PDA

View Full Version : Priceline (again)

SeansMom
07-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Does anybody know where I can find how priceline and hotwire rate their hotels? I'm trying to find the difference between 2 and 3 star but no luck :confused: .

kiwifuz
07-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Ummm I'll try to explain....

After you choose to "name your own price;" then you choose your city, dates, # of room; then it lets you choose the specific area you want (so let's say Disneyland area, or LAX area, or Newport-Huntington Beach, etc); then when you choose the level hotel that you're bidding on you can click on each level to see how they define that level.

So Disneyland area give you 3, 2 1/2, 2, & 1 star as options. You click on each of those names and can read what they define as that level hotel.

So 3 star says: "The most recognized name brands and quality independent hotels in the industry, these hotels feature high quality rooms and well-decorated public spaces.
Along with all of the amenities of a moderate-plus hotel, 3-star hotels offer a higher level of guest service, a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and in-room dining. A fitness center may also be available.
3 Star hotel examples:
The hotel brands shown below are for example only and may not be partnered with priceline.com. You may get another name-brand or independent hotel of equivalent quality.
• Hilton • Marriott • Sheraton
• Hyatt • Embassy Suites • Holiday Inn
3 Star hotels will have the following amenities:
Remote Control TV with Premium Channels
Telephone with Voicemail
Radio Alarm Clock
Iron and Ironing Board
Hairdryer
Business Services
24 Hour Front Desk
Restaurant
Room Service"

down to 1 star which says:
"Priceline's 1 star hotels are national name-brand and quality independent hotels that focus on the budget conscious traveler.
These are generally low-rise hotels located near major attractions, convenient intersections or major interstates. Furnishings are basic, clean and in good condition. Restaurants are either on site or close-by.
1 Star hotel examples:
The hotel brands shown below are for example only and may not be partnered with priceline.com. You may get another name-brand or independent hotel of equivalent quality.
• Rodeway Inns • EconoLodge • Super 8
• Sleep Inn • Red Roof Inn
1 Star hotels will have the following amenities:
Color Television with Remote Control
Telephone with Messaging"

Hope that helps

SeansMom
07-21-2006, 09:11 PM
thank you! That helps. It's a little confusing.

kiwifuz
07-22-2006, 09:36 AM
thank you! That helps. It's a little confusing.
Sorry, I tried to explain it as easily as possible. I just have never understood why there isn't another way to find out what their star levels mean. Unless I'm totally missing something you have to get as far as where you're choosing your star level before you can see what the levels are actually defined as.

SeansMom
07-22-2006, 11:21 AM
kiwifuz, you did a great job explaining. I meant the site is confusing for a newbie. I'm hesitant to try, but we just need one night to tack onto our package, and I don't want to pay a premium price for a bed. Thanks for your help!

Opus1guy
07-22-2006, 01:17 PM
After you choose to "name your own price;" then you choose your city, dates, # of room; then it lets you choose the specific area you want (so let's say Disneyland area, or LAX area, or Newport-Huntington Beach, etc); then when you choose the level hotel that you're bidding on you can click on each level to see how they define that level.

So Disneyland area give you 3, 2 1/2, 2, & 1 star as options. You click on each of those names and can read what they define as that level hotel.

I'm sure you've figured out the above already, but just in case you haven't...here's what those links you're looking for look like:

http://members.aol.com/opus1guy/uploads/pricelineratings.gif

:)

kiwifuz
07-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks Opus1guy, I am never sure what the rules are about posting pictures.

Opus1guy
07-23-2006, 03:44 PM

To embed the photo here (where the photo actually shows up in the post)...it has to be under both 20,000 bytes and 400 x 400 pixels.

That particular picture is 8,233 bytes and 391 x 109 pixels...making it okay. I usually have to edit & reduce any photos I embed, with Photoshop, to get them under those magic numbers.

Also, an individual poster can only embed one photo per thread. So "Chose Wisely." ;)

You can place as many "links" to photos, of any size, that you like in a thread.

Drince88
07-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I could have sworn I responded to this before Opus1guy did - oh well, I must have not hit submit :rolleyes:

There's a treasure trove of information in the FAQ forum - including this thread. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=10101)

In addition to what Opus1guy said, you must own the rights to the image.

going2disneyAZ
07-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Does anybody know where I can find how priceline and hotwire rate their hotels? I'm trying to find the difference between 2 and 3 star but no luck :confused: .

Here's a tip for hotwire.com....get a quote for a vacation package (air + hotel) You'll get a real good idea of what hotels they have contracts with in what areas. The vacation packages will show you the actual hotel nmaes. Not 100% accurate but it will paint a picture for you. Then go back and get bids on hotels and compare the star rating and amenities with those that came up on the vacation packages.

In some markets you'll be able to tell which hotel you are choosing by doing this. At Disneyland South 3 stars will nearly always (if not always) get you Crowne Plaza, Hilton or Hyatt.

kiwifuz
07-24-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info Opus & Drince!! :)

tinker3
07-25-2006, 02:23 PM
I learned a lot too. Thanks everyone!:fez:

SeansMom
07-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Here's a tip for hotwire.com....get a quote for a vacation package (air + hotel) You'll get a real good idea of what hotels they have contracts with in what areas. The vacation packages will show you the actual hotel nmaes. Not 100% accurate but it will paint a picture for you. Then go back and get bids on hotels and compare the star rating and amenities with those that came up on the vacation packages.

In some markets you'll be able to tell which hotel you are choosing by doing this. At Disneyland South 3 stars will nearly always (if not always) get you Crowne Plaza, Hilton or Hyatt.

Now that's a great idea! Thanks for the additional info.