PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Annual Passes

jazzysmom
07-13-2006, 06:52 AM
The next time we go...whenever it will actually be...sigh...we plan to upgrade to an annual pass.

So my question is, what day of your stay should you do this? You know how the packages usually come with early entries etc? So if I upgrade the first day, do I lose those?

Can someone please also explain to me how this all works, money-wise etc? I hope this question makes sense. It is too early in the morning for me to be formulating questions!:D

Monte Cristo
07-13-2006, 07:21 AM
The next time we go...whenever it will actually be...sigh...we plan to upgrade to an annual pass.

So my question is, what day of your stay should you do this? You know how the packages usually come with early entries etc? So if I upgrade the first day, do I lose those?

Can someone please also explain to me how this all works, money-wise etc? I hope this question makes sense. It is too early in the morning for me to be formulating questions!:D

You should upgrade the last day of your stay. This way you won't lose the early entry stuff. The way it works is simple - just go to City Hall and upgrade there. What's neat is you'll only be charged the difference between what your park hopper cost and the price of the new AP, even though you're a few days into it. That's exactly what my wife and I did last year and having an AP was definitely worth the money.

annieb727
07-13-2006, 08:17 AM
this is what we did...our first day we got there after early entry, on our second day we did early entry and at the end of the day there was no line in the pass office...so we upgraded. we had used the early entry and we wanted to save the 10% on all of our meals. If you have AAA membership, you can get the discount too, so upgrading earlier isn't as big of a deal.

now, if you have a package thru AAA and are staying on property then DEFINITELY wait. since then you'd have the enchanted FP and you don't want to lose that.

Also, make sure to check black out dates BEFORE you upgrade...we got the Deluxe Pass and were there in October, so it wasn't an issue. But if you're going to be there on a black out day for the pass you're getting, make sure to upgrade AFTER that.

Just some things to consider!!

hlbtimes2
07-13-2006, 10:36 AM
You should upgrade after you use EE and have gotten past any black out days in your trip. You can upgrade on a black out day, and get in that day. However, keep your receipt with you. You may have a hard time getting in the gates ( when hopping or returnging after a break) with a new ap on a black out day. I had one cm that was great, and one that was a pain and needed to see my receipt. Your ap will be back dated to the first day you used your hopper.

Smeecanada
07-13-2006, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=annieb727]entry and we wanted to save the 10% on all of our meals. If you have AAA membership, you can get the discount too, so upgrading earlier isn't as big of a deal.

But isn't the 10% discount only apply to Goofy's Kitchen in regards to AAA membership?

rentayenta
07-13-2006, 11:30 AM
If you are staying on Disney property you can upgrade immediately because Disney hotel guests get EE everyday that it's offered.

Darkbeer
07-13-2006, 11:32 AM
If you are staying on Disney property you can upgrade immediately because Disney hotel guests get EE everyday that it's offered.

Be careful that there are NO blockout days during your visit, and that you don't have the Enhanced FP feature from AAA. You don't want to upgrade until the last day if that is true, even if you are staying at a Disney owned hotel.

bellbell
07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Did anybody upgrade from So Cal City pass to annual passport this year? I would like to do so during next trip later August but would like to know how much we need to pay.

Thanks!

MrJims
07-13-2006, 12:32 PM
Related question: how does the annual pass actually work? (ie) if you buy one now, is it only good till the end of 2006, or do you get a full twelve months from date of purchase? I was just curious. I've always just bought 5 days park hoppers.

annieb727
07-13-2006, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=annieb727]entry and we wanted to save the 10% on all of our meals. If you have AAA membership, you can get the discount too, so upgrading earlier isn't as big of a deal.

But isn't the 10% discount only apply to Goofy's Kitchen in regards to AAA membership?

I've recieved AAA discounts at various other places...dh had all of our APs when I was purchasing our food...the lady at Plaza Inn saw my AAA card and said that she could use that for the same 10% discount. Normally I just showed my AP, but sometimes it was quicker to pull out my AAA card - and I do believe it worked everywhere I tried.

potterphreak
07-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Related question: how does the annual pass actually work? (ie) if you buy one now, is it only good till the end of 2006, or do you get a full twelve months from date of purchase? I was just curious. I've always just bought 5 days park hoppers.

You get a full 12 months. :-)

kiwifuz
07-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Did anybody upgrade from So Cal City pass to annual passport this year? I would like to do so during next trip later August but would like to know how much we need to pay.

Thanks!
Last Nov/Dec when we went our 3 day hoppers were actually "worth" $139 each, so that's the amount that applied toward APs. But, since then the price of the Citypass has gone up. Not sure if this is due to the addition of Universal in place of Knott's, or if you'd get any more value on the Disney hopper, but that's what it was with last year's Citypass.

rentayenta
07-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Be careful that there are NO blockout days during your visit, and that you don't have the Enhanced FP feature from AAA. You don't want to upgrade until the last day if that is true, even if you are staying at a Disney owned hotel.

Good point, I totally forgot about the blockout days.

autumnbottom
07-13-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm considering getting an annual pass but just had a thought...can you still use fast pass?

annieb727
07-13-2006, 03:07 PM
I'm considering getting an annual pass but just had a thought...can you still use fast pass?

YES!! Just not the "Enchanted" Fastpass offered in a AAA package

Frogberto
07-13-2006, 03:07 PM

Absolutely you can still use fast pass! The exception is if you have an "enhanced" fastpass (through AAA or booked through Disney Travel). If you enter with an annual pass, the enhanced fastpass features won't work.

momuvseven
07-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Yes, you still get fast passes with your AP. Works the same way except now you have a plastic card instead of paper. You can also get EE if you stay at the resort hotels on EE days.

If you need parking then only one person needs to add parking to their pass. Make it the person who is most likely to always be there with the kids.

One cool little thing is that you won't need handstamps anymore to re-enter the park.