PDA

View Full Version : Any place to get Sushi near DLR?

annieb727
07-10-2006, 03:01 PM
Hey just wondering if there's a GOOD place to get sushi near DLR...preferrably within walking distance (like within a mile)?

Darkbeer
07-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Yes, one of my favorite places is Yamibuki, located at the Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel. Very good, but can be a bit pricey (though AP holders get a discount).

Looking for the cheap stuff, you can catch the OCTA bus route 43 south to the International Buffet...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1151153

So Yamibuki's if you are looking for really good sushi made before your eyes (I prefer the Sushi Bar).

The International Buffet for buffet style, all you can eat.

Quinten27
07-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Head over to the Paradise Pier hotel...............the Yamabuki restaurant there has a sushi bar. Enjoy! :)

TP2000
07-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Yamabuki's, at the Paradise Pier Hotel. It's quite good, although a tad on the spendy side. But the service there is some of the best offered by CM's in Anaheim, owing to the almost entirely Japanese-American wait staff who rise above their generally lazier/slobbier/sloppier/unpolished American CM counterparts in the rest of the Anaheim property.

However, Yamabuki will be closed for refurbishment for the entire month of August. It's last major makeover was in 1997, and it is slated for a remodel and major freshening. The Resort has stated that when it reopens the first week in September it will be one of the Resort's "Fine Dining" locations, specifically on par with the Napa Rose, Granville's and The Vineyard Room.

They have an excellent sushi bar, plus a main dining room with western furniture, and several smaller private rooms with western furniture and a couple traditionally furnished Tatami rooms.

TP2000
07-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Wow, we all replied at once! Do you get the feeling you should go to Yamabuki's yet?

annieb727
07-10-2006, 03:14 PM
wow...thanks for ALL of the replies...thankfully I'll be there in September, so hopefully the closure will be finished by then

yes...such a consenus...I have to go there!! :fez:

my favorite is eel....yummmmmmmmm

cstephens
07-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Here's a review of Yamabuki that I posted back in May. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=872618&postcount=1)

Definitely skip the buffet. Not worth it even if it's cheap if you're anything but a casual sushi eater.

stan4d_steph
07-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Sushi and buffet are two words that should never go together.

I'd go with Yamabuki.

RStar
07-10-2006, 05:13 PM

No, Sushi and Cheep should never go together:eek:

Buffett of any kind is my kind of place!

And yes, Yamabuki IS the way to go.

annieb727
07-10-2006, 05:17 PM
thanks! i will definitely try it when i'm there!! YAY!!

Shadowcat
07-10-2006, 08:30 PM

They do if it's Todai (http://www.todai.com)

Absolutely fantastic every time. *drools*

I can't speak for the ones in CA (although they have won awards), but the one in Portland is fantastic!

cstephens
07-10-2006, 08:50 PM
They do if it's Todai (http://www.todai.com)

Hmmm, not here. That used to be our compromise place if I wanted sushi so that husband could eat something else. I wasn't terribly happy with the sushi there (some of the sashimi was ok, but not a great selection overall and entirely too much rice in the sushi, and hard rice at that), and the husband wasn't that thrilled with the cooked selections. So it was a compromise where neither of us was all that happy about. But since I've turned the husband into a sushi snob, he won't set foot in there, and we don't really have a reason anymore anyway. We've got sushi places we like that have great sushi, and there are places we can go to for the other food that Todai has, and usually of a better quality as well.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-11-2006, 09:12 AM
There's always Harryhausen's, in the Monsters, Inc. ride :p Great, if you like it not only raw, but still moving.

Then again, just about the only sort of sushi I'd be up for would be a spam musubi (hold the nori).

mckygirl99
07-11-2006, 09:41 AM
There is a Benihanas down Ball toward the 57fwy but they won't open again until September for a refurb. It's seriously like 10 minutes from the resort and it's a fun atmosphere.

twist1980
07-11-2006, 04:50 PM
my favorite is eel....yummmmmmmmm

We just ate there for the first time last month and loved it! They had a great eel and avacado roll which it sounds like you will enjoy!

I also loooved the crispy roll (I chose it based on cstephens' recommendation in the review). It was sooooo good!

The service was amazing too! There were only two other groups in the whole restaraunt so that probably helped, but we were still impressed. Don't miss it!