PDA

View Full Version : Gay Days [crowds?]

doombuggy driver
07-18-2006, 09:57 AM
We are planning a trip from Oct 7-10 not only are we there for Columbus day :( but also for gay days. Does anyone know how crowded Gay Days will be?
Thanks

Kimlk32
07-18-2006, 10:05 AM
We were their last year when they had gaydays and it really didn't matter so much concerning crowds, so I'd relax you should be fine. Have a great time, our next trip is not until next spring or summer:(

stan4d_steph
07-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Columbus Day weekend has been surprisingly busy in the past few years.

doombuggy driver
07-18-2006, 12:37 PM
We are prepared for Columbus day, planning on going to DCA, but we want to know about the 6th-8th Gay Days.

charpaul
07-18-2006, 01:05 PM
About Gay Days -

Friday the 6th is not a big "park day"
There is a kick off event at one of the hotels that night - a dance party actually. Anyone arriving early that day that already has an AP might come to the park the afternoon/evening. People that are buying tickets for the weekend will probably not be coming to the park this day. They will save their two-day hoppers for Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday the 7th is the biggest park day. It is supposed to be a Disneyland day with several meetings planned through the day in that park at various locations. Once again there will be another dance party that night, so MANY of guys and gals will be heading to that in the evening (not all - but MANY!)
If you are really worried about crowds that day - make this your mostly DCA day. OR - get to Disneyland early - like it was any normal, summer, high season day - and do as much as you can before the crowds start to build. Be sure to take advantage of any fast passes that you can (Mansion should have theirs available then to use on the Haunted Mansion Holiday) to use later in the day.

Sunday the 8th is not as well attended as Saturday. It is supposed to be a DCA day with several meetings planned that day for DCA. This would be a good day to go to the Disneyland side of the resort.

The Gay Day crowd usually makes it seem as busy as a regular summer day all weekend. In addition to that, you have the Columbus Day crowd to factor in..... It should be busy that weekend, but not impossible to have a good time.:)

annieb727
07-18-2006, 01:06 PM
from what i understand - Saturday the 7th is the day they'll be at DL and then Sunday the 8th they'll be at DCA - so if you want to avoid the crowd there I'd just go to the opposite park.

PennyLane
07-18-2006, 01:17 PM
I thought it was pretty busy when I was there last year. Not so much during the day, but at night the crowds really picked up.

Have fun!

blewellen
07-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Also, Children's Hospital of Orange County (CHOC) will have their Walk in the Park at Disneyland, October 8th this year. I will be there!

charpaul
07-18-2006, 01:36 PM
Both groups use the First Weekend IN October for their event.
CHOC Walk has been held on the Sunday morning of GayDays Weekend for several years now. Most of the CHOC Walk crowd does not go to the park that day. They get there VERY early in the morning - do the walk and most head home.

disneyhound
07-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Why should Gay Days be limited to only three days a year? I mean really. We go at least five days every year! We always feel gay; we're thrilled right down to our toes, elated, happy, warm and fuzzy; you know Gay!

Everybody sing; "We feel Happy, Oh so Happy, We feel Happy and Sappy and Gay..."

What, what, oh, ooohhh, you mean gay, as in... Hmmmm, well, no worries, whatever floats your boat! :p

Rockchalker
07-18-2006, 07:31 PM
We were their last year when they had gaydays and it really didn't matter so much concerning crowds, :(

I would disagree. We were also there last year and it was crowded. I don't think many of those wearing red shirts got the memo that DL was Saturday and DCA was Sunday as DL parks was pretty busy both days. There was also another group of "shirted" people that were in DL on Sunday. So it was grin and bare it....

sambo
07-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Crowded by comparison? The Saturday of Gay Days last October was probably the most crowded in that week. The following Saturday (not a Gay Day) was very nearly as crowded. Not much of a noticeable difference though. Except that you could get on a DDR machine in the Starcade with no wait...;)

stan4d_steph
07-20-2006, 05:26 AM
As noted above, this year's convergence of CHOC Walk, Gay Days and Columbus Day weekend should make for higher crowds than you'd expect in October.

doombuggy driver
07-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Whose idea is it to plan 3 major things the same weekend? I know Columbus day is not planned by Disney, but what about the other events?

I am really nervous now and don't know if I can change my vacation.

annieb727
07-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Whose idea is it to plan 3 major things the same weekend? I know Columbus day is not planned by Disney, but what about the other events?

I am really nervous now and don't know if I can change my vacation.

yeah...i was thinking the same thing - at least it's only going to be the beginning of my 8 day trip on October...

cstephens
07-20-2006, 10:33 PM

I don't know if the CHOC walk is at the same general time every year, but I would figure CHOC has a say in when that is. As for Gay Days, that's not an official Disney event. It's an outside group who designates those days, so Disney has no control over that, just like it has no control over when Bat Day is or any other non-Disney-organized "let's all meet at the park on this day" event.

rosie
07-20-2006, 10:35 PM
Why should Gay Days be limited to only three days a year? I mean really. We go at least five days every year! We always feel gay; we're thrilled right down to our toes, elated, happy, warm and fuzzy; you know Gay!

Everybody sing; "We feel Happy, Oh so Happy, We feel Happy and Sappy and Gay..."

What, what, oh, ooohhh, you mean gay, as in... Hmmmm, well, no worries, whatever floats your boat! :p
hahahahahahha
love it! love it! Count me in..."we feel happy.....

charpaul
07-21-2006, 09:50 AM
CHOC Walk and Gay Days always pick the first weekend in Oct. for their events. CHOC Walk is on Sunday morning (Oct. 8th) EARLY - parking is open at 5:00AM - the walk starts officially at 7:30 AM.
Disneyland opens at 9:00AM that day.
It has been this way for several years now. The CHOC Walk event really does not impact much on the park attendance at all. The walk is held in the early morning hours BEFORE Disneyland opens. They walk through Disneyland and then through DCA. When the gates to Disneyland opened on Sunday morning last year, the last of the walkers were still finishing up coming out through DCA. AND THEN.... most of the CHOC Walk people go home.

They were there for the walk, and the walk does not include admission to the park. Some will go to Disneyland that day (if they have an AP or tickets) - but it never seems to be that many. An army of people participates in the walk and you only see a few shirts from the walk in Disneyland on that day.

doombuggy driver
07-22-2006, 11:00 AM
CHOC Walk and Gay Days always pick the first weekend in Oct. for their events. CHOC Walk is on Sunday morning (Oct. 8th) EARLY - parking is open at 5:00AM - the walk starts officially at 7:30 AM.
Disneyland opens at 9:00AM that day.
It has been this way for several years now. The CHOC Walk event really does not impact much on the park attendance at all. The walk is held in the early morning hours BEFORE Disneyland opens. They walk through Disneyland and then through DCA. When the gates to Disneyland opened on Sunday morning last year, the last of the walkers were still finishing up coming out through DCA. AND THEN.... most of the CHOC Walk people go home.

They were there for the walk, and the walk does not include admission to the park. Some will go to Disneyland that day (if they have an AP or tickets) - but it never seems to be that many. An army of people participates in the walk and you only see a few shirts from the walk in Disneyland on that day.

Thanks for the advice!

SeansMom
07-22-2006, 12:01 PM

Now I have that tune stuck in my head...we feel happy, oh so happy...