PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the plane ticket prices

Pages : [1] 2

r-we-there-yet
07-20-2006, 08:41 PM
I quoted in Jan= $200
I quoted in Mar= $250
I quoted in Jul= $403

My idea of it maybe getting cheaper closer to Dec. seems to be backfiring on me.

What's the old saying??? Buy low and sell high.
:crying:

kiwifuz
07-20-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm thinking it has to do with fuel prices. I'm hoping tickets start getting cheaper too. We're planning a trip for the end of Nov.

annalisa
07-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Ugh, prices are getting ridiculous, but yeah, a lot of it has to do with the gas prices.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about a little tip (if you can call it that) I read in an article on MSN a while back...

While the theory has always been plane tickets are cheaper the closer you get to your departure date, because of the ever-rising gas prices, this is no longer the case. Basically, the $250 you see now for December could be a steal come November with tickets up to $500. Of course, that's (hopefully) unrealistic, but don't wait TOO long to buy.

I Heart Disneyland!
07-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Crisis in Middle East ring a bell? ;)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-20-2006, 10:21 PM
Ugh, prices are getting ridiculous, but yeah, a lot of it has to do with the gas prices.

Just thought I'd let you guys know about a little tip (if you can call it that) I read in an article on MSN a while back...

While the theory has always been plane tickets are cheaper the closer you get to your departure date, because of the ever-rising gas prices, this is no longer the case. Basically, the $250 you see now for December could be a steal come November with tickets up to $500. Of course, that's (hopefully) unrealistic, but don't wait TOO long to buy.

This is the truth. Waiting does not pay off, like it use to.
The gas prices, for cars, as well as jet fuel are impacting it for sure. Jet fuel prices are not going down, but in most cases, it is still cheaper to fly, long distances, so people will pay it, no matter the cost. I say buy now, before it goes up even more.

r-we-there-yet
07-20-2006, 11:23 PM
I may have to sell one of my offsprings to a sweat shop.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Funny thing: I got a quote from JetBlue, a few weeks ago, on the Long Beach-Boston segments of my fall vacation. Then, this past weekend, I actually booked the segments. I was expecting the fare to have gone up, given skyrocketing oil prices. Surprise: the fare had DROPPED $25.

DianeM
07-21-2006, 06:23 AM
You're still pretty far from december, don't worry too much. I used to regularly buy tickets to Montreal, and found that prices varyed considerabaly months before my trip. I would start looking as soon as I was planning on going, and check weekly, so I got an idea of what a good price was. Prices would go up and down a lot. When I saw a good price, I jumped. Airline prices aren't high all over, I just got my mother a round trip ticket from San Francisco to San Diego for $123. The trick was, she has to return on monday instead of sunday. For sunday, it would have been $40 more.

I quoted in Jan= $200
I quoted in Mar= $250
I quoted in Jul= $403

My idea of it maybe getting cheaper closer to Dec. seems to be backfiring on me.

What's the old saying??? Buy low and sell high.
:crying:

JookyG
07-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Summer is peak season. That's why tickets in July are so expensive.

wvnative
07-24-2006, 12:48 PM
I booked Phoenix to Orange County for 138/per yesterday afternoon for our trip in Oct. on Southwest. It was slightly less to fly into LAX but I figured by the time I paid for the shuttle from LAX... I was saving quite a bit.

JosieGirl71
07-24-2006, 01:30 PM
I have been checking flights from Portland to SNA, ONT and LAX for the last two months and they haven't budged. Flying into SNA or ONT is about $337 and LAX is about $317. I keep waiting for the prices to go down again so we can make our spring break ressies.

hlbtimes2
07-24-2006, 02:36 PM
You just have to keep watching the fares. Last week I found some fares from Seattle to Long beach for under $250 (with tax and fees). They had dates from now until mid Nov. That is down from the over $400 they were asking earlier this month. And its only up about $30 over what we usually pay. Considering the rise in fuel costs, its not bad.

ChipmunkStar
07-24-2006, 03:12 PM
I just scored $250/person roundtrip on United (LAX to MCO) last week. I looked the next day, and it had jumped to $340.

Just keep looking each day, try Orbitz, Travelocity, and those sorts of sites... And then when you find something pretty good on them, check the lowest priced airlines' official webpage. That's what I did. :)

disneyhound
07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
I have been checking flights from Portland to SNA, ONT and LAX for the last two months and they haven't budged. Flying into SNA or ONT is about $337 and LAX is about $317. I keep waiting for the prices to go down again so we can make our spring break ressies.

Last year I booked in July for our January DL trip. I was dissapointed to find fares lower in October, still months before our trip. I have been watching prices for weeks now, and have found that prices have not moved up or down. I am still hoping that when the travel industry feels the affect of school and less family travel, prices will go down... Who knows for sure. :confused:

Susan L
07-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Crisis in Middle East ring a bell? ;)

^^There you go. I would expect price to go up and up not go down.

sleepyjeff
07-24-2006, 11:11 PM
When do they normally announce kids fly free for fall?

:confused:

JosieGirl71
07-24-2006, 11:51 PM
When do they normally announce kids fly free for fall?
:confused:
As far as I know, they have only been having that in the spring.

sleepyjeff
07-25-2006, 09:05 AM
I know they did it in the fall of 04 and 01 at least.

tigga please
07-25-2006, 01:10 PM
i was listening to a travel program on FreeFM and they said airfare prices depend on the route now, instead of the airlines. you can find lower fares than say, southwest on delta..just based on the route. ya just gotta do the research.

G2-4T
07-25-2006, 07:49 PM
I try to go to John Wayne airport - for whatever reason we get lower airfare to that vs. LAX. That might help out if you were just searching for LAX. That and try different day combinations, recently a [business] trip I was researching cost $800 to fly with one combination but just $400 with another. So that might save you some money...

Hakuna Makarla
07-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Summer is peak season. That's why tickets in July are so expensive.

this is true, I always buy my tickets long before March, after MArch they go way up. Always!

SeansMom
07-25-2006, 08:39 PM
You just have to keep watching the fares. Last week I found some fares from Seattle to Long beach for under $250 (with tax and fees). They had dates from now until mid Nov. That is down from the over $400 they were asking earlier this month. And its only up about $30 over what we usually pay. Considering the rise in fuel costs, its not bad.

A little off topic, but I saw that too and wondered about it for our next trip. We were going to fly into SNA, but it's closer to the $400 mark. Do you like the Long Beach airport? Is the drive to DL comparable? I'd appreciate your input.

THpoohbear
07-25-2006, 09:49 PM
I just scored $250/person roundtrip on United (LAX to MCO) last week. I looked the next day, and it had jumped to $340.

Just keep looking each day, try Orbitz, Travelocity, and those sorts of sites... And then when you find something pretty good on them, check the lowest priced airlines' official webpage. That's what I did. :)

For what dates? I'm looking in late november to early december for LAX to MCO. I would love to find 250/person prices!

going2disneyAZ
07-26-2006, 08:17 AM
A little off topic, but I saw that too and wondered about it for our next trip. We were going to fly into SNA, but it's closer to the $400 mark. Do you like the Long Beach airport? Is the drive to DL comparable? I'd appreciate your input.

IMHO LNG Rocks. The drive to the DLR is not bad. Maybe 40 minutes.

hlbtimes2
07-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Do you like the Long Beach airport? Is the drive to DL comparable? I'd appreciate your input.

We love flying in and out of LB. Its a small airport- you board and deboard on the tarmac with stairs. Bagage claim is outside and takes a matter of minutes. And the car rental offices are a quick walk across the street (not really even a street, just the cars coming to pick up and drop off at the airport.

The drive is super easy. Its about 2 miles further then SNA, but an easier drive, IMO. Wardlow street runs in front of the airport. Wardlow becomes Ball. Ball runs along the back side of DL. Its a straight shot. Maybe 30-40 minutes, all nice easy driving, no free stress. You can take the freeway, but its not needed.