PDA

View Full Version : Opening With Tracks Next To BTMRR...

Doug
07-20-2006, 04:20 PM
If you walk past the entrance to the MT/Columbia, up that walk walk, with BTMRR to your right, on the left is an opening with tracks, I just wonder if that was something other than decoration at some point?

Doug

Andrew
07-20-2006, 04:22 PM
It was part of the "Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland (http://www.yesterland.com/minetrain.html)" as are the ruined track and cars you can see off the Mark Twain/Columbia on Cascade Mound.

Werner
07-20-2006, 06:33 PM
I love that area! Especially with the flickering lantern and the sounds of crickets and such at night. Kinda sad (being a "ruin" and all), but a romantic and beautiful scene I think.

Sub Maniak
07-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Heres a copy of one of my previous replys from another thread hope it helps:) :

Today as you are walking to Big Thunder go past the Mcdonalds cart towards fantasyland and look at the lake! See the cave there! That cave led from the peak through bear country! Another neat fact is that the lake used to have a bunch of animitronic bears in the lake and around the sides of the cave. The other side of the cave is also there. Look for another cave right next to the road! This one is boarded up. If you look on the ground you will also see the original tracks from the ride.

bradk
07-20-2006, 08:28 PM
there's a TON of stuff from the old mine train attraction laying around.

that lake is where the jumping fish are (when they actually jump), which is usually noted as the main tip o' the hat to the attraction.

also, while on the mark twain / columbia, there's a few items. (oops! just re-read Andrew's answer)

i have some photos. this will encourage me to post the Frontierland stuff.

Opus1guy
07-20-2006, 08:32 PM
As of a short while ago at least, the little automated "jumping fishes" were still making their little leaps in that old Nature's Wonderland pond too. These were the same fish that the bears in the water were trying to catch back on the old attraction.

They could still be there doing their thing. Last time I looked not too long ago, they were. Stand by the rail and watch the water very carefully and you may spot them.

More Ooops. Posting the same time as bradk there.

bradk
07-21-2006, 01:05 PM
so here are a few of my shots of some of the aforementioned examples. sadly, no fish since they never jumped for me:

engine/cars on ROA (taken while on the columbia): http://bradk.smugmug.com/gallery/1465116/35/82960531

from mark twain pilot house: http://bradk.smugmug.com/gallery/1465116/36/82968307

koi pond with non-jumping fish:
http://bradk.smugmug.com/gallery/1465116/37/82964489

boarded up mine/tunnel:
http://bradk.smugmug.com/gallery/1465116/37/82964761

JookyG
07-21-2006, 01:16 PM
I think it's really cool that Disneyland is so old and has so much history that there are ruins inside the park. It's great the way some of these are turned into theming for current attractions, like BTMRR. It's sad when they just sit there and crumble, like the Peoplemover track.

Werner
07-21-2006, 07:39 PM
so here are a few of my shots of some of the aforementioned examples. sadly, no fish since they never jumped for me:

Bradk-- nice photos! Thank you for sharing those with us. I especially like the shots of the abandoned mine tunnels, etc. I'm curious, what focal length lens are you using? Looks mighty wide. Adds an interesting perspective on things!

bradk
07-21-2006, 08:04 PM
i have 3 lenses.. 10-300, although there's the 1.6 factor. and thanks. i do try to avoid the WA effects sometimes (i.e., try to avoid shooting at 10/16), but what can ya do.

Doug
07-22-2006, 02:35 PM
bradk, I noticed in your orlando pics, looks like you had towels shaped into animals, did the hotel staff do this when they cleaned your room? I stayed at the pop as well, and I did not even notice half the giant icons you pics of, I stayed in the room just to the left of tramp ...

there's a TON of stuff from the old mine train attraction laying around.

that lake is where the jumping fish are (when they actually jump), which is usually noted as the main tip o' the hat to the attraction.

also, while on the mark twain / columbia, there's a few items. (oops! just re-read Andrew's answer)

i have some photos. this will encourage me to post the Frontierland stuff.

bradk
07-22-2006, 02:53 PM
i actually did get a towel animal, but i didn't post a photo of it.. the ones in my pics are from others' rooms as i walked around. towel animals are a rare treat that you can pretty much get at any resort. just gotta have the luck.

AaronInCal
07-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Some might remember that as little as a couple years ago, that tunnel across from the little pond used to have a trestle with tracks on it coming from the cave and a single mine car sitting on it. Then one of those bad winter storms we had 2 winters ago with lots of wind blew down a tree and took the mine car and trestle with it. It also took out part of the cave. Since then, after cleaning up the mess, they just covered the broken off part of the cave with camouflage and that is how it's been ever since. Hopefully one day they will rebuild the trestle and all.

Doug
07-22-2006, 10:21 PM
You know what... I think I have seen this... I will have to remember to look through my DLR pics, see if I can find it... or maybe someone can beat me to it (my file server is down now, so I can not browse through my pics...)

Some might remember that as little as a couple years ago, that tunnel across from the little pond used to have a trestle with tracks on it coming from the cave and a single mine car sitting on it. Then one of those bad winter storms we had 2 winters ago with lots of wind blew down a tree and took the mine car and trestle with it. It also took out part of the cave. Since then, after cleaning up the mess, they just covered the broken off part of the cave with camouflage and that is how it's been ever since. Hopefully one day they will rebuild the trestle and all.