLRP's castle is my favourite:)

MaraMouse
09-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Oh yay, that's comforting to hear, I've always wanted to visit all the Disneylands in other countries, but always felt fear of feeling dissapointment when I got there if it wasn't the same, but anyways, Disney made it so I have to see it someday, and I can always do it this way, if I'm going to visit France one day, then I might as well devote a couple days to the Disneyland there.... or is it if I'm going to visit Disneyland Paris, I might as well check out France.... lol.. I dunno which one takes priority...lol

Vegitabeta
09-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Oh yay, that's comforting to hear, I've always wanted to visit all the Disneylands in other countries, but always felt fear of feeling dissapointment when I got there if it wasn't the same, but anyways, Disney made it so I have to see it someday, and I can always do it this way, if I'm going to visit France one day, then I might as well devote a couple days to the Disneyland there.... or is it if I'm going to visit Disneyland Paris, I might as well check out France.... lol.. I dunno which one takes priority...lol
Disneyland of course! The Eiffel Tower is only a minor thing when you've got a Disneyland just down the road;)

MaraMouse
09-25-2006, 11:44 AM
You're right, the sight-seeing will have to work around my Disney schedule, plus I've already been to the top of the Eiffel half-scale in Paris Vegas :p

nojarama
09-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks for sharing the photos & your take on the DLP experience. I'm saving my pennies so I can eventually head over there to visit it myself!;)

Regardsarama,

Jon

dizfan4
03-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Hello Vegitabeta, Just read about the trip you took... I felt like I was there ! Very interesting, loved reading about it. So whats with this " add a quote " " quick reply " stuff, I'm not sure how to write to people so they know I answering back to their reply..... or if I just want to write to them..... am I missing something ??I know, I'm having a "DUH" moment. and I'm to old to have a moment like that ! Hee Hee, Well anyway, I put your name on this so you would know it's to you. Jackie

ralfrick
03-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Hello Vegitabeta, Just read about the trip you took... I felt like I was there ! Very interesting, loved reading about it. So whats with this " add a quote " " quick reply " stuff, I'm not sure how to write to people so they know I answering back to their reply..... or if I just want to write to them..... am I missing something ??I know, I'm having a "DUH" moment. and I'm to old to have a moment like that ! Hee Hee, Well anyway, I put your name on this so you would know it's to you. Jackie

I've never used the quick reply box, but to quote a previous post, like I've done with yours above, click the "quote" button within the post instead of the reply button.

A bientot.