PDA

View Full Version : Which dates in Dec or Jan (trip planning)

magicpointeshoe
07-19-2006, 10:35 AM
We were supposed to go mid-August to Disneyland but just found out our lease isn't being renewed. =o/ Moving comes first. So, we are rescheduling for Christmas break and I have to take in consideration my husband's school schedule. Finals end on December 22 and he goes back for Spring semester on January 29th.

Have I heard correctly that the week following New Years Day is better?

Edit to add: I found the thread where it says Christmas stuff is taken down starting the 1st or 2nd. When would small world shut down?

annieb727
07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
As far as crowds go...January is better. As far as all the fun Christmas fanfare...December is better...

I have been once in December, and I loved it. Crowds weren't too bad (but that was EARLY decmeber...MY choice would be January

kandyk
07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
If you want the Christmas experience go in Dec. but be prepared for crowds. We were there last year from Dec. 17-21 and the parks were packed!!! If you decide to wait until Jan. I would wait at least 1 week after New Years. It should have quieted down by then since most kids will be back in school.

pisces
07-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Don't forget to factor in rain.

Rain has been an issue during the week of Christmas/New Years for the past 2, 3? years.

Sometimes rain thins the crowds, but not always, ....during that week.

And, rain/winds can cancel out favorite shows. Kind of a hit or miss, on that.

Going by last year: They started taking down Christmas stuff Monday Jan 2. I think there's a thread titled "Disorganized Disney" from last January, that might be very instructive.

I was there on Monday, Jan 2, 2006, and it was not fun. Although, as I've said above, it rained that day, so that might have hastened the end to the holiday festivities a bit.

disneyhound
07-19-2006, 05:07 PM
We shoot for the second-third week in January! Most kids are back in school, so the crowds are not so bad. A little rain is no big deal, we get 100" a year up here! We try to avoid MLK three day weekend, crowds tend to pick up again on that weekend. It is a great time to hit DL.

rentayenta
07-19-2006, 06:56 PM
I would go in December. The park during the holidays is amazing.

jenmclions
07-19-2006, 06:59 PM
We were there last Dec/Jan and found that the weather was okay, we only had one night of rain during a parade and very little during the day. It was mostly overcast and not very warm so rug up of a night.

We found the crowds heavy but managable, just remember to get there before the park opens and do what you can before 11 when you will notice a big increase in the crowds and queues for the rides. After that we usually did some shopping, went across to DCA, DTD or other activities.