PDA

View Full Version : Transportation woes [Anaheim to San Diego]

GeminiAngel
07-10-2006, 10:47 AM
We want to plan a 7 day trip for april or may. 3 days in DL then down to San Diego for the remainder of the time. how could we get to San diego from anaheim without a car? renting one is out of the question for us.

Darkbeer
07-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Take the train.....

I prefer the Fullerton Station, just take the OCTA route 43 bus northbound on Harbor to the Fullerton Station. Then get an Amtrak train to Downtown San Diego. San Diego has a great transit system, including the Trolley system that has multiple lines going next to the San Diego Train Station.

bradk
07-10-2006, 11:00 AM
i'll second that. i didn't take amtrak all the way down to san diego, but i did take it from anaheim down towards escondido.

and loved the bus system in san diego. although you'll find that it's ridden mostly by locals who probably can't own a car.

momuvseven
07-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Our family loved the Amtrak as well. It is so much fun and so much to see along the way. We like the downtown station that lets you off one block from the marina area. I heard that ART now has a scheduled stop at Amtrak station in Anaheim. We buy tickets on line and there are several ways to get discounts. Trains come and go between San Diego and Anaheim about every hour during the day.

GeminiAngel
07-10-2006, 11:24 AM
That's great! thanks for all the answers. we would just take a cab (don't want to drag luggage around too much) to the amtrak station. also once again when in san diego to the hotel. about how long is the trip?

Darkbeer
07-10-2006, 11:33 AM
That's great! thanks for all the answers. we would just take a cab (don't want to drag luggage around too much) to the amtrak station. also once again when in san diego to the hotel. about how long is the trip?

Just over 2 hours on average, sometimes longer due to having to allow other trains to pass by.

momuvseven
07-11-2006, 07:24 AM
If you are taking luggage arrive an hour in advance to get everything checked. Ask your hotels about transportation for drop off and pick up. You might be able to get there for free.

Hakuna Makarla
07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
we did this exact thing, took a taxi to the amtrak station and went to san diego. then took a taxi to the motel. One word of caution!!! Run for seats, we did not thinking there was seats, nope no where on that train was a seat!!! We were left standing. I am not kidding. and the trip down was about 2 to 3 hours. run for seats, do not look around, find the nearest seats and sit, or you will be standing.

Klutch
07-11-2006, 03:44 PM
Sounds like this train is similar to Greyhound bus lines. Your ticket gets you a ride from point A to point B. It does not get you a seat. If there are seats available, consider yourself lucky.

A few years ago my sister-in-law rode a bus from Kansas to Oklahoma sitting on the floor. :rolleyes:

It also sounds like taking the train from Anaheim to San Diego is a good way to go. I've ridden trains from Washington D.C. to Philadephia and was great.

So it would seem that day trips on the train are great, but based on many reports, overnight trips on Amtrak can be an expensive nightmare. :eek:

Darkbeer
07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Amtrak does offer a Business Class option on the Pacific Surfliner (the SoCal train), for a few dollars more, you get a reserved seat, plus a free beverage and a couple of other perks....

GeminiAngel
07-11-2006, 06:47 PM
we did this exact thing, took a taxi to the amtrak station and went to san diego. then took a taxi to the motel. One word of caution!!! Run for seats, we did not thinking there was seats, nope no where on that train was a seat!!! We were left standing. I am not kidding. and the trip down was about 2 to 3 hours. run for seats, do not look around, find the nearest seats and sit, or you will be standing.
You're kidding me!! Wow! Great advice.

Thanks Darkbeer for station names;) I went on amtrak today to just get a test run itinerary together. here's a rough of our plan:

day 1-fly to lax from vegas am flight, airport bus to b.w. park place inn. drop bags go to DL for rope drop.
day 2-DL/DCA
day3-taxi to amtrak, amtrak to San diego, taxi to The Dana.
day4-laid back. pool, or beach. and a good meal.
day5-seaworld attractions. all day stay
day6-beach in am, then seaworld in the afternoon for the shows, after a nap.
day7-mid-afternoon flight home to Vegas.
we've done this san diego routine before it works great! Usually we take 2 vacations a year. with my daughter starting school this sept. were gonna do one from now on. So hubby wanted to mesh both! Gotta love his ideas!:D