PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't FastPass used more?

Pages : [1] 2

RockDoc07
07-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Ok, so hopefully this won't disentegrate into a fastpass validity/viability thread, but I have a question I am hoping people here can help me with.

On our recent trip to the Happiest Place, we knew which rides we were going to take advantage of FastPass on. Things like Indy and the like (basically any ride we wanted to ride that had FP, we used it).

But here's the thing we couldn't figure out. We knew FastPass would help us out, but we weren't prepared to be amazed with just HOW much it helped us out!! We rode Soarin' TWICE with FP and no wait, and we rode Grizzly River Run and only waited 4 rafts to board.

The biggest amazement was our tickets for Splash Mountain. We got them first thing Saturday morning, before we rode anything or did anything else. So basically, we had the luxury of returning at any point during the day. We went back at 2ish when it was starting to get warm and water ride would suit us well. The posted wait time at Splash was 80 minutes!! And the line extended beyond the wait sign! At that point there were also still FPs available for Splash. We went to the FP entrance and walked through the entire queue nonstop. When we got to what little line there was, the CM called for a party of 2 and we were the only party of 2 on the line so we jumped right on.

So: 80 minutes vs 30 seconds. Here's my question. Why don't more people take advantage of FP? I mean on Friday night at 7pm there were still FPs available for Indy. This is our theory: The majority of people at the park are people who decide to take a trip to Disneyland with their family and just don't do their homework and just worry about simple logistics like hotel and stuff and think that the FP privilege costs extra money like at other theme parks. Is this the case? Or is there something else? Why hasn't this caught on that much?

Thanks everyone. Hope that everyone had a great fourth.

Cool Runnings
Doc

annieb727
07-10-2006, 10:22 PM
I think that's exactly it...people don't read or research it...they just don't KNOW about it. I read somewhere on here where someone decided to give away their fastpasses when they knew they wouldn't need them...they found people toward the end of the line and had to reassure them that they could use the FP after the designated time.

That's probably bigger...people assume they can't use them after the time has passed.

I don't understand why one would pay SO much money and not be well versed in whatever trip you are going to take --

and I can't imagine spending that much time in Splash Mtn Line...heck if we dont' have FP and we want to to just to cool off, we'll all do single rider just to get thru faster!

IdahoMike
07-10-2006, 10:26 PM
We recently spent 10 days at DL, and my wife and I have been wondering the same thing! I think you are right to a large extent, that a lot of the guests don't do their homework ahead of time, and don't understand how fastpass works, or even realize that they can get one (or multiples). We didn't go standby once for any of the following: Space, Splash, Indy, Roger Rabbit, Soarin, or Grizzly, and I think the longest wait with a FP was about 10 mins once on Soarin. I realize that a very small segment of the DL guest population reads websites such as Mouseplanet, so they aren't "in the know", but you'd think even the least experienced visitor to Disneyland would know about fastpasses, or at least ask a CM. I think a lot of people also don't realize which rides really need a FP, and end up using theirs on something like BTMRR, or Buzz, which really aren't a long wait when you go standby, so then they can't get another one for 2 hrs or so.
It really pains me to hear the rumors that Disney wants to do away with FP completely in the next few years, as I don't understand how they feel that will improve crowd control. DON'T DO IT DISNEY!!!!

charpaul
07-11-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't know how many times I have been in a queue for some attraction discussing FastPasses with my party (checking what passes are currently active - when we are eligible to get another one etc...) when someone will turn to us and ask, "How do you get those fastpasses?? Do you need a special pass to get them?"

I do not think that DLR does enough to tell/inform the average guest about the system and how to use it. I know that EVERY guidebook has information on the FastPass and all it would take for a park visitor is to do some investigation on their own. Still - I find on almost every visit to the park that at least one family from out of the area will ask about the FastPass system. Many do seem to assume that it is something you need to pay extra for.

I have also noticed that with all but the Premium AP's blocked for the summer that there are surprising amounts of FastPasses still available later in the day......

quadaunt
07-11-2006, 08:49 AM
If you read some of the older articles (2000 and 2001) under the 'Articles' tab above (perhaps most of them are under the David Koenig link) there are all sorts of accounts about the confusion surrounding FP when it was first introduced. FP guests were being heckled by standby guests as they zipped past them in line and there are even accounts of FP CMs being attacked by standby guests who thought they were being discriminated against.:rolleyes: I can understand the confusion in those early stages, but FP has been around long enough now that it's hard to understand why many still haven't learned how it works. I can't imagine doing the DLR or WDW without it. In this day and age I also can't understand those who do no homework or planning before a trip to the DLR or WDW, whether it be a day or a week. Even if they didn't look at any of the dozens of written guides or websites dedicated to Disney theme park planning and only used the DLR or WDW official websites, they'd find enough information to make their trip so much more enjoyable then just showing up at the park and hoping for the best.

To get even more out of your FPs I highly recommend the RideMax software (www.ridemax.com).

HydroGuy
07-11-2006, 09:01 AM
Human nature trumps everything. Most people will not take the time to learn how FP works. Most people will not take the time to learn the traffic patterns at the rides. Most people will not get up early and get to the parks when they open. Most people do not care very much about any of this.

If you just accept the above as human nature, and then learn to do the opposite, you can get 2-4 times as much done as the average guest.

I have FastPass down pat - and wrote an extended topic on it last August here, FWIW: "Getting the Most Out of FastPass During High Season" http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=46202.

I have a sister with 3 kids. They went on a day trip last November. Being real casual about it, I sent her an e-mail before her trip listing which FastPasses to get and encouraging her to get to the park as early as possible. From what she told me, they got to the parks a couple hours after opening, they never got a FastPass for anything, and waited almost two hours to ride Space Mtn mid-day. And they said they had a good time.

Even when a person like my sis has someone "hold their hand" and give them step-by-step advice, they still do not follow it.

Human nature trumps everything.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-11-2006, 09:07 AM
On July 4th, I didn't bother with a FP for anything, myself (although I did do a SR on Soarin'). I simply didn't need to; the crowds were that light, I was busy with the Walt's Footsteps tour most of the morning, and I wasn't expecting to ride a whole lot of e-tickets that day, anyway.

quadaunt
07-11-2006, 09:19 AM
I've read your article, Hydro. Very well done! But you're right, the ol' "You can lead a horse to water..." adage comes to mind when trying to impart our Disney theme park wisdom to the fly-by-the-seat-of-our-pants-ers.;)

A FP discussion was even included in the movie "In the Bedroom" with Sissy Spacek.

quadaunt
07-11-2006, 09:22 AM
I was busy with the Walt's Footsteps tour most of the morning, and I wasn't expecting to ride a whole lot of e-tickets that day, anyway.I did that tour in 2003, James (and was the only one in my tour 'group' and was taken around by a VIP guide). Wasn't it a wonderful tour? I've also taken the similar Keys to the Kingdom tour at the Magic Kingdom at WDW, which was also great, but there was something special about taking the tour of Walt's 'baby.'

hbquikcomjamesl
07-11-2006, 09:51 AM
I've taken the Walt's Footsteps tour every July 4th since the tour's inception (and before that, I had the good fortune to take the experimental backstage tour that included elaborate printed materials, yet lasted less than a month). I've watched the tour evolve over the years. I've been in large tour groups, and I've been the entire tour group. I've taken it from guides who were little more than kids, and from guides old enough to remember the Flying Saucers (and to know why they lasted such a short time). I've had my attention called to different "credit windows" by different guides. I've taken it from guides who insisted that the "building code" story regarding the tiny basketball court in the Matterhorn was true, and guides who insisted that while the basketball court, such as it is, is real (if little more than a backboard and a hoop), the "building code" story was an urban legend.

I've never taken "Keys to the Kingdom" at WDW, but you need only search the archives to find my rave reviews of "Backstage Magic" and "The Magic of our Steam Trains."

But to return to the subject at hand, you better believe I use FP when the situation warrants it. It simply didn't, for me, on the 4th, and so the closest thing I got to a FP was a ticket they handed out to people in line for the ASIMO presentation in Innoventions (that presentation is, by itself, worth going in and wading through the not-so-impressive exhibits, even if it does get a little corny).

Is FP still heavily advertised in both the guidemaps and the entertainment schedules? Is there still a recorded spiel at the entrance gates reminding people of the system's existence?

Seashellmama
07-11-2006, 06:23 PM
What I don't get about FastPass (non-)use is when the standby line stated wait is longer than the current FastPass return time- Tower of Terror mid-day in late June, for example- 45minute standby time, but a FastPass return time in 30 minutes.

But then, I also don't know why everyone who isn't riding with young kids doesn't use single-rider on every ride for which it is available (60 minute wait for GRR, 5-rafts worth of wait as single-rider and you get to meet some new people! 80 minute wait for Splash Mountain, 5 minutes as single-rider... if you're going to spend the $18 for a picture, then I can understand riding as a group for this one, but you could go again and again...). Of course, if everyone did use single-rider, it wouldn't be such a huge win for those of us who like it, so, nevermind. (For me, I need to live it up single-rider while I can, before my kids are big enough to go on the big rides, but not big enough to ride single-).

twist1980
07-11-2006, 06:33 PM
What I don't get about FastPass (non-)use is when the standby line stated wait is longer than the current FastPass return time- Tower of Terror mid-day in late June, for example- 45minute standby time, but a FastPass return time in 30 minutes.

I noticed that a lot myself a few weeks ago! With the exception of the water rides (it was hot, hot hot!), most of the FP's were for times within the hour! Yet the rides still had super long lines.

I won't complain though cause I didn't have to wait in any lines!!!

blackjackdelta
07-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Other than the majority of people who do not do any research, maybe there are a lot of AP's who do not get the privledge.

Jack

Seashellmama
07-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Other than the majority of people who do not do any research, maybe there are a lot of AP's who do not get the privledge.

Hm? Annual Passholders can use FastPass.

THpoohbear
07-11-2006, 11:22 PM
I do not think that DLR does enough to tell/inform the average guest about the system and how to use it. I know that EVERY guidebook has information on the FastPass and all it would take for a park visitor is to do some investigation on their own. Still - I find on almost every visit to the park that at least one family from out of the area will ask about the FastPass system. Many do seem to assume that it is something you need to pay extra for.

Fastpasses are pretty clearly, although briefly, explained right on the park maps for both DL and DCA. All it takes the average guest to puruse the map for a few minutes and they should see it. I'm not sure what eles DL could do to advertise fastpass without being tacky and or overly done. And with all the fastpass machines and return queues, all it takes is for a guest to observe and inquire what that's about to an available CM or another guest. I think there is ample opportunity for the average guest to learn about fastpass and use it somewhat effectively even if they didn't know about it before their first visit. :)

Drince88
07-12-2006, 04:56 AM
Maybe they're already holding a fastpass for another attraction.

ralfrick
07-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Don't forget the nitwits that consider waiting in long lines an integral part of the theme park experience:rolleyes: Kevin Yee has been spouting such nonsense for years.

Cheers.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Don't forget the nitwits that consider waiting in long lines an integral part of the theme park experience Kevin Yee has been spouting such nonsense for years.Actually, if the queue is well-designed, it can be as good as the ride, and if the FP queue is poorly-integrated, FP riders can easily miss out on some really good queue entertainment. Case in point, Roger Rabbit: as I recall, at least as of the last time I rode it, FP guests miss the whole "walk through the streets of Toontown" portion of the queue.

quadaunt
07-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Actually, if the queue is well-designed, it can be as good as the ride, and if the FP queue is poorly-integrated, FP riders can easily miss out on some really good queue entertainment. Case in point, Roger Rabbit: as I recall, at least as of the last time I rode it, FP guests miss the whole "walk through the streets of Toontown" portion of the queue.Indiana Jones also has a wonderful standby queue as does Expedition Everest at AK at WDW. I say, if you have the time, do the standby queue once just to experience some of the neat theming.

Disney Vault
07-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Actually, if the queue is well-designed, it can be as good as the ride, and if the FP queue is poorly-integrated, FP riders can easily miss out on some really good queue entertainment. Case in point, Roger Rabbit: as I recall, at least as of the last time I rode it, FP guests miss the whole "walk through the streets of Toontown" portion of the queue.
I think that should be the next rude to lose FP. I just don't think a dark ride needs fast pass. And I agree the queue for roger rabbits cartoon spin is very nice.

Anyway, during my first trip to DL after FP was introduced my family had no idea what it was. We went our whole first day without using it because we didn't know what it was at all. Then our last ride of the day was Autopia and this nice couple explained FP to us. So I would say the reason for people not using FP more is because they don't know about it or how to get the tickets.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-12-2006, 10:06 AM
And of course, you could always get a FP, jump right into the standby queue, ride the thing, do something else while your FP ripens, then ride it again.

hg0079
07-12-2006, 11:40 AM
can anyone list or share a link to another thread that lists which rides are fast pass ones?

HydroGuy
07-12-2006, 11:44 AM
can anyone list or share a link to another thread that lists which rides are fast pass ones?You will need to read down a little ways to find it. These are all still the same as 2005.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=46202

Rteneyck
07-12-2006, 01:11 PM
we just went in June with some friends, and they were pleasantly surprised how well the fastpasses worked out. They had never used them before because they didn't understand how they worked. We hardly had long waits for anything and we actually had left over fastpasses in the evening. After riding Splash for the 2nd time one day, we had 2 extra ones left over. The line was like 70 minutes long. I asked some gentlemen if him and his friend wanted one, but they were totally confused and nervous about using it. I actually showed him where to enter and assured him it was ok. WOW amazing how people are not informed, or just don't ask. Anyway, he was very grateful and I was glad to see them get used. I hate it when I have unused ones left over.

eryn
07-12-2006, 01:55 PM
This is my experience with the fast pass. Just an average guest from out of (country) deciding that DL would be a nice vacation. I'll start with June 2001. A girlfriend and I arrive and were very surpirised to see a whole other park! (I hadnt been since I was 16 in 95). And when we did notice some people running past us with FP's we also assumed that you had to pay for them or have a certain ticket. Now I completly blame this misinformation on myself and my travel agent. She should have known enough to tell me. There still wasn't internet access readily availible so I didn't do any research on my own. But when we were there we could have asked someone but we really didnt care. Then a trip with my whole family in oct 2002. I had now purchased the unofficial guide. So we knew a little more about FP's, not alot, but a little more. Then the march 04 trip we discovered that you could hold more than one at a time making it even more great. Well, this past march 06 trip we even discovered more. The part where you can still use it even after the 1 hour window! So it took my family about 4 1/2 years to find out all this information! And I would say most of it was discovered here or on laughing place. To us spending time researching this kind of stuff about the trip was really not as important as researching the hotel location, so I would say your right, most people don't research more than that. And if they enjoy themselves without it, great, and if the are mad standing in line, oh well.