PDA

View Full Version : Do I smell lawsuit?

Pages : [1] 2

Rallymonkey23
04-30-2002, 09:50 AM
After reading Als update on Splash Mountain I can only wonder if the new ride system will bring up lawsuits. I mean, think about it.
If a person went to DL a few years ago and rode SM and came back this year only to find out the he/she cannot fit into the logs anymore, don't you think that they could bring up a lawsuit on discrimination on larger guest? Saying that a few years ago they rode SM and now DL made the boats so that larger guest may not ride. Personally I think the "lawyers" are much too worried about "safety" and not pleasing ALL guest. In which could bring them more problems than anything else.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Rallymonkey23
04-30-2002, 12:23 PM
Guess not LOL!!

DBJ
04-30-2002, 12:35 PM
I doubt it. Because of the Perilous Plunge incident, Knott's will begin blocking guests of "extreme size" from riding. SFMM has had a similar policy for quite some time, that the restraints must fit securely. I have seen overweight people get booted off of Batman because the restraints do not close. Basically, they will get around any discrimination lawsuit on Splash Mountain by simply changing the wording on the signs. Imagine how unsafe the ride would be if a overweight person wasn't seated properly!

It won't make people happy, but at least they will be injury free.

justagrrl
04-30-2002, 12:39 PM
I thought the issue was height? Is it a weight issue also?

gautry
04-30-2002, 01:00 PM
The ADA act does not classify height as in being tall as a disability, however this many change, I would like to know what is Al's or disney's definintion of a tall person is . I am 6'6 and no one in my family is under 6 are we all going to be splashless forever.

Ghoulish Delight
04-30-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by gautry
The ADA act does not classify height as in being tall as a disability, however this many change, I would like to know what is Al's or disney's definintion of a tall person is . I am 6'6 and no one in my family is under 6 are we all going to be splashless forever. If the ride goes under no further changes, yes. However, as Al has mentioned multiple times, the current plan is to implement the current 5-seater logs as a temporary patch job to get it open for this summer, then close it again and develop something new that would, hopefully, satisfy the lawyers while once again accomodating a larger segment of guests.

I, like Al, think they should have just left it closed and get it done right the first time. A couple months of operation will not be worth the massive headache that is going to ensue thanks to lower ride capacity (i.e., longer lines and fewer Fastpasses) and tall, angry guests who can no longer enjoy the ride.

gautry
04-30-2002, 01:16 PM
"and tall, angry guests who can no longer enjoy the ride."

you should have said the Tall angry drunk guest since they will go over to the new orleans food shoppe and get a green tipper to drink why there family enjoys the ride

just kidding my fellow tall mouseplanet people

justagrrl
04-30-2002, 01:22 PM
you should have said the Tall angry drunk guest since they will go over to the new orleans food shoppe and get a green tipper to drink why there family enjoys the ride

Are they serving alcohol in Disneyland now?

Hyperboy
04-30-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl

He was kidding. They still don't serve it anywhere but Club 33.

Mouse
04-30-2002, 02:22 PM
The ADA act does not classify height as in being tall as a disability, however this many change, I would like to know what is Al's or disney's definintion of a tall person is . I am 6'6 and no one in my family is under 6 are we all going to be splashless forever.

What about those too short to ride rides who are not children? Yes, there are people too short to go on many of the rides at parks like Six Flags who are not disabled, just of extreme(ly small) size. Small people have been restricted from rides for a long time, I don't think large people being restricted from rides will have people running to the ADA for equality.

bluebayou
04-30-2002, 02:50 PM
I need some clarification - when we say large - do we mean people who currently fit on things like space mountain will not be able to fit or are we talking the 500lb person who has a hard time fitting on anything? How large is too large?

Ghoulish Delight
04-30-2002, 02:56 PM
I think mostly it's tall. The leg room has been drastically reduced. Of course, tall people tend also to be inherently wider, so that may also be a consideration, but I think the legs are the real issue.

The width of the logs has not changed. So if width was not an issue for you before, it shouldn't be now. However, height now becomes an issue.

coronamouseman
04-30-2002, 05:34 PM
Hey - if the ride restrictions for each ride are rewritten by the lawyers properly then no one can ride and thus there can be no lawsuits ................

MouseWife
04-30-2002, 05:43 PM
I am thinking that it also means how wide you are around.

If the seats are closer together then the space for a 'larger' person has gotten smaller. Think of someone with a big cleavage. Then think of someone with a big body. The other seats were definitely more comfortable.

Although I haven't seen them.

Also, I really feel for the taller folks AND the parents. I always hold on tightly to my little one.

mad4mky
04-30-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Mouse

What about those too short to ride rides who are not children? Yes, there are people too short to go on many of the rides at parks like Six Flags who are not disabled, just of extreme(ly small) size. Small people have been restricted from rides for a long time, I don't think large people being restricted from rides will have people running to the ADA for equality.

I wanted to bring this up also. I am very short. Very short. (no, I am not a "little person"...just short). I have a hard time getting onto some rides...like at SFMarine World...I could barely get into the Veritcal Limit ride...I had to climb into it like it was a tree or something...people were laughing. I was so embarressed. So...I know of this discrimination from the view of down below you all. I want to say..."see, now you'll know how we feel"...but I won't...because that isn't nice. But, I think Disney will have to fix this, one way or another, if not...I think there will be a hoard of complaints.
Not letting short people on rides is a safety issue. Not letting tall people on rides because they don't fit...isn't the same thing. It has nothing to do with safety...and people are going to be upset about that.

Pony Sugrue
04-30-2002, 06:07 PM
Maybe this isn't a PC thing to say, but I really hate to see these large folks riding those little "large person carts" around DISNEYLAND. It's one thing if you're too ill, too old, or your leg's broken, but if it's because you're just too lazy and bloated to walk, then be prepared to experience the next level of "bloated".

So you don't want to diet or work out? OK, a lot of people don't... but at least get on your doggone feet to walk into the darn "TIKI ROOM". Your incidental walking (to the store, fridge, garage etc.) was the last hope you had to stay at least "obese" instead of "morbidly obese"... but now you're too lazy to do that?!! If you think you're too heavy now, then just wait and see how much MORE weight you're gonna gain from not walking anymore and riding around in that little cart.

Mouse
04-30-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky

Not letting short people on rides is a safety issue. Not letting tall people on rides because they don't fit...isn't the same thing. It has nothing to do with safety...and people are going to be upset about that.

I agree with most of your post, mad4mky, but I don't see the difference between small people and large people being kept off rides because they don't fit.

Large people could be restricted from riding because the seat was not designed to fit someone their size.

Small people could be restricted from riding because the seatbelt (essentially) was not designed to fit someone their size.

Different specifics, same general issue.

I do agree that more people will see things your way then mine, and I'm sure city hall, but not ADA lawyers, will hear about it.

Ace
04-30-2002, 08:43 PM
well, he did say there were 300 testers and 3 couldn't ride... that's 1 in 100. those numbers are both big and small if you think about it, since no one ever really is denied access to people (except the ball crawl thing... sniffle.) but 1 in 100 isn't that many, I guess those would be considered "acceptable casualties" to the lawyers or something.

gautry
05-01-2002, 09:33 AM

I thought they have been serving alcochol at new orleans square resturant by the train station. I beleive you can get a mint jullip there. Maybe I am wrong But that would be a frist lol.

Uncle Dick
05-01-2002, 09:38 AM

I thought they have been serving alcochol at new orleans square resturant by the train station. I beleive you can get a mint jullip there. Maybe I am wrong But that would be a frist lol.
The mint juleps served inside Disneyland are nonalcoholic.

Chris Lang
05-01-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
Maybe this isn't a PC thing to say, but I really hate to see these large folks riding those little "large person carts" around DISNEYLAND. It's one thing if you're too ill, too old, or your leg's broken, but if it's because you're just too lazy and bloated to walk, then be prepared to experience the next level of "bloated".

So you don't want to diet or work out? OK, a lot of people don't... but at least get on your doggone feet to walk into the darn "TIKI ROOM". Your incidental walking (to the store, fridge, garage etc.) was the last hope you had to stay at least "obese" instead of "morbidly obese"... but now you're too lazy to do that?!! If you think you're too heavy now, then just wait and see how much MORE weight you're gonna gain from not walking anymore and riding around in that little cart.

Yes, that was a very un-PC thing to say, and it's really an unfair statement, and quite ignorant. Do you really believe people enjoy being so large they can't walk around on their own? Do you think their problem with being overweight is strictly with diet and exercise? Do you think they enjoy having people stare at them when they are out in public? Do you think they use those carts because they are "lazy" ? No, they use wheelchairs and carts because they simply can't get around on their own anymore. You obviously are either very young or very naive. I apoligize if it sounds like I'm picking on you, but it was a rude comment and I'm sure a number of people here were offended by it.

Chris Lang

GREGOR
05-01-2002, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Chris Lang

Yes, that was a very un-PC thing to say, and it's really an unfair statement, and quite ignorant. Do you really believe people enjoy being so large they can't walk around on their own? Do you think their problem with being overweight is strictly with diet and exercise? Do you think they enjoy having people stare at them when they are out in public? Do you think they use those carts because they are "lazy" ? No, they use wheelchairs and carts because they simply can't get around on their own anymore. You obviously are either very young or very naive. I apoligize if it sounds like I'm picking on you, but it was a rude comment and I'm sure a number of people here were offended by it.

Chris Lang

Hey, they were just being honest. If they don't like being fat or stared at, then lose the weight. Yes, it is a matter of diet and exercise. And don't tell me they're prone to it because it's genetic. It no more genetic than smokers because they have a "genetically addictive personality". Just quit smoking and quit eating too much. Other countries don't have this problem. Did we somehow get all the bad genes just in this country?

Ghoulish Delight
05-01-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by GREGOR

Hey, they were just being honest. If they don't like being fat or stared at, then lose the weight. Yes, it is a matter of diet and exercise. And don't tell me they're prone to it because it's genetic. It no more genetic than smokers because they have a "genetically addictive personality". Just quit smoking and quit eating too much. Other countries don't have this problem. Did we somehow get all the bad genes just in this country? You can think what you want about how those people got to the point they got to. I too think there is a level of personal responsibility that most people gloss over for the sake of being PC. What is insulting and uncalled for, however, in Pony Surgue's diatribe is the implication that these people who, for whatever reason, have gotten to a state in which they can not comfortably walk under their own power are personally offensive to him and therefore should not be seen in public.

"I really hate to see these large folks riding those little "large person carts"" What, because you have a problem with it, does that mean they must become shut ins? Maybe those people you see are getting over their problem. Maybe last month they were so large they could barely get out of bed, but have put the effort in and now, being able to go outside for the first time in years, want to celebrate by going to Disneyland. Or maybe they ARE one of the few people whose genetics really do make it nearly impossible to be anything but obese. And even if they aren't, it doesn't matter. My point is, their life is their business. If their appearance an needs offend you, that's your problem, not theirs. Those peole have as much right as anyone to go anywhere without being judged and ridiculed. It's none of your business.

GREGOR
05-01-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
...My point is, their life is their business. If their appearance an needs offend you, that's your problem, not theirs. Those peole have as much right as anyone to go anywhere without being judged and ridiculed. It's none of your business.

Point well taken. I apologize.:( Pony was talking about something other than the cause. That's bad.

Pony Sugrue
05-01-2002, 06:16 PM
Whoa, whoa...

The reason I said I "hate to see these large folks riding those little 'large person' carts" is not because I can't actually stomach the sight of them... Lord knows my family is "large" (Even I have tipped the scales at 317 lbs). What I meant was I hate to see the use of the cart itself because that means (in some cases) that they are giving up the last hope of any excercise that they might get; causing more "girth" to come upon them than there would under other circumstances.

This is a concern of mine because my Uncle really was "too lazy" to walk. He claimed that it made him "out of breath" and the little cart was a great way to speed around without getting "winded". The extra weight he gained from that absolute immobility came on rapidly and helped lead to his death shortly thereafter.

I know that all these people aren't "lazy". Sorry if that was taken that way. I suppose the best sign of the people I'm reffering to is to watch and see if they actually "magically" rise and normally walk when it's time to board a ride. If they cannot do this, then yes, they really are innocent of furthering their own demise, but if they are like my Uncle, then please try to walk more... it may save your life.

Just being the "Richard Simmons" for those that may still have hope.