PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Marriott "Best Rate Guarantee"?

Whittibo
07-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I have a Marriott rewards card. They offer a "Best Rate Guarantee". The website is a little tricky to understand, but the way it appears to me is, if you book a room through them, and within 24 hours find a better price, they will match the lower price AND give 25% off.

Now, I looked on their website for the hotel I love, Residence Inn Garden Grove. Their price is $179 per night plus tax which is 13.25% for a total of $2229.89 for 11 nights.

GetAwayToday has the same hotel, JUST the hotel, for the same room, same nights, including tax is $1906.00

I called Marriott to see if they would even match the price, they wouldn't. I then found the "Best Rate Guarantee" online while I was on the phone and told the guy about it. He said to call them direct and ask them, I did, then was sent back to customer service.

I want to book direct with Marriott because you can cancel up to 24 hours notice for a full refund. With Costco there is a HUGE charge (I think 50% if it's under 30 days cancellation, and that's only if you purchase the insurance) with GetAwayToday, you lose some, but not alot.

So has anyone successfully got the "Best Rate Guarantee" through Marriott? Will they match GetAwayTodays price?

Here's the terms of the guarantee
https://marriott.com/look/popUpLanding.mi

If this is successful, I could end up getting 25% off the GetAwayToday rate which is another savings of $476.50, so I could get a room for 11 days for $1429.50 which is an EXCELLENT deal for the kids suite at Residence Inn.

MermaidHair
07-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Wow that is a great rate!

I think you should book the room through Marriott, submit the claim form and see what happens. If for some reason, the Getawaytoday rate does not qualify, cancel the original reservation and book somewhere else. You could continue to try and get someone fom Marriott who has a clue on the phone but that sounds like too much work when there is no cost to submit the claim form.

Do it and let us know how it works!:D

Whittibo
07-11-2006, 10:46 AM
I am thinking that's exactly what I'll do. It seems there are some tight hoops to jump through, but for those savings, I'll do it gladly!

I just have to confirm with my husband on going and when. I just read yesterday that Screamin will be down and that's a huge bummer for us as it was down last year when we were there and my youngest would have been big enough to ride finally and now it's going to be down again. :(

I am just in the 'planning/thinking' stages right now, and with that 24 hour rule, I don't want to book too soon.

Mermaid
07-11-2006, 06:19 PM
I got a night free with the best rate guarenteed for Travellodge vs. arestravel.com/ I tried it for Best Western vs. expedia but they said it did not qualify because Expedia was non-cancellable. So, I cancelled BW and just booked with expedia. I say give it a shot and worst case- cancel the reservation.

Maus
07-11-2006, 07:49 PM
The way I understand Marriott's Best Rate Guarantee (I'm also a Rewards member) is that you will get the best rate Marriott is offering. In other words you don't need to know the secret codes or the names of the special offers, the rates quoted on their Website are the best they offer. You still might get a better rate from them by using AAA or Entertainment but that's not Marriott's offered price. Hopefully customer service will clear it up for you.

Whittibo
07-12-2006, 07:02 AM
Maus, that's what they tried to TELL me it was about. Basically that THEY didn't offer a better rate anywhere. But in the rules, it says;

If you book through Marriott and then find a lower publicly available rate within 24 hours of the same hotel, room type and dates anywhere on an internet travel site, through a travel agency, travel management company, or even through another Marriott reservations channel, the hotel will match the lower rate and give an additional 25% off, subject to terms and conditions"

Now the only "terms and conditions" that would apply in this case, is what Mermaid pointed out above, that some sites aren't "cancellable". It does say in the terms and conditions that it has to have the same cancellation policy, which GetAwayToday, you can cancel, but there is a 72 hour notice clause. But only says you "MAY" be charged if canceled within the 72 hours.

I am sure Marriott will wiggle their way out of it, otherwise they wouldn't be offering it, because people would be doing it.

Last year I called the hotel direct and got a better rate, and wanted so badly to put in a claim, but I thought the girl was being nice by giving me the lower rate, I was afraid I would get her in trouble. This way, nobody would get in trouble. :)

As soon as we decide on dates for sure, I am going to give it a try. I do want to book directly as the cancellation is so much easier, and it's hard to know what is going to happen 3-4 months from now. :(

Opus1guy
07-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I am sure Marriott will wiggle their way out of it, otherwise they wouldn't be offering it, because people would be doing it.

Several of the big hotel chains off such price "guarantees" and most Road Warriors and travel professionals consider (after frustrating and time consuming experiences) these so-called guarantees to be almost worthless marketing lip-service. Only a very small percentage of claimants actually ever see any payday.

They usually have so many "if"s in the fine print and the room types (bedding, smoking preference, cancel policy, view, room category, etc, etc) have to match so exactly...that they rarely have to pay out.

Not to mention all the hoops they usually make you jump though just to submit the thing.

Some people do prevail...but it's my understanding that those are pretty rare. :(

wendyxo
07-12-2006, 11:45 AM
I know Get away today sends a voucher for the hotel. Maybe I am not reading the terms right but I understood that a voucher does not qualify.
Who knows. good luck! :)

nightdesigns
07-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Wow, I'm surpsised with an 11 day stay that they woudln't work with you.

If you know your days and have no plans to change them, I'd call them back up, say you found a lower price elsewhere and ask them to match or you'll cancel your reservation (and a $2,000+ reservation is a lot). Just be prepared to actually cancel.

Whittibo
07-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Ahhh.. GetAwayToday didn't USED to send a voucher, they just sent a conformation letter giving your check in/out dates. Hum. Interesting.

nightdesigns, I will call the actual hotel itself. I just called the reservation line. Last year when we went, I called the hotel itself and the manager there did give me a discount, any discount is better then none. And yes, at $179 (plus tax) you're in the $2000 range.

I don't have a problem booking and then telling them I will cancel if not given a better rate, I could then just book through GetAwayToday and get the lanyards and pins!! So there. ;)