PDA

View Full Version : Smells like Pirates!

Werner
07-05-2006, 07:10 PM
OK I am a geek but I have to tell you folks this. I went to a Pedro's (Mexican Restaurant) the other day and oh my gosh, but if it didn't smell like Pirates inside! When I told my friend, I don't think she even registered what I said. I just had to tell somebody who would appreciate this! LOL :)

PapiBear
07-05-2006, 07:26 PM
What do pirates smell like? I'm guessing they don't wear Dolce & Gabbana cologne.

Pirate Princess
07-05-2006, 07:27 PM
The ride... yes?

Werner
07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Yes -- that old musty smell in the ride!

I Heart Disneyland!
07-05-2006, 09:45 PM
I sure do know what you are talking about!! Does the refurbed ride still have that POTC smell? :) I hope so!

disneyballerina
07-06-2006, 12:09 AM
I sure do know what you are talking about!! Does the refurbed ride still have that POTC smell? :) I hope so!

Not so much, I am sad to report. I was checking for it too, believe me!!! My husband even commented -- no smell. :mad:

My son, who just turned 6, recently commented that the indoor pool at our health club smells like the old Pirates smell. I was so proud!!! That's my boy!!!

I am hopeful that the smell will come back. My husband thought that perhaps the water had been drained and that's what caused that old famliar smell to disappear. I really missed it. We were there for the movie Premiere weekend but didn't get to ride during the soft opening on Sunday the 25th. We waited behind the ropes on the bridge and made it on to the second boat for the "official" reopening on Monday 6/26.

Our next trip will be in 19 days. Do you think that's enough time for the water to muster up some smells for us? :p I sure hope so!

Susan L
07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
No smell :eek: the smell is part of the themeing

Lekta
07-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Wow, the smell is gone??? NOOOOOOOO

mystycalchyk
07-06-2006, 10:45 AM
I guess I am in the minority here. I was glad to have the fresh clean smell. I noticed immediately

Mark Mywords
07-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Wow, the smell is gone??? NOOOOOOOO

Nah, consensus between my family members (from riding last week) was that "The smell" is still there. It's just not nearly as strong as it was pre-refurb and has been joined by the smell of pine wood in some sections.

JookyG
07-06-2006, 07:39 PM
OK I am a geek but I have to tell you folks this. I went to a Pedro's (Mexican Restaurant) the other day and oh my gosh, but if it didn't smell like Pirates inside! When I told my friend, I don't think she even registered what I said. I just had to tell somebody who would appreciate this! LOL :)

That smell is not a good thing in a restaurant. It's mildew from all the water and humidity inside the attraction. Don't get me wrong--I love the musty old smell of POTC--but it's the smell of mildew and decay, and it shouldn't be in a restaurant.

I was in New Orleans several years ago and noticed the smell there practically everywhere I went in the French Quarter, so I can vouch for the fact that it's authentic. I imagine you get that smell a lot in the humid South :D And I smell it in Seattle on occasion when there's been a lot of rain and things stay damp for a while. Again, a damp, mildewy climate.

Last time I was on POTC, though, the smell was gone. In fact the chlorine smell was so strong, members of my group were complaining and one almost couldn't ride. I'll take the mildew any day! But that was last December, so I'm hoping it's better now.

Lekta
07-07-2006, 09:39 AM
The musty smell was back in March (although, not as strong).

simbaNnala101
07-07-2006, 10:53 PM
i agree I love the smell and I went on the ride on its sneek preview on that sunday the 25th and I smelled it. You just have to wait to get past a afew of those drops and get really into the ride to smell it.

~Ash~

disneyballerina
07-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Yes, but compared to how it used to smell, it's all but gone. It used to hit me the minute I was inside, and just got stronger as I boarded the boat and then stronger still as I went down into the caverns. Now, meh.

Just 15.5 more days until I go again..... I hope the smell will be stronger by then. I am full of hope! :)

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could bottle that smell? When the DL withdrawals set in, I could take a little sniff from the bottle! Maybe not so healthy to breathe in mold and mildew, hmm. :| But still, it's the smell of Disneyland to me, and I love it.