PDA

View Full Version : Cosmic Waves Changes

LIMANDL4EVA
04-30-2002, 02:00 PM
So in Al's update it shows the waves witha wall around it, any insider CM's know what exactly is gonna happen to Cosmic Waves?

Not Afraid
04-30-2002, 02:13 PM
I guess I got my Cosmic Waves Attraction Pin just in time!

Ghoulish Delight
04-30-2002, 02:19 PM
I'm not a CM, but I've heard somewhere on this board (perhaps in a previous DIG update??) that the plan is to leave the ball and remove the other fountany bits. I think Al said in this most recent update that they are turning it into a planter. So I guess you wouldn't be able to spin it anymore if there's a planter around it. So it'll be a giant marble with water spurting out the bottom. Woohoo! Tomorrowland, the fun never starts!!

dcadon
04-30-2002, 04:48 PM
I heard that they are going to plant a ring of orange trees around the giant marble.

I like this idea, badly needed shade, no more naked children, and a giant spinning marble!

-Don

tabacco
04-30-2002, 10:24 PM
I still think it'd be really ironic, planting orange trees in a theme park they leveled an orange grove to build :)

TerryTiger
05-02-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
I still think it'd be really ironic, planting orange trees in a theme park they leveled an orange grove to build :)

They did that a while ago. I guess you haven't seen the orange grove outside of "It's Tough To Be a Bug" in DCA's Bountiful Valley Farm.

Nigel2
05-02-2002, 10:17 PM
Also I think there still may be some orange trees in the front of Tomorrowland.

Gemini Cricket
05-02-2002, 10:21 PM
Regarding DCA's orange trees:

They started with orange trees, they cut those down, covered the area with parking lot asphalt, broke up the asphalt to plant orange trees... Interesting. :D

tabacco
05-02-2002, 11:40 PM
yeah, but the orange trees weren't cut down specifically to build DCA, so it's just not the same, ironywise. As for tomrorowland, I don't remember any orange trees. I know I saw lemon, though.

Nigel2
05-02-2002, 11:46 PM
I beleive there are (or use to be since they seem to rotate some plants) on the left side of the entrance. The lemons may have been there at the same time... I will have to look again.

Uncle Dick
05-03-2002, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
I know I saw lemon, though.
I thought they took the Rocket Rods out…

Thomas
05-03-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
I'm not a CM, but I've heard somewhere on this board (perhaps in a previous DIG update??) that the plan is to leave the ball and remove the other fountany bits. I think Al said in this most recent update that they are turning it into a planter. So I guess you wouldn't be able to spin it anymore if there's a planter around it. So it'll be a giant marble with water spurting out the bottom. Woohoo! Tomorrowland, the fun never starts!!

Turning it into a planter? Sounds like they are using the SFMM concept. SFMM turned almost every fountain in their park into a planter some years ago.

80S ERA
05-03-2002, 12:19 PM
A good "Today Disney" idea:

INNOVATIVE WATERS

Take out the ball, place a body of water surrounded by concrete with no fountain, waves, or any of the stuff that would cost money to maintain. People would throw pennies, nickels, dimes, and even quarters in the water as they pass by.

Then, a park employee working for minimum wage could collect all the coins at the end of the week. After all the money is collected at the end of the year, Eisner get more $$ added to his bonus!

"You never cease to amaze me, Paul!"

80S ERA
05-03-2002, 12:23 PM
Here's another idea for the Cosmic Waves area:

Build a futuristic ramp leading into Space Mountain. The ramp would be rubber padded and work similar to a treadmill in order to give guests' tired feet a rest.

Hmmm. Sounds familiar.:confused: :cool:

TerryTiger
05-03-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Thomas

Turning it into a planter? Sounds like they are using the SFMM concept. SFMM turned almost every fountain in their park into a planter some years ago.

Nope - It's a Disneyland concept. Started right in Tomorrowland back in the 70's. Remember the fountains/waterfalls that flanked the entrance to the 1967 Tomorrowland that got turned into planters during the original energy crisis?

Techie7
05-04-2002, 09:10 AM
Well an update from Friday. The jets are gone. No sign of up and coming planters. They put down a black rubber type surface (you could smell it). Thats about it. I will try and post a pic later today.

Techie7
05-04-2002, 09:58 AM
Here is the pic from Friday of the now Late Cosmic Waves.

http://homepage.mac.com/andristeteris/CosmicWaves.jpeg

justagrrl
05-04-2002, 11:00 AM
I wonder what those big holes are on the edges of the black rubber part?

LIMANDL4EVA
05-04-2002, 11:30 AM
but wasnt ne of the newer problems that the ball was getting scrathed up without water running underneath it? so now what are they gonna do, just leave it there with no water??? it will just get worse, they should still run water underneath it at least to keep it from getting worn out. and regardung the incident that happend with the ball and that young girl, they should try and fix the ball so that doesnt happen again also.

LIMANDL4EVA
05-04-2002, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl
I wonder what those big holes are on the edges of the black rubber part?
they might be drains for something??...

Techie7
05-04-2002, 12:47 PM
I believe that the two holes on the sides will be access for the water pumps or anything that might be inderneith. From what it looks like the ball might get turned back on because the drainage is still in place around the ball and the surrounding area smelled like rubber. Could be wrong but that was my take on it. Castmembers?

Morrigoon
05-04-2002, 06:41 PM
There's no way to make that ball safe from idiots, other than completely preventing access to it. But I agree, they should run it, people get a kick out of it.

I still think they should turn that whole area into a shady parklike area, with (orange?) trees, benches, the ball, and maybe some jumping water things like they have at Epcot. How about some clear plexiglass "futuristic" sculptures? :D

LIMANDL4EVA
05-04-2002, 07:14 PM
over at westcoaster.net, they have a clearer pic of cosmic waves than the one above
it looks pretty plain, but i like how its clean cut looking (did that make sense)