PDA

View Full Version : Which Jack [animatronic] is best?

Pages : [1] 2

daisylovesdk
07-21-2006, 11:03 AM
for everyone that has ridden the re-done potc at dlr........which of the three new jacks is your favorite?????

1. near the well?

2. in the barell?

3. at the end of the ride?

I think the one near the well is the best....he seems a little short, but I almost jumped off the boat to check him out LOL:D

heres a pic of the one by the barrel

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/060624/ids_photos_en/r3716724345.jpg

Andrew
07-21-2006, 11:05 AM
They're all very impressive. In fact, I think they're too realistic; they clash with the caricature style of the other animatronics in the ride.

daisylovesdk
07-21-2006, 11:35 AM
thought this was kinda cool

http://www.disneylandnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=163

disneyballerina
07-21-2006, 11:35 AM
IMO, the first two are awesome. The last Jack at the end of the ride looks nothing at all like him.

I was very disturbed when I learned about the rehab and the changes they had planned. I made it a point to be there for the premiere weekend; I rode it and loved it. I didn't expect to and can in fact admit that I didn't really want to like it. I thought I was going to come away crying that they had ruined our ride forever. There are things I miss, such as the old speil before the first drop. But for me, the good outweighs the bad and it's still my favorite ride.

If I had to pick a favorite Jack I guess it would be same as yours, daisylovesdk. What do you think of Barbossa? I don't think he resembles the real Barbossa very much.

daisylovesdk
07-21-2006, 11:41 AM
I agree on Barbossa.....but at least they used Rush's voice. also if you click on the link on my previous post the ship is called "the wicked wench".......I dont remember that in either movie LOL

but the davy jones effect was awesome....I thought I was gonna get wet:)

cstephens
07-21-2006, 11:55 AM
For me, it's a toss-up between the first one and second one. I like the total movements on the first one, and I think it's funny where he has his hands resting! I like the second one because of his expression, especially when he looks at the dog after it's barking at him. I'm not fond of the last one as the likeness is not very good at all. Apparently, his hands were supposed to be more articulated instead of statically holding objects, but I don't know that it would have made a difference to me other than "ooo, cool".

THpoohbear
07-21-2006, 11:34 PM
(Spoiler about the second Pirates movie follows)

I agree with the first two being very well done. I like both. But I really don't like the third. His mouth and face are off. It kinda creeps me out.

(Spoiler about the second Pirates movie follows)

About Barbosa being on the Wicked Wench, my hubby thought maybe the ship Barbosa captains in the third movie might be named the Wicked Wench to match the ride. I thought it was an interesting thought.

daisylovesdk
07-21-2006, 11:53 PM
hmmmmmmmm very interesting about the wicked wench......hope its true:cool:

OC Disney Dad Dude
07-22-2006, 08:22 AM
I think the Wicked Wench has always been called that. I read somewhere that the producers of the Pirates movies would not allow Disney to change it to the Black Pearl. We don't want your stupid name anyway! ;)

As for the Cap'n - I agree with Andrew. He looks too real. The first time I saw the Depp/Sparrow animatronic, I thought some guest had gotten off the boat and was standing there. He looks too likelike and moves too fluidly to fit in with the rest of the ride.

All the other pirates have shiny "skin" and move like robots. And then there's Johnny. He is not shiny and moves like a living person. Kind of creepy really.

The one at the end of the ride resembles Keith Richards more than Johnny. And Barbosa? Could have fooled me. Looks like any other hirsute pirate captain.

I do love the new lighting & effects. The waterfall is the best thing I have seen there since the Indy ride opened.

Maus
07-22-2006, 09:48 AM
I like the first one best as well. On my first sighting I was sitting alone in my row--I had to slide over to get a better look!

I, too, agree with Andrew. He looks too real to fit in with the other pirates. That's also noticeable in the portraits appearing in the queue. The others are cartoons, Jack is not.

The last Jack may not be as convincing but his off-key singing makes me laugh.

mystycalchyk
07-22-2006, 09:59 AM
I read somewhere that the producers of the Pirates movies would not allow Disney to change it to the Black Pearl.

Actually, we were told, by our extremely reliable CM friend, that they wanted to do the Black Pearl but were unable to actually fit it into the scene and still maintain the integrity of the realism factor they go for simply because of the size. So they left the old ship in place.

Pulpscrypt
07-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Wow. HAving only seen the new Pirates once (at WDW this past month)...I'd have to say on that one that I liked the final Jack best...probably because he is singing the Yo HO song! LOL THey all look EXCELLENT. NOw the Barbarosa on the other hand....eh!

Dave

Sub Maniak
07-22-2006, 03:13 PM
Jack=WOW!:D
Barbossa= OUCH!:(

THpoohbear
07-22-2006, 06:26 PM
I think the Wicked Wench has always been called that. I read somewhere that the producers of the Pirates movies would not allow Disney to change it to the Black Pearl.

I didn't mean that they would change the name of the ship in the ride (I know it's always been called the Wicked Wench). What I was saying is that my hubby thought that in the to-be-released 3rd movie, they might name the ship the Wicked Wench, so it would all tie together. :) None of this is based on anything, it's just a theory my DH spouted off.

CamCay
07-22-2006, 06:52 PM
The standing Jack was the best. The third didn't even look like Jack or the other two Jack's in the ride. It was a little odd to see how realistic he was mixed in with the old guys! Still, i was impressed they didn't ruin the ride by turning it into a movie. My kids really enjoyed it too.

disneygurl92
07-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Is the Davy Jones waterfall scary for younger kids? Like does he just pop out suddenly or anything? We're taking a scardy cat monday. lol

disneyballerina
07-23-2006, 02:07 AM
Is the Davy Jones waterfall scary for younger kids? Like does he just pop out suddenly or anything? We're taking a scardy cat monday. lol

Has said scaredy cat already seen Davy Jones in the movie? How old is said scaredy cat? IMHO, the movie is more scary than the actual ride.

Davy Jones definitely does not just pop out at you. It's a really cool effect -- and it's so misty that it doesn't seem threatening. It's just, as my 6 year old son says, "wicked cool". You will see him at a distance before you pass through the mist. It's awesome.

kimk
07-23-2006, 08:34 AM
My kids (under age 6) were not scared by the Davey Jones projection. They were a little more concerned about anticipating the drops that were upcoming...
No one on our boat got too soaked.

kimk
07-23-2006, 08:37 AM
oh, almost forgot, my favorite Captain Jack animatronic is the 1st one, even though I love hearing his voice on the third one as we climb up the lift at the end of the attraction.

bloomaroo
07-23-2006, 11:31 AM
I liked all of them.

geoffa
07-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Here's a picture of first Jack in the ride (near drowning of the mayor - spookily lifelike!:

http://www.sca-group.co.uk/personal/darrin/1stJackinride.jpg

Vegitabeta
07-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Here's a picture of first Jack in the ride (near drowning of the mayor - spookily lifelike!:

http://www.sca-group.co.uk/personal/darrin/1stJackinride.jpg
That's a very cool pic! Can't wait to get there one day and see it for real:)

disneygurl92
07-23-2006, 08:07 PM
His hat looks a lot different. It looks almost purpleish on my com.

AliceInWonderland
07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
I like the Jack near the well.

BlkPearlCptn
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
I agree on Barbossa.....but at least they used Rush's voice. also if you click on the link on my previous post the ship is called "the wicked wench".......I dont remember that in either movie LOL

Apparently all will be revealed in the next movie! ;)