PDA

View Full Version : Have to decide on dates ASAP

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-12-2006, 10:31 PM
We originally had our trip planned for December 4-9 but are thinking maybe December 11-16 would be better, thus putting us there during the less busy week days, and AFTER the CM parties and CP opening weekend. Who thinks this would be a better choice? Or should we keep the original dates?
Priority for us is being there when the park is less crowded. The kids are young, 4 and 3, so CP is not a huge necessity this trip, it can definetly wait until they are older. Also coming along on this trip with us is my dad, who hasn't been to DLR in 25 years, since we took my Gpa for the 25th birthday, and my stepmom, who hasn't been there in ages either. I want to get this decided so I can change dates, if necessary, with Willie at HoJo's and dad and stepmom can be sure to secure the correct dates off from work. TIA!

DangerMouse
07-13-2006, 06:12 AM
We had this same dilemma last year, and chose the later dates in December. I read many warnings on this site and others that it would be packed because some colleges were already out for Christmas break.

We felt very good about the decision. It was more crowded than some of our previous trips, but it wasn't packed by any means. I used ride plan and we didn't wait more than 15 minutes for any ride. I was very happy we avoided the CP crowds. I think in general, December is becoming a very busy month at DL.

Good luck with your decision. :D

MammaSilva
07-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Not knowing for sure which weekend Candlelight is I'd be more inclined to go with the 11th-16th. Having been during Candlelight, my experience is that it's as crowded as a summer weekend...just a consideration when planning the trip.

Mommy2NicknMax
07-13-2006, 09:01 AM
I'd go with the 11th -16th as well.

Niele
07-13-2006, 12:12 PM
So do you think that Dec. 18 - 23rd will be just bad or REALLY bad?

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-13-2006, 12:23 PM
So do you think that Dec. 18 - 23rd will be just bad or REALLY bad?
That is during Christmas break for almost all schools, I would say it would be REALLY bad. Sorry.

disney jones
07-13-2006, 01:14 PM
we've gone the week after Candlelight the last two years which is before school Christmas vacations - i think its a great time to go and will probably do the same again this year.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-13-2006, 01:26 PM
we've gone the week after Candlelight the last two years which is before school Christmas vacations - i think its a great time to go and will probably do the same again this year.
Did you notice the park closing really early, and it being busy due to CM parties?
I was thinking it might be ok to have DL close early, we could then go to DCA in the evenings, check out DTD etc.

Disney Vault
07-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I would go with the 11th - 16th for sure. This is the time I like to go and it isn't bad at all with crowds. I don't think there is any better time of the year to go.

THpoohbear
07-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Hi! Last year, I went on one of the CM party days to take a friend who hadn't been to Disneyland since she was a little girl. The only day she could go was this one, and to make matters worse, she couldn't leave until noon or so. So we had about 5 hours in the park. It was one of the most uncrowded days I've ever experienced. I think a lot of people stay away because of the reduced hours. We hit every major ride and many many smaller ones, almost everything was a complete walk on. Since your 4-9 dates only include one Sunday that might include the CP, I might be inclined to keep your regular dates. Although the park closed at six for the CM parties, they still did Remember right before closing. Also, for CP, I think most of the people that attend are locals AP's. Many come just for dinner and the show, I think. If you don't mind the reduced hours for the CM parties, I'd go with that and take the opportunity to do something else in the evening, eat dinner at downtown Disney, etc. But if you are really cringing at the shorter hours, go with the second set of dates.

THpoohbear
07-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Sorry, I mis read my calendar and see that you aren't arriving until Monday, and not on sunday. In that case, I think you'll miss the CP all together. As others have said, it's usually the first Sat. and Sun. of December. The CM parties might be the week that you go, but I still think that week is super uncrowded. The later you go in December, the more crowded it will be with schools letting out. :D

disney jones
07-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Did you notice the park closing really early, and it being busy due to CM parties?
I was thinking it might be ok to have DL close early, we could then go to DCA in the evenings, check out DTD etc.i think usually the CM parties are earlier in the week (M-T), and we always go W-F so we missed them.

vmjess
07-13-2006, 03:18 PM
I just booked a Family reunion trip - our first Chrstmas ever at Disneyland from Dec 17-21- Our park days are Mon, Tue, and Wed 12/18-20. Now I am afraid of monster crowds!!! We live in Northern CA and my kids winter break does not start until the 21st. I am hoping that by going on a mon tue and wed we are avoiding the HUGE crowds that will arrive Thur and Friday for actual Christmas Day at the park.

Oh well- I am not gonna stress- I am going to go with the mindset to enjoy the Christmas stuff we've never seen and not worry about riding every ride and seeing every show!!

THpoohbear
07-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Oh well- I am not gonna stress- I am going to go with the mindset to enjoy the Christmas stuff we've never seen and not worry about riding every ride and seeing every show!!

That's the disney spirit!!! You'll have a blast, especially if you've never seen the Christmas stuff before. I just love mainstreet in December! It's magical!

Wendi
07-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Personally, I'd do December 11-16. Our school's winter break starts the 16th... not sure about all of the year-round schools and all of those other schedules though. I'd rather have longer hours and no CP to deal with.

rosie
07-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Hi Mommy!
I, too, am planning a trip for December. My original dates were the 4th-9th, but now I'm not so sure. My time frame is flexible and I'm in no rush to decide. But I'm curious...what will you choose? I would like to avoid the crowds too. Does anyone know when the parks (roughly) close in December? And is it warm enough to swim???
Rosie

rentayenta
07-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Hi Mommy!
I, too, am planning a trip for December. My original dates were the 4th-9th, but now I'm not so sure. My time frame is flexible and I'm in no rush to decide. But I'm curious...what will you choose? I would like to avoid the crowds too. Does anyone know when the parks (roughly) close in December? And is it warm enough to swim???
Rosie

Last December the park closed at midnight and DCA closed at 9 pm. And it's warm enough to swim, for my kids anyway.

rosie
07-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Thank YOU!

WITron
07-13-2006, 09:29 PM
I have posted on this in other threads about the same issues. We were there last year for the CM parties and the parks were not crowded. The only time it got crowded wa at the end of the night, because everyone was herded down Main Street after the fireworks. Friday and Saturday of that week got really crowded.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-13-2006, 10:17 PM
Sorry, I mis read my calendar and see that you aren't arriving until Monday, and not on sunday. In that case, I think you'll miss the CP all together. As others have said, it's usually the first Sat. and Sun. of December. The CM parties might be the week that you go, but I still think that week is super uncrowded. The later you go in December, the more crowded it will be with schools letting out. :D
We get there on a Monday, usually don't go to the park that day, and then spend all day Tuesday-Friday. We stay a Friday night so we can see fireworks etc. We possibly would stay over Saturday night, but that will be a last minute decision.
I don't mind the park closing early, since I don't care too much to keep the kids up past their normal bedtime, between 7:30-8:00pm, I prefer the park to be less crowded.
I think we will keep our original dates. If we decide to stay over Saturday night, then we can see CP.
We will not be there for opening night of CP, no matter when we go, which is something I REALLY want to avoid.

kiwifuz
07-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Okay I'll add my 2cents. We were there the week following Thanksgiving last year and I didn't think it was that bad.

During the day we really didn't have much of a wait at all on most if not all of the rides. Early in the day, and not super early because my DH has this facination with never getting anywhere early..., we even barely had a wait for Space Mountain.

I will agree though that the crowds were worse at night. By the time people were out of work and school it started to get a bit busier and the fireworks were crazy busy. Nothing like the crowds the day of the CP that we say (we attended the 1st show on Saturday night) which were just awful, but the fireworks was a huge crowd magnet.

I'm thinking that if we've had okay experiences during the week after Thanksgiving it'll be fine this year too (we've gone the last 2 yrs). With the light crowds that this summer has brought I wouldn't worry a whole bunch. But that's me. I'd just be worried about my visit coinciding with school breaks as the month goes on.

nvmom
07-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Ok, so I'm contemplating surprising my dh with a DLR trip for his 35th bday. It would just be him and I. I was looking at Nov.30-Dec 3... Which is Fr-Mon, I believe?

So, we could expect shorter park hours due to cast parties and Candlelight Procession? What is the Candlelight Procession? Do we want to watch it or do we want to get the heck out of the park? Even if the park hours are shorter we'll still see fireworks & snow? Thanks

nvmom

WITron
07-14-2006, 08:11 PM
The Candlelight Procession is where they have choirs from around the area come down Main Street carying candles singing Christmas music. They then take places in fornt of the train station. A celebrity narator reads the Christmas story and stops at several points during the naration and the choir sings.

It is all a matter of opinion wether to see it or not. We went last year and really enjoyed it. There are others that say that it is a waste of time and just crowds the park. The options for seeing it are 1) Purchase a dinner package and get seating or 2) Wait for several hours and get a good spot to see everything. We did the 2nd option and had a great viewing spot right behind the seats.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions I can answer about it you an Msg me.

Richard

kiwifuz
07-14-2006, 08:40 PM
DL was open until 12am both nights of the CP this past year, so the hours aren't shorter for that, just the CM parties.

I'd suggest reading up on the CP and see if it sounds like something you'd be interested in seeing. We loved it, but I could see people not really thinking too much of it.

I think Fri-Mon will be busy, but if you don't necessarily mind the crowds, and don't mind maybe not being able to ride everything, or having to stake your fireworks spot early, then go for it. It'll make a nice b-day trip with your DH, and the park will be all decorated for the holidays.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
07-20-2006, 03:37 PM
I am going to keep our dates the way they are. We get back to the hotel at an early time anyway, so the kids don't get worn out. So being at the parks Tuesday-Saturday will give us 3 days for sure, of less crowded times before the weekend.