PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Toontown Fix

BrerRob
04-30-2002, 09:16 PM
I think the problem with Towntown is that its just to colorful to be left outside to the elements. Its like trying to keep dark ride sets outside. It dosent work. I think a great idea would be to enclose it like they did with Mermaid Lagoon at Tokyo DisneySea. Its small enough and it would really improve the area. Guests could enter it through a highway tunnel just like in the movie. It would be like walking through a huge dark ride. They could even take this opportunity to make Benny the cab go outside of the building and across the roofs like they wanted to in the first place. There could be a lot more movement and cartoon like antics going on as well. Cartoon characters could be projected anywhere. It could change from day to night at will. Stuff could fall from the sky. The possiblites are endless. Its a great concept. Its just very poorly executed. Disneyland is a national treasure and Disney treats it like a Chuck E Cheese. Maybe Chuck E Cheese should be the new spokesman for the park. They are both mice right, whats the difference?
BrerRob

BrerRob
04-30-2002, 09:36 PM
Its actully Lenny the cab that would be driving across the roofs of Toowntown. I would hate for anyone to question my Disneyland knowledge because of a typo. Another adavantage to enclosing Towntown is that they could keep it open during the fireworks.
BrerRob

SimpTwister
04-30-2002, 10:17 PM
Great idea BR!

I've always though that Toontown is about twice as big as it needs to be... Maybe they could trim down the size of the land while they're at it, so they wouldn't need to enclose such a large area.

...Or they could just leave Gadget outdoors.

Anyway, love the idea. It really would solve a lot of problems.

DisneylandKid
05-01-2002, 05:02 AM
I love Toontown, but the idea sounds really cool!! It would NEVER happen, though.

zapppop
05-01-2002, 05:23 AM
Originally, ToonTown WAS supposed to be indoors !
The hills and sky in back would be on an enormous TV monitor and the sun would pop up and sing in the background. Unfortunately, the proposal was killed when they discoverd the price to build and maintain such an effect.

So, there ya have it.

Sorry BrerRob, the imagineers thought of it first.

BrerRob
05-01-2002, 04:49 PM
I always get so frustrated when I hear that imagineering passed on something could have really made an improvement on the park. Now its almost ten years later and I am sure the technology is cheap enough for them to do something with Toontown. It would be a great 10th anniversary present. Its about time they started restoring Disneyland to its former greatness. I remember being so excited about future expansions. Now there is just nothing to be excited about.
BrerRob

Ace
05-01-2002, 07:21 PM
it sucks when money ruins something that could have been so cool.

zapppop
05-01-2002, 07:59 PM
One other thing about ToonTown:
Had it been built indoors, the paint wouldn't be so faded right now.
The best thing they can do now for ToonTown is repaint it
and add a major new ride to generate more interest in that area.

AliKzam
05-01-2002, 08:28 PM
You know what? I am all for them doing something drastic... but good.
I do like the enclosed idea. It would be complicated to do, now, but it could be done.
You know what I think they should do? I think they should tear down the Videopolis theatre, and replace it with a show building. Toontown should be slightly expanded, and the show building could be turned into "The House of Mouse". It could be a theatre/upscale restaurant. It could be the Mickey & friends equivalent of the Tahitian Terrace or The Golden Horseshoe. Suited characters could make rounds to all of the tables. Really great burger-free shows could be held there. If you sat against a wall, pictures above you could talk to eachother. If you sat at a table... something could talk or move. The point is, a little bit of everything would be "animated". Kids and adults could enjoy going there. It would be great, and give everyone a reason to go there than just to ride RRCTS.
It would be great if Mickey's Toontown could be someplace everyone could enjoy. Just give the place a rehab. Maybe create a trail to Critter Country or something. With Pooh going in over there, it would make sense.

totbellhop
05-02-2002, 04:09 PM
Where is the Videopolis theatre?

zapppop
05-02-2002, 04:30 PM
It's now called the Fantasyland Theater and it's located next to the Fantasyland/Toontown Railroad station, across from It's A Small World.

stagestar
05-04-2002, 02:46 AM
... it's incredible to hear what plans once existed for ToonTown and I wonder what elements of this we might see in the future in other Disney park or even here...

I just read an european coulmn at http://www.dlp.info/Interact/F-Files/LittleMermaid.htm which speaks about an Little Mermaid dark ride. The column is dedicated to rides planned for EuroDisney but never realized there but according to this part of the series (it seems more detailed information about the ride is going to be published on the site in the future) they detail that this dark ride which would have taken us through the movie story was originally part of ToonTown here together with some other concept as the infamous Dick Tracey Crime Busters ride and a Pooh ride!!

Instead we got Roger Rabbit - well that's fine for me too but hey, I'd love to see that Little Mermaid dark ride as I think the parks are currently lacking in bringing the more recent classics as LittleMermaid, Beauty&Beast or Aladdin in - or to be more exact: in in an appropriate way, so not only as a parade or a show that is replaced.

Stagestar

AliKzam
05-04-2002, 10:50 AM
I would still love to see a Little Mermaid ride. It would be great to ride through the coral castle and past a giant, angry Ursula. That might scare real little ones, but it would still be a fun ride.

Ace
05-04-2002, 11:09 AM
Mickey's Toontown Fix: they should put in a couple of dark rides. not big ones, but just like the ones in Fantasyland. and some paint...