PDA

View Full Version : I need your help! What is the best thing to do...

Doug
07-22-2006, 02:21 PM
... at DLR, excluding rides? See, my focus is always on the rides, I go allot, but avoid the parades/shows, hardly ever even see the fireworks .... so, what say ye? What is a fun non-ride thing to do at DLR?

disneyperson
07-22-2006, 02:36 PM
We love to spend Friday and/or Saturday evenings listening to the swing bands and watching the dancing. Some of the dancers are amazing, others are just guests having fun. The music is always wonderful.

Of course you can always join in the dancing too!

HiHoSilver
07-22-2006, 02:40 PM
Dude, you should definitely check out all the parades. And the fireworks are a must. I recommend a spot in front of the castle for the fireworks, so you can see all of the incredible special effects. You'll know what I mean when you see it for the first time. Have you not seen Fantasmic either? Gotta see that. When you're done with all those, remember that another fun thing to do is to find a cool spot in the shade to sit down, relax, and enjoy the atmosphere around you.

Malcon10t
07-22-2006, 02:49 PM
... at DLR, excluding rides? See, my focus is always on the rides, I go allot, but avoid the parades/shows, hardly ever even see the fireworks .... so, what say ye? What is a fun non-ride thing to do at DLR?
Fireworks in front of the castle, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe, hunt down Push and watch for a bit, watch the flag retreat, go find a quiet bench in NOS and people watch, in NOS watch the pirates doing their gig, find the trashcan guys and watch them play, Fantasmic! is a must, in DCA watch the Wave Riders.

bradk
07-22-2006, 02:52 PM
pilot the mark twain... steal control of the bell from some whiny kid on the disneyland firetruck and annoy everyone on main street

rosie
07-22-2006, 03:09 PM
pilot the mark twain... steal control of the bell from some whiny kid on the disneyland firetruck and annoy everyone on main street
Brad, You are just a riot!

Gone2Disneyland
07-22-2006, 03:17 PM
Watch a performance by Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at The Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland. Live music and comedy show. You'll become a fan.

Goosegirl
07-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Fireworks in front of the castle, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies at the Golden Horseshoe, hunt down Push and watch for a bit, watch the flag retreat, go find a quiet bench in NOS and people watch, in NOS watch the pirates doing their gig, find the trashcan guys and watch them play, Fantasmic! is a must, in DCA watch the Wave Riders.

What is Push?

disneyperson
07-22-2006, 04:34 PM
What is Push?
Push is the talking trash can in Tomorrowland.

erica84
07-22-2006, 05:09 PM
If you are including DCA, you have to see the Electrical Parade and Turtle Talk with Crush (in the Animation building in the Hollywood Backlot). Those two are always on my list when I'm planning a trip. Enjoy!! :)

Doug
07-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Ok, there are some things I have not done... I have seen Fantasmic, but it's been a looong time since I have sat (stood) there and watched the whole thing (hard to get a place! I with they had seats like WDW), I have seen, and have video'd Push, I have seen the fireworks, right in front of the castle... in fact, one night, a monday, I went to DLR on a whim, I was close, in LA, so I headed over, by myself (I know, crazy!), Rode space mtn, and WALKED RIGHT UP IN FRONT OF THE CASTLE at about 9:20pm! Can you believe it? Took some nice shots of the fireworks... I have seen the Electric Light Parade (have not stood still and watched the whole thing for probably a good year or two), Billy Hill and the Hillbillies? Are they like the band that plays next to GRR in DCA? They place INSIDE the Golden Horse Shoe? What are those guys out front, that have a skit? Wave Riders? Is that the band that plays on the truck while they drive around? Pilot the Mark Twain?! I was just on it recently, to take pics of the seats/screen for POTC premier ... And I saw someone up there (the captain, she was cute), some one who turned out to be a guest, I did not know you could go up there :> ... have not seen that new pirate show... Yeah, the swing bands... I guess I should get a closer look sometime.... I guess I should catch I parade sometime.... usually just getting there when the parades start...... Ok, any more ideas :)? Thanks Guys!

DianeM
07-22-2006, 10:58 PM
I like to play with the water fountains at the area between the castle and tomorrowland. I don't know what they are called -but they squirt above your head in a pattern, and it's fun to play with them. Also, the ball next to Space Mountain - it was more fun when they had random jets around it, but it's still cool. I collect pressed pennies. They have a set of 51 for the 50th anniversary - and a book to put them in. I like most of the shows - It's tough to be a bug, Muppets, Honey I shrunk the audience, Billy Hill and the Hillbillies (the golden horseshoe saloon show). The 3-D stuff is fun, and really interesting. There are often street entertainers out, and they can be really fun to watch. Another neat thing to do is to look closely at the park - New Orleans Square, Main Street... there are interesting things all over the place... even in the landscaping. There is a remarkable amount of detail in the park, and I suspect that most people are too busy rushing from ride to ride to notice it. They have some incredibly beautiful light fixtures in the landscaping right next to the train station in New Orleans square.

Malcon10t
07-23-2006, 12:06 AM
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies? Are they like the band that plays next to GRR in DCA? They place INSIDE the Golden Horse Shoe? What are those guys out front, that have a skit?
The skit out front of Golden Horseshoe is Laughing Stock. Billy Hill is inside.

Gone2Disneyland
07-23-2006, 12:50 AM
The skit out front of Golden Horseshoe is Laughing Stock. Billy Hill is inside.
Right! Check the daily entertainment guide for show times for Billy Hill inside the GH, and, for that matter, Laughing Stock out front.

Phantom2006
07-23-2006, 01:56 AM
I like to play with the water fountains at the area between the castle and tomorrowland. I don't know what they are called -but they squirt above your head in a pattern, and it's fun to play with them.

What water fountains?

kohl
07-23-2006, 09:41 AM
I think it's where King Triton is.

Micmousetoo
07-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I have seen Fantasmic, but it's been a looong time since I have sat (stood) there and watched the whole thing (hard to get a place! I wish they had seats like WDW),

Oh my gosh! No, No, No, No! Stadium seating for Fantasmic at DL? Never! The best part of Fantasmic is sitting in what I call Disneyland's Living Room and watching Fantasmic on the Rivers of America! I know it is not always comfortable and it can be hard to get a good seat unless you are willing to stake out a spot, but I just love looking over the crowd when Fantasmic first starts and seeing the placed packed! I get a warm fuzzing feeling all over. It's part of the charm of DL. DL is too small to allow for lots of efficient stadiums to move people in and out of shows. At DL it is about more then just maximum entertainment. To me when you are watching Fantasmic at the Rivers of America in DL you are in the heartland of DL! Sometimes during Fantasmic I still feel like I might get a quick glimpse of Walt strolling through the area.

It actually sounds like you have covered a lot of the other activities at DL. Have you seen Aladdin in DCA? We saw it when we were there in December. We really enjoyed it! And as so many other people said Bill Hill and the Hillbillies is hilarious!

Have a great trip!