PDA

View Full Version : Moonlit Voyage - Start talkin' or start walkin' the plank!

olegc
07-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Looking for updates from those with a "weather eye" at the event...
I went ealier to see if the Store would allow non-attendees and they have it all pretty tightly controlled over at the Disneyland Hotel. Tried to go to the park (10am) but they only had one bag-check open and it was a ZOO!

Those who thought to attend kindly provide some updates. Thank ye!

Dom262
07-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Afternoon Everyone,

We are here at the event and all is well. It is pretty warm outside, so my wife and I decided to make way to our room and relax.

We arrived at 8:30 and found a line outside of the Grand Ballroom for registration. Registration went fairly smooth and quick. They gave us everything including our gifts at that time. The commemorative photo was also open, so we decided to get ours taken early.

They had a separate room set aside for the Flying Dutchman and Wicked Wench participants to pick up the merchandise from the RSP. This was a much better scenario then the 50th celebration where it was a zoo trying to get your items that you purchased. The merchandise is far better then the pictures show. The Black Pearl Sculpture lights up nicely. The canons also light up with red lights as if they are shooting. You push a button on the side of the ship and Davey Jones says, "Dead men tell no tales..." They also had coffee, tea and hot chocolate for us to drink.

It is about 2:15 and we need to head back to the ballroom so we can meet the artists and take part in a "skull toss" game.

Will update you later.

Goosegirl
07-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Uh...sorry to be dumb...but what is this?

stan4d_steph
07-07-2006, 05:30 AM
Uh...sorry to be dumb...but what is this?Click here (http://www.register123.com/event/profile/web/index.cfm?PKwebID=0x452405c6c&varPage=home).

Dom262
07-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Well, what a day. I left off with us going to the artists signing and the "skull toss" game. Noah, one of the artists had some other original paintings there that were pirate themed. They were beautiful. I liked them more so then the painting that was chosen for the merchandise event.

After the signing we went to a movie and killed some time. It was nice to have some downtime and have to run from event to event.

We arrived back at the ballroom 6:30. We went in for the Taste of the Blue Bayou dinner. The Ballroom had been themed to represent the ride. The atmosphere was very nice. The food was delicious. It was buffet style. They had salad, chicken gumbo, short ribs, turkey, red beans and rice, fruit, and some asparagus. I can't wait for our dinner at the Blue Bayou tonight. For desert we had a creme filled pirates chest. The chest was edible, but not very tasty. It was very hard to bite, making us question whether or not it was really edible. (It was stamped on the bottom saying "Disney Edible."

Just before dinner they had everyone partake in a treasure hunt. They pased out clues that took us to one of the skeletons that were there for decoration. There we would get two plastic gold dubloons. Nothing too special. In fact we think it was a way to get us from the tables so the wait staff could clear the table.

More to come, have to run our for dinner....

Doug
07-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Ok, so, that link really said nothing about what this event way... Sounds like it was just to sell pirate paraphernalia, eh? Did it cost anuything to get into this event?

Malcon10t
07-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Ok, so, that link really said nothing about what this event way... Sounds like it was just to sell pirate paraphernalia, eh? Did it cost anuything to get into this event?
The low package was $235 and the high was $550. For the $550, you did get 1 night at the GCH + entry to the event. For $450 you got a night at DLH + entry to the event.

I am curious how they worked the special queue for the ride. Anyone?

Also, how was the movie handled? Were only event attendees allowed in a particular theater or did event attendees get first seating then others paying AMC get to attend the movie? My son went to the midnight showing locally. He liked the movie.

edited: To clarify a little, yes, you paid $235 to get to buy pirate merchandise that was "limited." You got to meet the artists and have them sign your stuff. They give away "gifts" and photos. You also got dinner, a special line for the POTC ride, and a midnight showing of the movie. I did the 50th event, and while others didn't like it, we loved it and had a blast. I would love to do another event.

RStar
07-08-2006, 06:56 AM
Doug, these are "Merchandise Events. Disney does them fairly often now.

They did one each year for the Nightmare Before Christmas each time before the over lay started at Haunted Mansion. I went to the last one a couple years ago. I got two very nice free Event only pieces that you had to attend to get, and the opertunity to purchse more limited edition ones.

It was at the park after closing (With great decorations), there were games for prizes, free food, intertainment, and we rode the ride before it opened (I belive the next day). It's expensive, but you get a lot out of it (more so in the past though, now they seem to do a little less each time).

They did one for the 10th anniversary of the Indy ride last year. They are heavily themed events.

I hope this helps,

~Bob

stan4d_steph
07-08-2006, 09:28 AM
Ok, so, that link really said nothing about what this event way... Sounds like it was just to sell pirate paraphernalia, eh? Did it cost anuything to get into this event?You have to follow the links at the top of the page I linked to.

In addition, a basic search of this forum using the keywords "moonlit voyage" yields a previous thread discussing the event (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=55342&highlight=moonlit+voyage).

Now, back to the event reports! :)

Dom262
07-08-2006, 06:14 PM
The low package was $235 and the high was $550. For the $550, you did get 1 night at the GCH + entry to the event. For $450 you got a night at DLH + entry to the event.

I am curious how they worked the special queue for the ride. Anyone?

Also, how was the movie handled? Were only event attendees allowed in a particular theater or did event attendees get first seating then others paying AMC get to attend the movie? My son went to the midnight showing locally. He liked the movie.

The movie was handled very well. We had at least oe theater that I know of all to ourselves. If we counted right, it could seat between 450 and 500 people. Nothing special given out for the movie, but it was nice not having to line up at 2pm like some people were doing. (They had 6 theaters showing the movie.)

Dom262
07-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Well, what a day. I left off with us going to the artists signing and the "skull toss" game. Noah, one of the artists had some other original paintings there that were pirate themed. They were beautiful. I liked them more so then the painting that was chosen for the merchandise event.

After the signing we went to a movie and killed some time. It was nice to have some downtime and have to run from event to event.

We arrived back at the ballroom 6:30. We went in for the Taste of the Blue Bayou dinner. The Ballroom had been themed to represent the ride. The atmosphere was very nice. The food was delicious. It was buffet style. They had salad, chicken gumbo, short ribs, turkey, red beans and rice, fruit, and some asparagus. I can't wait for our dinner at the Blue Bayou tonight. For desert we had a creme filled pirates chest. The chest was edible, but not very tasty. It was very hard to bite, making us question whether or not it was really edible. (It was stamped on the bottom saying "Disney Edible."

Just before dinner they had everyone partake in a treasure hunt. They pased out clues that took us to one of the skeletons that were there for decoration. There we would get two plastic gold dubloons. Nothing too special. In fact we think it was a way to get us from the tables so the wait staff could clear the table.

More to come, have to run our for dinner....

Ok back for another quick update.

During the dinner they had some of the imagineers do a panel discussion. I can't remember all of the names that were there but it was very interesting and informative.

After dinner we all headed into the park for our event queue for Pirates. They had the right side of the line just for those with the lanyards on. We rode it two times and was thoroughly enjoyed with the changes. The only downfall was that we had to fight the Fantasmic crowd that was in New Orleans Square. I personally thought that this was the only poor planning of the entire event. The timing of having to get there during that time was tough.

All-in-all it was a fun event. Very worth the money we spent.

Malcon10t
07-08-2006, 11:55 PM
Ok back for another quick update.

During the dinner they had some of the imagineers do a panel discussion. I can't remember all of the names that were there but it was very interesting and informative.

After dinner we all headed into the park for our event queue for Pirates. They had the right side of the line just for those with the lanyards on. We rode it two times and was thoroughly enjoyed with the changes. The only downfall was that we had to fight the Fantasmic crowd that was in New Orleans Square. I personally thought that this was the only poor planning of the entire event. The timing of having to get there during that time was tough.

All-in-all it was a fun event. Very worth the money we spent.A quick question (simply because I can't remember from reading the package); was entrance into the park included since riding POTC was part of the event?

Dom262
07-09-2006, 07:35 AM
It was not initially part of the packages. However, we wefre told when we left the dinner that all we needed was the credentials to enter the park. When we entered the park we didn't have to show are passes either.

So I am guessing that they conceeded and let people in without making them pay. I think they may have waited to announce this so that people didn't take advantage by going in early in the am. I think it was more then far as a compromise so that people still got to ride the ride. But then, this is just speculation also.