PDA

View Full Version : we have decided to change our vacation...

ima_mickeyfan
07-09-2006, 03:56 PM
now I want to know if this is a good thing or not?
Our original plan is for Oct. 17 - 25th, now we are thinking sometime in November or middle of December..any ideas on when we should go so that we wont be bombarded with crowds...Also what is the candlelite percession?
what do you do or see?
thanks
darlene

Gone2Disneyland
07-09-2006, 04:46 PM
This year, some new Halloween-themed fireworks show is rumored to debut. That may have an effect on crowds (i.e., an increase) in October. In November, the Christmas decorations start to appear, with the final pieces in place by the time Santa Claus arrives on Thanksgiving Day. Personally, I always consider mid-December to the end of the year to be the most popular time for crowds at Disneyland.

My guess is you ought to avoid mid-December if you really dislike crowds, and consider if you prefer Halloween decorations or the beginning of winter glow with your Disneyland trip. :)

I went to the Candlelight Procession last year for the first time. I didn't have a ticket or reserved seat, just arrived at the park and was corralled into a staging area about an hour before it started. I ultimately stood for an hour waiting for it to start, and then another hour watching it, at Main Street Town Center by the flagpole. Last year Dick van Dyke narrated the story of Jesus Christ, with scores of choir groups and a band singing hymns behind and around him on and around the steps of Main Street Station. He was at a dais off to the side of the front steps. It was an enjoyable show, but I would've enjoyed it more seated in the reserved seats that were set up along the front half of Town Center.

Monte Cristo
07-09-2006, 08:18 PM
I respectfully disagree with the previous poster. Mid-December is fine, crowd-wise. In fact, my family went mid-December last year during the height of the 50th madness and even then the crowds were fine. What do I mean by fine? In the mornings, virtually everything was walk on. As the day wore on, wait times didn't go much above half an hour.

I've also gone mid-October, and I didn't enjoy it. For one thing, Southern CA weather during October can be just as hot as summer, so you wind up seeing autumn/holiday decorations poking out yet it's 95 degrees. Crowds are low, granted, but the atmosphere doesn't come close to what it's like being there for the holidays.

My recommendation is the first two weeks of December. Basically if you plan your trip prior to the schools letting out for Christmas, you'll be fine.

Sidenote: Keep in mind that this year, Matterhorn won't be operating during October. Granted, it's one ride but I know for a lot of folks there are some rides that must be open otherwise their trip won't be the same.

Disney Vault
07-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Mid december is my favorite time to go. Crowds aren't bad and you can't beat the holiday decorations.