PDA

View Full Version : Remember Matterhorn Snow?

Kayoss
04-30-2002, 12:00 PM
One of my favorite childhood effects in the Matterhorn mountain has at last been restored! I always told people there was a "snowing" projection effect in the mountain, but it hadn't been working in at least 5 years. No one knew what the hell I was talking about! I rode it the other day and low and behold, it's turned back on! I've always loved the idea of "snowing" INSIDE a mountain, and looking at this effect gives me huge nostalgia of the old-school innerspace / submarines special effects. With all this negative Splash stuff going on, it's great to have something positive.

Hyperboy
04-30-2002, 12:02 PM
You're talking about the projection when you are going up the lift hills?

Kayoss
04-30-2002, 12:04 PM
details.......small ones like this.......are the MAJOR thing that makes Disneyland special.....it's the combination of thousands of tiny details that make up the big experience. Lately a lot of the tiny details in the rides have started to fade away. I'd like to think that registering at City Hall about this tiny effect had some impact. If there's tiny details you miss, please remember to take the time out of you day and do something about it!

Ghoulish Delight
04-30-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Kayoss
details.......small ones like this.......are the MAJOR thing that makes Disneyland special.....it's the combination of thousands of tiny details that make up the big experience. Amen to that! What has always set Disney apart from any other theme park is the completeness of their theming. The fact that even if you turn around during a ride, you still see theme, not scafolding. And the fact that every time you ride a ride, you can always notice something new.

Sadly, that attention to detail, or rather, the willingness to pay the price for that attention to detail, seems to be slipping away. I think the success of parks like Univeral are a major contributor to that. The average guest, the one timer, has seen these other parks. They've had fun at these other parks, and that's fine. But they don't necessarily understand the difference. They are used to the lower standard, so don't look for the extra detail, therefore they don't miss it if it's not there. And Disney takes that as an excuse to stop paying attention to the details too.

I agree with Kayoss. Those of us who do care need to make our concerns known. Don't just shake our heads condecendingly when you see some detail missing/broken/peeling/cracking. Go to City Hall. Write to Disney. I, for one, am having second thoughts about renewing my AP when it expires. If I don't, you can be sure someone at Disney will know why. Hopefully if enough people make this little protest, they will realize that they can't just keep charging us more and giving us less.

Morrigoon
05-01-2002, 12:35 AM
Here's an idea for a neat effect - you know the snow makers they use for Christmas Believe? Place those all around the Matterhorn, and once every hour make it snow for like 3 minutes - just a little magic for people to remember :)