PDA

View Full Version : Handicapped/wheelchair bound at DLR?

Shootingstaar
07-15-2006, 02:35 PM
My brother was paralyzed from the waste down this past new years eve. He can move his legs quite a bit but can't put his weight on them. He hasn't gone anywhere big-scale like Disneyland since this happened, and I really want to plan a trip to Disneyland and California Adventure for the whole family, but I don't want my brother to feel limited himself or like he is limiting us (it's been a relatively short time since his accident, he still gets very frustrated and has not completely come to terms with his disability). I have checked the ride accomodations and saw that most of the rides don't require him to be amulatory, but how does the wheelchair transfer work? He is good with transfering from wheelchair to seat when the wheelchair is right up against the seat, but if its a few feet away it would cause a problem (he's 6'4" so even with others helping him it's very awkward). Does anyone have experience with this? I can see him getting frustrated and don't know if it would be better to wait until he is more confortable with his handicap.

MammaSilva
07-15-2006, 02:40 PM
It depends on the actual ride to know what you can expect, on Haunted Mansion they have special doom buggies that you can roll his chair right up and the transfer is pretty smooth, ON space they even have a transfer board so that he can transfer, not to mention the new and HUGE improvement of the side track where he has as much time as he needs to load/unload....Some of the attractions have special vehicles that he doesn't have to transfer at all, Buzz, The many adventures of pooh...there are special boats on iasw and jungle cruise but those are really not out in the rotation as often as they should be IMHO. The trains all have a HCA car and all the stations except Main street now have great access with a ramp/load platform.

If you have a list of specific attractions he'd want to experience, post them, there are several of us here with a lot of experience with wheelchair transfers and we're all glad to share what we can to make the trip a great time for your entire family.

Malcon10t
07-16-2006, 05:00 PM
My brother was paralyzed from the waste down this past new years eve. He can move his legs quite a bit but can't put his weight on them. He hasn't gone anywhere big-scale like Disneyland since this happened, and I really want to plan a trip to Disneyland and California Adventure for the whole family, but I don't want my brother to feel limited himself or like he is limiting us (it's been a relatively short time since his accident, he still gets very frustrated and has not completely come to terms with his disability). I have checked the ride accomodations and saw that most of the rides don't require him to be amulatory, but how does the wheelchair transfer work? He is good with transfering from wheelchair to seat when the wheelchair is right up against the seat, but if its a few feet away it would cause a problem (he's 6'4" so even with others helping him it's very awkward). Does anyone have experience with this? I can see him getting frustrated and don't know if it would be better to wait until he is more confortable with his handicap.We recently travelled with a young man with similar limitations. A few rides have easier access, such as Haunted Mansion and Space. Others while he doesn't have to be ambulatory, you will have to move him (such as POTC.) A small reminder, CMs cannot assist you with loading or unloading. The most they are allowed to do is move the chair when you tell them it's ok.