PDA

View Full Version : Flying into Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

dcsh
07-12-2006, 08:42 PM
We would like to fly in to Orange but the price is too high. If you had to choose- where would you fly into.... LAX, Ontario, etc. Please help and give me any advice you have. Thanks for all your help.

Malcon10t
07-12-2006, 08:51 PM
We would like to fly in to Orange but the price is too high. If you had to choose- where would you fly into.... LAX, Ontario, etc. Please help and give me any advice you have. Thanks for all your help.
Long Beach would be my first choice. Then LAX.

SCG
07-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Long Beach on Jet Blue.

adriennek
07-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Long Beach is a good choice if you have access to flights into Long Beach.

I love Ontario Airport. It's a pretty new airport - the current passenger terminals were only built within the past five to ten years. It's not hugely crowded like LAX. Depending on what time you're flying in, traffic can be an issue but you would be no further than you would be from LAX and it could be a shorter commute - "Depending on Traffic". Like Long Beach, you won't have as many flight options flying into Ontario but it's definitely worth looking into, IMO.

Adrienne

bradk
07-12-2006, 09:33 PM
I would go with LAX if Jet Blue flew there. Unfortunately, I settle for LGB.

kiwifuz
07-13-2006, 01:59 AM
Personally I'd choose any option over LAX. I've just never been a big fan of the place. I just find it to be too large and spread out. Plus I despise the security lines there, for some reason they have always seemed worse than other airports. Oh and returning a rental car to National made me want to ask "am I still even anywhere near the airport?" by the time I found the place.

If SNA isn't an option I'd defintely search Ontario, Long Beach, or perhaps Burbank. LAX is tolerable if it's that much cheaper.

Our last trip we flew into San Diego, did Sea World & the Wild Animal Park, then flew out of SNA which for some strange reason was cheaper and more readily available out of Chicago than just round trip to SNA, go figure...

tlovesdis
07-13-2006, 10:29 AM
#1 Long Beach

#2 Ontario

hlbtimes2
07-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Add me to the long beach crowd. We flew in there in March. It is now our #1 choice. Its small, quick and close!

going2disneyAZ
07-13-2006, 11:12 AM
I would go with LAX if Jet Blue flew there. Unfortunately, I settle for LGB.

REALLY? I have got to ask WHY??? I avoid LAX like the plague and I fly to So. Cal. often on biz. Horrid airport.

rentayenta
07-13-2006, 11:26 AM
#1 Long Beach

#2 Ontario

Ditto.

sierranevada
07-13-2006, 01:11 PM
#1 Long Beach

#2 Ontario

Double ditto!

Wendi
07-13-2006, 02:29 PM
For me, it depends... SNA is the closest, and it's convenient. But, I prefer LAX for many reasons for most of my trips.

First of all, there are a lot of flights available... I can fly in and out at the time I want.

Second, rental cars are about $12/day from LAX. This makes a huge difference if you are renting a car.

Third, shuttles are plentiful, and a little cheaper usually.

I don't understand why people don't like LAX. I guess it's big, but it's not at all difficult to walk from the gate to the front of the airport, jump on a shuttle and go.

annieb727
07-13-2006, 02:43 PM
In December we used the Ontario Airport...I did not like it...maybe it was all the shuttle mis-haps, but this time, when I go in September, I will fly into LAX. I don't think I ever want to fly into Ontario again...

Large airports don't scare me...I lived in the south for a while, and used the Atlanta Airport many times...in fact, I think I like the larger airports - there is more available, more to see, and more to do while you're waiting - now considering DH is military, we like airports that have the USOs - if we're there too early, we can utilize the military USO lounge (I love FREE food :) ).

going2disneyAZ
07-13-2006, 06:22 PM
I don't understand why people don't like LAX. I guess it's big, but it's not at all difficult to walk from the gate to the front of the airport, jump on a shuttle and go.

Here's a few as to why I prefer most any other So. Cal airport over LAX.....

Arrival:
I can be off the plane and into my rental car and gone in less than 20 minutes at LGB or SNA (BUR also if I will be on the northern end of the area). It takes at least that long to make it out of the terminal at LAX. Luggage waits are ridiculously long at LAX (if it is a rare occasion that I actually have checked bags) Rental cars are all offsite at LAX with long lines. I can usually get similar if not better rental car rates at LGB or SNA.

Departure:
Because rental cars are all off site and security lines are notoriously long at LAX, if you are not to the rental car return close to 1.5 or 2 hours ahead you stand a good chance of not making your flight. LGB, SNA, or BUR I have routinely arrived with only 30 minutes to spare and made it on my flight easily. Onsite rental cars, short security lines, and smaller terminals makes this all possible. There is also a lot more flights at coming and going from LAX (a lot more is a bit of an understatement) which increases dramatically the chances that your plane will not leave on time.

Now if I was really interested in good restaurants and bars or shopping at a nice book store I would go with LAX.....but that's not why I am at an airport usually.

I must say I live in the Phoenix area so flight options are pretty good to any of the So. Cal. airports for me. I suppose if flight options were a big concern I would go to LAX more often than I have to now.....

bradk
07-13-2006, 06:34 PM
LAX is really convenient.

SNA isn't an option for me because when I priced it out, it's $100 more than LGA and takes me 2 more hours - so might as well go to LAX if I have to travel 2 hours more.

LGB still takes like an hour to get from the airport to Harbor. or at least it has when I've taken a car. the price is decent, but LA is pretty simple and you can do it with mass transit for much less.

if you're renting a car, i guess the factors would change significantly.

LAX is also more entertaining to be sitting around for 2 hours waiting for your departing flight. LGB is pretty boring.

seattleitte
07-15-2006, 08:50 PM
We too are considering flying into Long Beach - it's much less expensive than OC. Does anyone know of any kind of shuttle to take us from Long Beach to DL?

Also, we're torn between DLH and PP. We have 2 children ages 4 and 5 and we're traveling the last week of October. If you have any suggestions feel free to toss them in!

Roman Nation
07-15-2006, 09:03 PM
I would Go to The John Wanye airport, It is only 30 minutes to disneyland, And most likly less to your hotel! I am going there tommarrow and our flight is at 12:42 we will gwt to our hotel at 2:13 est. Ity great !

Have Fun

tlovesdis
07-15-2006, 09:27 PM
LGB still takes like an hour to get from the airport to Harbor. or at least it has when I've taken a car. the price is decent, but LA is pretty simple and you can do it with mass transit for much less.

Wow! I've flown into Long Beach 3 times in the past year and a half and each time it has taken about 20-25 minutes to get from the airport to the resort!

tlovesdis
07-15-2006, 09:28 PM
Does anyone know of any kind of shuttle to take us from Long Beach to DL?

A taxi is only about $35 from the airport to the resort area and really easy to get one too!!!

bradk
07-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Wow! I've flown into Long Beach 3 times in the past year and a half and each time it has taken about 20-25 minutes to get from the airport to the resort!

well guess i have no luck then... got a sight seeing tour of long beach on a very long katella ave.. driver even suggested i take a nap..

TempoNZ
07-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Anywhere but LAX..... anywhere!.

I fly a lot and of all the airports I have been too (including tin sheds in Cambodia) LAX is by far the worst.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
07-16-2006, 12:36 AM
I would Go to The John Wanye airport, It is only 30 minutes to disneyland, And most likly less to your hotel! I am going there tommarrow and our flight is at 12:42 we will gwt to our hotel at 2:13 est. Ity great !

Have Fun
John Wayne = Orange = OC = SNA = Santa Ana. ;)
See Original post.

And you are right, it is usually less than 30 minutes, closer to 15 minutes, from SNA to DLR.

disneymania
07-16-2006, 04:42 PM
A taxi is only about $35 from the airport to the resort area and really easy to get one too!!!

Is it really that cheap? I've read that a taxi ride from John Wayne to
Disneyland is around $50.

Drince88
07-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Is it really that cheap? I've read that a taxi ride from John Wayne to
Disneyland is around $50.
For a single person I paid no where near $50 last October from HoJo's to John Wayne. I just looked at my trip report, and it was a flat rate of $35+tip. One recommendation I read here was to negotiate a flat rate when you get to the taxi.

maryjeane
07-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Long Beach! That's what we'll do from now on.

We did John Wayne in Nov. and it was fine, but very busy where the shuttles, taxis, etc. are.

LOng Beach - we did this in March - carry on only, we were off the plane and in our rental car in about 10 minutes. A taxi would have been easy too. And I don't think it was any further than John Wayne.