PDA

View Full Version : Brief Trip Report Fri, 7/7/06

capst
07-08-2006, 12:20 AM
Went down for a quickie Friday morning (mainly to ride Pirates) and was surprised at the lack of crowds early in the day.

Arrived at the parking structure just as it opened. Probably should have been in time for the second tram...walked up just as the first one was leaving. Another tram pulled up but must have had mechanial problems as it turned out into the Pinnochio lot and dissapeared. No problem, here comes another tram...but it was a training tram. Two CMs in the front, two in the rear. They stop at the rear loading area, then pull out without taking on any passengers. A few more minutes pass and a replacement tram pulls in from Pinnochio just as tram 1 returns. By the time we got to the main gate it was 8:04 and there were no lines.

Headed to Pirates. About 50 in line at the door, not open yet. A maintenance worker comes into the Pirates Courtyard area, lifts a cover and opens a water valve. I jokingly tell the kids we have to wait for the ride to fill up now. They open a few minutes later. As we go in, a boat goes by with several Disneyland Firemen in it, heading in to unload. They give the crowd a "thumbs up" for the ride. Boy, those Jack Sparrow characters take audio-animatronics to a new level.

Walked to Splash and walked right on. Jungle Cruise, 2 minute wait, Buzz was a walk on, Space took 10 min. to board. Walked through the Arcade (something I try to discourage) and youngest daughter gets a stuffed monkey from the claw machine (something I really try to discourage as a waste of $).

Eldest daughter announces she wants Pizza before we leave, but it's only 10:10, so we walk to Big Thunder (5 minute wait), around to Teacups, (5 minute wait) then back to Pizza Planet to drop $43 after AP discount. Hit Star Tours (10 min wait) on the way out and left the park at noon having hit 8 attractions and eaten lunch.

Freeway is miserable and it takes 1 hour 20 min to get back to Burbank.

annieb727
07-08-2006, 03:15 AM
wow...you got some major attractions in with NO FP use...interesting how slow DL has been since the beginning of July!

ah...to be able to go down and just spend PART of the day there...I can only dream ;)

cindyland
07-08-2006, 05:22 AM
Thank you for that trip report. We're heading down on Monday and the DL Hotels are full-full-full! Hopefully we can hit as many rides as you did first thing in the morning! I'm not usually a DL summer person, but I'm turning the big 4-0 next week and this is where I want to spend my big day (or week!).

bassett1976
07-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Hopefully we can hit as many rides as you did first thing in the morning!

My wife and I have done well like this on the Fourth of July. Make sure you are at the gates when the park opens. Then head straight for one of the attractions and don't stop for at least 2 hours.

nursemelis374
07-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Well, I was there from Wednesday until Friday and I thought it was pretty crowded. It was definitely manageable, bt by about 11, the crowds were high and the temperature was hot! We arrived at DL at 8:20 on Thursday and the lines were long until they opened some more to get in. We waited about 10 minutes for Space at 8:30 and then 5 for Buzz, etc. When we got over to Splash at 9:30 the line was 30 minutes so we got FP.

We were at DCA for opening yesterday and I was surprised how fast it filled up! Soarin' was 15 minutes by 10:15 and 30 by 10:35 when we got off. GRR was 30-45 the entire day.

I think that it is finally up to more normal summertime crowds, just arrive very early! Also, try and stay after the fireworks, not only is it less crowded, but cooler!

CamCay
07-08-2006, 07:56 AM
wow...you got some major attractions in with NO FP use...interesting how slow DL has been since the beginning of July!

ah...to be able to go down and just spend PART of the day there...I can only dream ;)

good for us! and i hear weather in low eighties next couple days!