PDA

View Full Version : Scary Rides - Grizzly River Run

Pages : [1] 2

MakeItBlue
07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
I havent been to DL in over 20 years and we leave Wed and I'm soo excited. I need to know what the Grizzly River Run is like - I don't do scary rides very well however when I was a little girl I managed the Matterhorn and thought it was sort of fun but it took years to get the nerve. Seriously my idea of the park is Peter Pan! I wont do Tower of Terror nor any roller coaster type things but if you could weigh in on what to definitely avoid I'd appreciate it. I hear space mountain is really scary at least it was at DW - I didn't go but heard it was. Thank you all who are able to comment and reply!

Bolivar
07-17-2006, 07:32 PM
My nine-year-old daughter is a afraid of all the rides. She did Matterhorn once and won't do it again, she wouldn't even consider Tower of Terror or Space Mountain, but she loves Grizzly River Run.

Is what scares her the same thing that scares you? I don't know, but that is one data point.

DianeM
07-17-2006, 07:44 PM
It's like white water rafting, without the effort or risk of being thrown out or scary rapids. You basically float along in a circular raft, being carried by the water, spinning a bit with the water, and getting very, VERY, wet. There are a few dips, about the height of POTC's waterfall, I think (although I can't say for sure, the fall may be a bit more - it's nothing like Splash Mountain). I don't find Grizzley even a bit scary. When we have my 5 yo nephew at DL last year, he got very frightened on Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, and Matterhorn, but loved Splash Mountain and made us go on Grizzley twice in a row.

I havent been to DL in over 20 years and we leave Wed and I'm soo excited. I need to know what the Grizzly River Run is like -

Benihodge
07-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Grizzly River Run is a pretty easy going river. Now the only thing you might not like is the two or three drops it has.

There's probably a video of it on google video, then you could see what its like. And I also just found a video of it on VisionsFantastic.com.

Susan L
07-17-2006, 07:53 PM
If you can handle the Matterhorn you will definately be able to handle Grizzly. You will get wet. My son, who won't go on any of the roller coasters because he gets motion sickness loves this ride.

MrsG
07-17-2006, 07:54 PM
I don't do any of the "scary" rides either (ToT, Screamin', Space Mtn), but I love GRR. There is the one biggish drop but it is over before you know it. My advice, is do it. You will be soaked!

taingirlsmom
07-17-2006, 10:33 PM
I also hate the big rides (Splash, TOT, etc) but I love Grizzley. It is fun going through the water and the drop is nothing. I feels just like Pirates except you're so busy getting wet that you barely notice it.

disneyballerina
07-17-2006, 10:57 PM
It's a really easy ride -- but be prepared to be soaking wet -- as in shoes-squishy wet. Not one bit scary. Drops are, as has been said, about like Pirates. You will be so busy laughing at how funny everyone looks getting wet that you won't even think about it being scary. :D

Drince88
07-18-2006, 03:26 AM
I hear space mountain is really scary at least it was at DW - I didn't go but heard it was. Thank you all who are able to comment and reply!
Did you go on Kali River Rapids when you were at WDW? (It's in the Animal Kingdom.) If so, Grizzly River Rapids is similar. The drop might be a little bit more, but not significantly.

MakeItBlue
07-18-2006, 03:42 AM
the last time I was at WDW was in 2002 and didn't make it to the new Animal park we were there for three days ..but did do the MGM theme park and the other newer park with all the really big scary rides and I basically "held the purses" as they say..I just looked up and knew they werent for me..

now I am soo excited about the Grizzly runafter everyone's post. that sounds totally like my speed - not sure I will even do the matterhorn again it's been 20years! I'm just so excited to be able to go again - splash mountain not sure will have to check it out further...thanks again.

stan4d_steph
07-18-2006, 05:47 AM
MakeItBlue, you can get information on all the attractions in MousePlanet's Disneyland Park Guide, located here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide.php?pg=A00000). :)

OregonBoy1963
07-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I really like GRR... one of the things I think is great is that it actually gives you a chance to talk to other people on the ride--we've met people from Australia, Germany, and all over the U.S.

Seeing other people's expressions and having fun makes it a bit less scary, too.

jazzysmom
07-18-2006, 10:04 AM
To me, GRR is a guarenteed giggle ride. I think you will enjoy it.

kiowa
07-18-2006, 12:40 PM
I don't understand what a "scary" ride is, how can a ride be scary? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I just go on every ride. They're fun, isn't that what they are suppose to be?

RockDoc07
07-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Kiowa- To answer your question first, some people find the environment or the situation of the ride scary and the prospect of such things can cause anxiety, discomfort, etc. Some people don't like heights and get very nervous around them and thus, something like ToT or some very high roller coasters might be very "scary" If someone doesn't like the dark, something as tame as say Peter Pan or Snow White could be terrifying. Etc etc. That's what makes a ride scary. Some people will start hyperventillating going up a lift hill just because they don't like the feeling of the impending trip down.

Now blue- Your question. As a general thing there are some rides I don't care for too much (rides with big drops for example). But I will say this, my fiancee and I went on this one and I was so mad that we didn't do it again and again. We both agreed it was one of the most fun amusement park rides we had been on anywhere, ever. It's definitely my favorite ride at DCA. There are two drops of any significance. They are both not as tall as drops on any rides (about half the height of the drop on Splash Mountain) and the other thing is that believe it or not you don't feel like you're dropping because as you do your raft spins and so the motions are almost offsetting each other. This ride is an absolute pleasure!! You might have that one second or two of discomfort if you really don't like drops AT ALL but the rest of the ride you will be giggling and laughing so much and getting wet that it will make up for it. That's just my $0.02. Also, there are 8 seats in the raft. I will say that if you are in a full boat and all the people in the boat are adults, there is a chance you might not get as wet as some of the other riders. The boats are arranged so that there are 4 seats on each side with an opening in the middle at each end for riders to exit from. I will say that I was in the middle and we were all 8 of us adults and thus packed in there pretty tight. The 4 people on the ends got drenched because water was pouring into the boat a lot, especially halfway through the ride and at the end. The 4 of us in the middle definitely got wet, but not "drenched" as some books and signs warne.d THis also might speak to the individuality of each time you ride. That has nothing to do with whether or not the ride is scary, just giving commentary! A definite ride!! Enjoy!

I hope this helps!

Cool Runnings
Doc

Doofy
07-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I just wanted to let you know that I love this ride. It is the best rapids ride I have ever been on. My wife doesn't care for it just because of how wet you can get, but the last time I rode I came off close to dry.

Frogberto
07-18-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't understand what a "scary" ride is, how can a ride be scary? Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I just go on every ride. They're fun, isn't that what they are suppose to be?

Are you serious? You were never scared of anything as a child? Some people are scared of heights, some people are scared of the dark, small children are famously scared of the Snow White ride, believe it or not, and people of all ages are scared of large drops, i.e., Splash Mountain, etc.

I remember being so scared when Space Mountain came out, that I went through the line three times, with friends, and then used the "chicken exit" at the very end of the ride. Terrified. Now it's my favorite ride.

Malcon10t
07-18-2006, 02:51 PM
Are you serious? You were never scared of anything as a child? Some people are scared of heights, some people are scared of the dark, small children are famously scared of the Snow White ride, believe it or not, and people of all ages are scared of large drops, i.e., Splash Mountain, etc.

I remember being so scared when Space Mountain came out, that I went through the line three times, with friends, and then used the "chicken exit" at the very end of the ride. Terrified. Now it's my favorite ride.
My daughter was like this. Until she was 14 I think. She always would walk with us, then cross over and wait til we exited. At 14, she wanted to stay in the park with 15yo brother. Problem was, he liked doing the fast rides. And TOT just opened. She refused to ride and he wanted to do circles riding it. He talked and talked and talked, and she refused. He called everyone trying to find someway to talk her into riding. Finally, he promised her a Jamba Juice from DTD and she caved a little. He got her in line and to the front, then somehow got her on the ride. When they came back to the hotel, we were shocked to see she had over 10 "I Took the Dare" stickers they were giving out when you rode it after it opened. And after that, there was no stopping her. I lost my parade watching partner to the fast rides.

LLevy
07-18-2006, 03:09 PM
well- I've been scared of the raft ride after viewing a tv show about deaths on rides.. this WASN"T at disneyland, but they showed the deaths that occured on a similar raft ride where the raft flipped, and people were killed.. sorry - that's what scares me about any sort of "thrill" ride. that fact that people die due to human error..

I can die on the road every day due to human error. I don't want to increase my odds by riding something that when it goes wrong- it goes VERY wrong

LL

Bolivar
07-18-2006, 03:25 PM
You are orders of magnitude more likely to be injured driving than you are on a ride. But in a car you feel like you are in control, but you give up that control when boarding a ride and that is what you have an issue with -- at least that is what I theorize with my armchair psychology.

I Heart Disneyland!
07-18-2006, 04:27 PM
I won't go on TOT, but, do go on this. The downside is you WILL get wet and may get soaked. It's a lot of fun, twirling around, but, the water is rolling all over the place and you could end up being soaked. That, for me, is the worst part. Do it early in the day, when the sun can dry you off. :) Have fun!

Susan L
07-18-2006, 04:31 PM

Give me a roller coaster any day and I am as happy as can be. Rides like TOT, the Maliboomer or just an ordinary elevator and they freak me out :eek: TOT is my ultimate fear of elevators come true :eek: Yes, I tried it and I will never go on it again.

disneyballerina
07-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Give me a roller coaster any day and I am as happy as can be. Rides like TOT, the Maliboomer or just an ordinary elevator and they freak me out :eek: TOT is my ultimate fear of elevators come true :eek: Yes, I tried it and I will never go on it again.

Hey, me too! I don't know how it started; I have never been stuck in an elevator ar anything like that, ever. But I have had variations of the same nightmare for many years, being trapped in a runaway elevator. Anyone know how to interpret dreams? :p

I have been on ToT twice. The first time my heart was racing so fast when I got off! I was scared beyond reason and I said I would never go again. My son who just turned 6 and is pretty thin, hated the ride. He was plenty tall enough, but because he was skinny, his legs flew up so high with every drop that he was scared to death. So you might be wondering what got me back on for the second time -- it was my darling daughter. She looked at me so sweetly and asked me to please, please go with her. How could I say no? :rolleyes: It wasn't that bad the second time, actually. I was proud of myself for facing my fears. :D

Maus
07-18-2006, 07:03 PM
I love GRR but I can't go on it. The rapids are great. The getting completely soaked is great. However at the end of the ride the rafts spin all the way to the dock and I get terribly seasick. Am I the only one this happens to? :(

wingsong
07-18-2006, 09:11 PM
No, the spinning makes me sick too.:mad: