PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report-All By Myself + photos (7/7 - 7/8/06)

potterphreak
07-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Date of Trip: July 7th & 8th, 2006
Cast of Characters: ME, ME, ME (ok, and my hubby Josh also-but only a little bit!)
Hotel: Lemon Tree

Our trip actually began Thursday, July 6th. After work, I came home and watched a little TV and then DH and I went to sushi with some friends and we all came back to the house and played some games. We dropped them off at their house around 10pm and then headed to Galaxy Theatres in Riverbank for the midnight showing of PoTC. We had a bit of drama waiting for our theatre to be fixed for the DLP version of PoTC and then, the heavens parted and the angels sang and the movie started! The movie was great, but I was so pooped I almost fell asleep twice! Sacrilege! We got home about 3:30am where I amended my idea on leaving the house at 10am to whenever we got up and at it.
I woke up on Friday at 10am, showered and packed. Got DH up and we hit the road. We stopped in Turlock at the bank, got some Safeway gas and some Sonic for the road and we were on our way! We got to the hotel about 6:30pm, checked in, unpacked and “rested” and we were at the park at 8pm. Now, DH wasn’t supposed to be going to DL this trip; in fact, I wasn’t supposed to be going to DL until Saturday while he was at the Giants/Dodger game. Buuuuut, he made a bet with me on the 4th of July and I won and he had to go to DL (he made the bet AND set the consequences-go figure!).
We headed straight to the castle to meet up with our 6 yr. old daughter who was there with DH’s mother (they left Modesto on Thursday for their own adventure), hoping we could persuade 6 yr. old onto Screamin’. No dice, so hugs and kisses all around and we left them to staking out their fireworks spot. We headed to DCA and got Fast Passes for ToT and rode Screamin’. After Screamin’, we headed back to ToT to use our FPs and had a GREAT ride!!! Those 2 rides left me very dizzy and wobbly for awhile, LOL. We left DCA and headed back to DL to ride PoTC. The line was pretty good and we got in probably less than 25 minutes. We chatted with a very nice lady and her 10 year old son and that was a lot of fun! The ride itself was phenomenal. Maybe it was a combination of not having been able to ride it since February, but it was really spectacular. I am so glad I saw the movie beforehand tho! 3 times we had a CM say over the loud speaker to stay in the boat, the ride would continue shortly cos the boats kept bunching up. Oh well, made the ride even longer! LOL
After PoTC, we headed to Splash Mountain, a ride we haven’t been on since 1992 for me and 1994 for DH. While in line, the ride broke and we decided to leave. We were starved anyways!!! So we headed to ESPN Zone in DTD. Got there at 11:33pm and left 12:22pm. My food was eh, but what else can I expect for so late?! Tomorrow: DL all by myself!

potterphreak
07-10-2006, 01:24 PM
Finally, the day is here! We wake up around 9am, shower, pack and check out of the Lemon Tree and hit the Rite Aid down the street for some sun block for me. While I was in Rite Aid, DH went to the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and got a drip for him and a Moroccan Mint tea latte for me. MMMMM!!! Headed over to DTD so we could spend some money at WoD so that we could get the $10.00 watch for DH (he has such a thing for watches!). Josh bought a tee that says on the front “I am surrounded by idiots!” and on the back there is a small picture of Scar. He is such a villain nut! I bought Mickey birthstone earrings and a necklace for my daughters’ best friends 7th birthday and the Tinkerbell “Polly Pocket” type toy for my 3 yr. old and this really neat Pirate mini-messenger bag type thing. All that for $80.00+, phew! LOL Used my PAP discount and with the $10.00 watch the total came to $82.74. DH kissed me goodbye and headed for the car and I meandered on to the Monorail.
After disembarking the Monorail, I immediately headed to Space Mountain for a FastPass and then mosied on over to Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port (is it just me or do you think it would be better themed as Pizza Planet from Toy Story?”) and got a kids meal-spaghetti with one gi-normous meteor I mean meatball, with a small piece of focaccia bread and a kids size root beer, plus a bottled water and a brownie, after PAP discount, my total was $10.68. I ate my tasty and filling grub and headed for PoTC which was awesome by myself. I stopped in the newly done Pieces of Eight store and bought a Pirate Mickey antenna ball (since someone took my Golden ears ball during my May trip) and 3 Pirates postcards for my scrapbook, and then nearly melted to death in line for Haunted Mansion (again, a real treat to ride this by myself!). I amused myself in the HM line by playing Diner Dash 2 on my cell phone and took a truly horrid picture of me sweating and sent it to 7 friends back home, all who text’ed me back saying they wish they were with me melting as well. Foolish mortals!!!! LOL HM was decadently air conditioned, I didn’t want to leave! LOL After escaping the ghouls I walked briskly to Splash Mountain to get a FastPass but alas, it was again not meant to be. The stand-by line was ridiculously long and the FP return time was 8:10pm and I knew I would be long gone by then.
I didn’t feel up to riding Space Mountain yet so I walked (the train station was a nightmare! And in the sun!!!) to DCA where I got some ice cream at Burr-Bank Ice Cream. Mmmm, the Mint Express (2 scoops of the BEST mint choco chip, with whipped cream and crushed oreos-no cherry for me please) and another bottled water (the gentleman was also nice enough to give me a cup of ice FOR FREE!!!). I sat in the shade and enjoyed my treat for about 30 minutes and then tossed the rest feeling nicely refreshed. I headed to GRR hoping to for a FastPass but again with the late return times!! So I headed to Soarin’ and actually got in line before deciding I am just too darn hot and feeling nasty for this. So, I headed back to DL. I headed straight for the 50th movie (air conditioning!!! Oh my!!!) and actually took the time to LOOK at all of the displays (snap some photos as well, niiiiice!) and then enjoyed the chatter of Steve Martin (love him!) After the movie I called Josh and asked, where are you I am so dreadfully tired, and he said he was leaving the stadium right then. I headed over the Magic Shop to get my soon-to-be 7 year olds birthday present (well, PART of her present)-the Magic Kit! She has been yapping about this thing since our February trip, LOL! Again, used my PAP for 10% off and headed out of the park. I went straight to ESPN Zone for a coooooold adult refreshment (Summer Mojito + strawberry juice = yum!) and an ice water with lemon. Super tasty, cooled me off (a/c was nice too!) but didn’t make me less grumpy. By the time I was done, Josh was in the DTD parking lot and I jumped in and cranked the a/c. We headed to Hollywood to eat at Pinks where we encountered a huge line but the tastiest darn dog I had ever eaten (I got the Lords of the Rings Dog-hot dog, BBQ sauce and onion rings, Josh got the Mulholland Dr.-hot dog with sautéed mushrooms and onions and nacho cheese, and we were going to split chili cheese fries but neither of us had room). I really recommend this place if you are ever in S. California!! Definitely worth the ride AND the wait in line! On the drive home, I realized I was SICK and slept most of the way home. We made it home around 1:30am Sunday. I spent my Sunday sick as a dawg and feeling like I had got Disneyland out of my system. Right now, I am just blah about the whole thing, LOL!!!
PLUSES: Pinks! Riding my favorite rides by myself (HM and PoTC)! The Lemon Tree (phenomenal, as always!)
NON-PLUSES: The never-ending-knock-you-down-drag-you-in-the-alley-and –spit-in-your-face heat. The crazy Saturday-in-July crowds! LOL I should have known better but really thought it would be easier to navigate crowds by myself. Nope. I just do not have the meanies inside of me, I am completely unable to be rude to strangers who don’t listen to my pathetic “excuse me’s”. All in all, it was a good trip. One I hope to never repeat, LOL.

http://www.cjthegreat.smugmug.com/gallery/1647714

going2disneyAZ
07-10-2006, 01:54 PM
escaping the ghouls I walked briskly to Splash Mountain to get a FastPass but alas, it was again not meant to be. The stand-by line was ridiculously long and the FP return time was 8:10pm and I knew I would be long gone by then.

Great report....wondering why you didnt head to the Splash Single Riders Line?

Lekta
07-10-2006, 02:01 PM
I'd embrace the heat if I could just be there. Is there a better place to be in the heat?

Great write up! =)

Perdie
07-10-2006, 02:26 PM
i was looking through your photos and i noticed you took pictures of Haunted mansion-did you use a flash in there?? No offense and I am not trying to be rude but you're killing the ride for the other guests!! Maybe you didn't realize it but taking a flash picture in any dark ride ruins the ride for everyone else!
Just some friendly advice!
:)

potterphreak
07-10-2006, 02:53 PM
i was looking through your photos and i noticed you took pictures of Haunted mansion-did you use a flash in there?? No offense and I am not trying to be rude but you're killing the ride for the other guests!! Maybe you didn't realize it but taking a flash picture in any dark ride ruins the ride for everyone else!
Just some friendly advice!
:)

No offense taken. No, I didn't use a flash because I kow what kind of distraction it causes. I used the NIGHT setting on my camera and turned off the flash, then set it to the timer so it wouldn't be blurry then messed around with all of the pictures on Photo Shop to get them to look like that. Those are the best I have ever gotten (poor grammar! LOL) and I am really pleased with how they turned out. If I had been with someone else, there is no way I could have set up my teeny weeny tripod so I used that to my advantage as well. I'm disappointed that NONE of the pictures after the attic scene turned out very well and absolutely none of my PoTC pics turned out. :-(

Trust me on this one-I have been on enough dark rides with flashes going crazy to know better. LOL

potterphreak
07-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Great report....wondering why you didnt head to the Splash Single Riders Line?

OMG, I didn't even know they had a single riders line!! LMAO I haven't been on Splash since August of 1992 when I was 13, hahahaha!!! Wow, I feel like a dolt! Where do you find the single riders line? Not like I am going any time soon. :fez:

going2disneyAZ
07-10-2006, 02:59 PM
OMG, I didn't even know they had a single riders line!! LMAO I haven't been on Splash since August of 1992 when I was 13, hahahaha!!! Wow, I feel like a dolt! Where do you find the single riders line? Not like I am going any time soon. :fez:

Actually I think GRRR has one too. For splash you go up through the exit. When you get to where everyone is getting off hang a right, follow the path over a foot bridge to the other side. Wait for the CM to find you a spot.....well, now you know for next time....

Frogberto
07-10-2006, 04:28 PM
...we headed to ESPN Zone in DTD. Got there at 11:33pm and left 12:22pm. My food was eh, but what else can I expect for so late?! Tomorrow: DL all by myself!

12:22 p.m.? Really? Almost 13 hours? I'm guessing you mean a.m. -- and sorry you didn't have such a great experience at ESPN zone - their food is usually pretty good!

potterphreak
07-10-2006, 05:14 PM
12:22 p.m.? Really? Almost 13 hours? I'm guessing you mean a.m. -- and sorry you didn't have such a great experience at ESPN zone - their food is usually pretty good!

LMAO!! Yep, we were there 13 hours. Gosh, I am such a bonehead!!! We have eaten at ESPN Zone about 10 times and out of those 10 times, 8 were phenomenal, 1 was bad (January) and one was just "eh" (this time). But, I can't really fault them because it was so very late and it's not their fault what I ordered ended up being something I didn't like. LOL Still HIGHLY recommend them, they are great!!! Great atmosphere, phenomenal food, mmmmm!!!!

ae's mom
07-10-2006, 05:36 PM
We went to DLR the week of June 26th. We stopped and stayed the night in Hollywood, as Universal was scheduled for our first day. Dang, Pinks looks like my kinda place.....I wish I would of saw your pictures before we went.....my brother would have LOVED it!! I'll remember for next time!!:D

rentayenta
07-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Great read!

I am glad you had fun alone at DL. I was there alone once for 4 hours. I ended up crying my eyes out on IASW because it's my favorite ride and didn't want to be alone. :geek: