PDA

View Full Version : Question about parking for Disney's Grand Californian Hotel

sajack
07-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone, Happy Saturday!

We're heading to DGC tomorrow and this will be our first time at this hotel. Can you tell me where the parking is for this one. We always stay at the Disneyland Hotel but figured we'd try it out b/c we got that $219 rate.

Thanks!

stan4d_steph
07-15-2006, 06:09 PM
I would recommend the valet parking. Just pull up in front of the hotel and they will park your car for you.

DangerMouse
07-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Just be aware that they charge a $12 per day valet parking fee. There is self-park across the street. The valets at the GC will show you where it is if you ask.

pisces
07-17-2006, 10:45 AM
If you are staying at the GCH, there is an automatic parking fee tacked onto your bill, regardless of whether you use the valet or self-park.

It's already included in the cost of staying at the GCH.

You might as well utilize the Valet; however, you still have to give a nice tip to them :rolleyes: .

DangerMouse
07-17-2006, 11:01 AM
If you are staying at the GCH, there is an automatic parking fee tacked onto your bill, regardless of whether you use the valet or self-park.

It's already included in the cost of staying at the GCH.

You might as well utilize the Valet; however, you still have to give a nice tip to them :rolleyes: .

Not true, I stayed at the GCH last year and arrived in a taxi. I didn't have to pay a parking fee. I did have the standard resort charge, if that's what you are talking about. The resort fee includes newspaper, wi-fi connection and use of work-out facility. I understand that there is a $12 extra valet charge if you chose to not self-park, this will be charged in addition to the standard resort fee.

going2disneyAZ
07-17-2006, 12:03 PM
Not true, I stayed at the GCH last year and arrived in a taxi. I didn't have to pay a parking fee. I did have the standard resort charge, if that's what you are talking about. The resort fee includes newspaper, wi-fi connection and use of work-out facility. I understand that there is a $12 extra valet charge if you chose to not self-park, this will be charged in addition to the standard resort fee.

yep, that's how it was last Nov when i was there.

pisces
07-17-2006, 12:50 PM

That hasn't been my experience.

With me, they've always just added on parking onto my bill automatically.

And, yes, it's definitely separate from the newspaper/resort fee.

I'm just saying, you would have to actively tell them to take it off your bill, if you didn't want it, because I'm pretty sure it's automatic--and they just assume everyone wants parking.

That's been my experience----an automatic charge.

I've actually meandered over to the self-parking lot, and everytime I've taken a gander over there.....that lot has been completely filled.

I don't think they guarantee a space at self-parking if the lot is completely filled up.

Also, I don't know who parks in that lot...if it's just guests, or if it's visitors too etc... or how they enforce that.

DangerMouse
07-17-2006, 01:23 PM
That hasn't been my experience.

With me, they've always just added on parking onto my bill automatically.

And, yes, it's definitely separate from the newspaper/resort fee.

I'm just saying, you would have to actively tell them to take it off your bill, if you didn't want it, because I'm pretty sure it's automatic--and they just assume everyone wants parking.

That's been my experience----an automatic charge.

I've actually meandered over to the self-parking lot, and everytime I've taken a gander over there.....that lot has been completely filled.

I don't think they guarantee a space at self-parking if the lot is completely filled up.

Also, I don't know who parks in that lot...if it's just guests, or if it's visitors too etc... or how they enforce that.

Well, not my experience, or many others who have posted on tripadvisor.com, or many travel websites that show it as an additional charge if valet is used.

Are you saying you allow them to charge you a parking fee when you haven't even parked a car there? Well, then you are exactly the kind of guest they want. The $11 "resort fee" is ridiculous enough, but at least I have a newspaper to show for it. :p

pisces
07-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Well, not my experience, or many others who have posted on tripadvisor.com, or many travel websites that show it as an additional charge if valet is used.

Are you saying you allow them to charge you a parking fee when you haven't even parked a car there? Well, then you are exactly the kind of guest they want. The $11 "resort fee" is ridiculous enough, but at least I have a newspaper to show for it. :p

Since when does a newspaper cost $11.00 ???? Huh?

Look, the whole thing is expensive.

The whole kitten-kaboodle.

GCH--from parking to lodging to whatever else...you know when you set foot in that hotel....and certainly as a guest, it is gonna cost you a hysterical-ridiculous amount of money.

Why should parking fees be any different?

They getcha every other way...

soo.....

But, I really liked knowing I'd have a guaranteed space.

When I arrived on Dec. 27...at 1:00 pm...do you honestly think, on that particular crazy day (The park shut down at 10:00 am)......you think I was gonna find parking in the self-parking lot ??????

stan4d_steph
07-17-2006, 01:33 PM
Self-parking is included in the resort fee for guests of the GCH.

pisces
07-17-2006, 01:40 PM
And, if the lot is full,

...what then?

DangerMouse
07-17-2006, 02:38 PM
When I arrived on Dec. 27...at 1:00 pm...do you honestly think, on that particular crazy day (The park shut down at 10:00 am)......you think I was gonna find parking in the self-parking lot ??????

I don't care what you do, as long as you don't mislead the OP with incorrect information. I'm fairly certain the self-parking lot isn't always full. And to me, it's worth $12 per day (+tip) to check and see if it's full or not. :D

going2disneyAZ
07-17-2006, 03:26 PM
I don't care what you do, as long as you don't mislead the OP with incorrect information. I'm fairly certain the self-parking lot isn't always full. And to me, it's worth $12 per day (+tip) to check and see if it's full or not. :D

Last thanksgiving we were in and out all week and always found self parking spots....

evrythngwmn
07-17-2006, 11:29 PM
And, if the lot is full,

...what then?

The overflow goes to the Paradise Pier Hotel structure.

MickeyMommy
07-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Just to clarify, the resort fee is charged to everyone, whether or not they have a car. Valet parking is an additional fee on top of the resort fee. So if you valet parked, you would be paying the resort fee PLUS the $12/day valet chrage.

But if you have a fancy car, you may want to valet park. My brothers expensive SUV was stolen out of the self parking lot of the Paradise Pier Hotel last month. :crying:

BTMichael
07-18-2006, 04:48 PM
The overflow goes to the Paradise Pier Hotel structure.
Too bad you can't park there to begin with. The extra walking distance would be would the price to have our car in covered parking. That was one of the things we liked when we stayed at the Paradise Pier (the last few years when it was still known as the Disneyland Pacific Hotel).

sajack
07-19-2006, 05:59 AM
Thanks for all the replies. We were just staying the one night so we did the valet. I just didn't want to mess with it. The nice man at the desk informed me that it would just show up on my bill as the extra $12. We didn't have any problems and we thought it was a nice hotel. We still prefer the Disneyland Hotel but I'd stay here again with AP rates. This time we got a resort view for $219.

Thanks again!

Leash81
07-19-2006, 11:30 AM
When I stayed at the GCH last July we didn't get charged for valet and we were there for 6 days. I did make sure to check the bill but there were no extra charges on there at all.
Not saying this is the norm but it is what I experienced. We were staying on the concierge level so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. :confused:

pisces
07-19-2006, 05:13 PM
"But if you have a fancy car, you may want to valet park. My brothers expensive SUV was stolen out of the self parking lot of the Paradise Pier Hotel last month."---Mommy

Wow! And, I would have thought Paradise Pier would be somewhat secure, with security keeping an eye on things. Just eyeballing it, GC's self-parking didn't look to be as safe and secure as Paradise Pier's.

I guess it could happen anywhere, though.

Plus, I don't think they're liable for any damages, theft, dents, or whatever....I believe they have all kinds of disclaimers.

Sigh.

Bad stuff can happen with the Valet too, and they probably aren't liable either.

I try not to think about it---theft etc. With me, I just like knowing I have a guaranteed space and not have to drive around endlessly searching.

pisces
07-19-2006, 05:21 PM

It probably isn't "always" full, especially if you get there before 8-9ish, or maybe even earlier. But anyone getting there after 10, after 12, on a busy day......your chances are reduced in finding anything.

I don't think that's misleading anyone.

It's first come, first serve.

Usually, ---not always--- but usually, when the Mickey & Friends lot is full, it's a good bet the GC lot will be full too.

tonytone
07-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Stupid question, but if one chooses to use valet parking at GCH, is/should one tip the valet on top of the $12/day valet parking fee...and if tipping the valet, tip him/her both at drop-off and pick-up? The DLR website states that self-parking is $10/day and valet $12/day; is the $10/day self-parking (and valet parking fee, if one elects to use that instead of self-parking) fee included or in addition to the resort fee?

geoffa
07-24-2006, 09:57 AM
I think you'll find that the valet parking fee includes insurance so that if any damage is caused you would make a claim accordingly. For $12 a day it's peace of mind and you don't have the drag of trying to find a space. When you need your car you just let the valet parking stand know a few minutes beforehand by phone. You only need tip the valet guys when you pick up your car and the valet fee isn't charged "automatically". It's added to your bill once you have requested valet parking - at least that's how it worked for us.
As for cars being stolen from the self park you can't rely on manufacturer's security systems despite the thousands you paid for the vehicle. Get extra protection such as an additional steering wheel lock. Just because its Disney doesn't mean there aren't opportunist thieves.

infinite
07-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Our vehicle was damaged while in valet parking at the Grand Californian, not only did Disney pay for the repair, but they gave us two free park hoper vouchers.

pisces
07-24-2006, 02:21 PM
I think it may have to do with whether you are out-of-state or not, as to whether or not it's automatic on your bill.

I'm in-State, and fairly local, so perhaps they just assume locals have their own cars and want parking. ????

pisces
07-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Our vehicle was damaged while in valet parking at the Grand Californian, not only did Disney pay for the repair, but they gave us two free park hoper vouchers.

That was nice, but........

I really think they have limited liability for damages.

A car is never the same once it's damaged, I've found, no matter how good the repair.

But still, at least they did something. They did more than most places, probably.