PDA

View Full Version : So how were the crowds [July 4th weekend]?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darkbeer
07-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Decided to stop by DCA on July 2nd (many of my visits lately have been Disneyland only) to grab a few photos.

First off, came across a medical emergency, where a Adult male guest needed to be placed on a back board and stretcher next to the Tire Swings at Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/23/79192524/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/23/79192524/Large)

But getting to the lack of crowds at the park....

First, there were no lines to enter the park in the early afternoon (1:20 PM)

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/22/79191450/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/22/79191450/Large)

Our group then went to Whitewater Snacks for Lunch (Air Conditioned!)

After lunch, decided to grab a few photos.....

Walked the Route66/Paradise Pier area....

First we decided on the Golden Zepher, which only had a wait for one cycle (The CM was on the loudspeaker saying that anyone who wanted to stay on could and re-ride without getting back in line)... And why is the queue so bad?

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/24/79195339/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/24/79195339/Large)

Then it was a ride on the Sun Wheel and then off to California Screamin'

Heck, even the shaded areas were very quiet..

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/28/79201187/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/28/79201187/Large)

California Screamin' queue was pretty much empty, with only one switchback being used....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/30/79203191/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/30/79203191/Large)

Now this is shortly before 4 PM, no parades or other events to take crowds away from the pathways....

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/30/79203581/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/30/79203581/Large)

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/30/79204145/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/30/79204145/Large)

Heck, Grizzly River Run, which should be the most popular ride of the day, due to the weather only had about a 20 minute wait, even though Disney set up a large extended queue...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/31/79205074/Large (http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1624101/31/79205074/Large)

Of course, there are plenty more photos in my album.

So why the light crowds? I presume weather was one reason (Disneyland was busy but not packed)... But is DCA truly the AP lounge? Sunday, only Premium AP holders could enter, SoCal and Deluxe AP's were blocked out.

But this is the July 4th weekend, and Saturday I went to LEGOLAND, which was pretty busy, and the San Diego County Fair, which was very busy.

Could gas prices have an effect?

cpeak
07-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I noticed that on my trip the week of June 26th-30th the crowds were no where near what I had expected them to be. We went two years ago at about the same time and the crowds were very bad and we had to wait for everything it seemed. We had at most 20-30 minute lines for Thunder Mountain and the Matterhorn. In the late morning there was a minimal line for Splash Mountain. In fact on our last day th3 30th we walked right onto Splash Mountain at around 9:00, and there was only a 5 minute wait after that. In all I think the waits were far less than when we were there in April for spring break 9-10.

MrsG
07-03-2006, 01:31 PM
I didn't think the crowds were that bad on Saturday July 1st either. Sure, there were people, but I really thought this long weekend would be packed. We only waited 20 minutes for Pirates!

Darkbeer
07-03-2006, 01:42 PM
KOGO Radio 600 in San Diego just announced that SeaWorld is at capacity (July 3rd), and they are closing the parking lot entrance.

bassett1976
07-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Anyone know how bad it is today, July 3?

Niwel
07-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Even DL wasn't that bad on the 2nd.
I can vouch for the uncrowdedness -- it was in honor of my birthday (so thank you Disneyland!).
DB -- I saw you around noon at NOS taking pics when we at Cafe Orleans (BTW the food is so YUMMY), but was too far to get your attention.

at 4 p.m., the line for Space was 40 minutes (yes .. on a sunday, in the summer of a holiday weekend).

spectromen
07-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Same deal at DL on Saturday 7/1. No line at security and no line to get in the Park. Haven't seen that in AGES. Even Pirates queue did not back up past the main structure at any time. Cafe Orleans had 1/2 empty tables. On a Saturday holiday weekend in July? I was a bit concerned (but definitely enjoyed it!)

kimi911
07-03-2006, 05:44 PM
The crowds seem to let up when fewer annual passports are allowed in.

Last Sunday (25th) the crowds were not that great at California, but on the Monday & Tuesday when select passports were allowed in, things were much much busier. Wednesday was better, and then thursday and friday picked up more with the final two days of regular so cal passport being accepted until august.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
07-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I think that it is because everyone in So Cal went this last week for Pirates and before we were blocked out until August. Personally, I am only going to DL/DCA when I have comp passes until August. That means lots of trips to Sea World (not on a weekend - I am not crazy), Legoland (passports), Possibly 6 Flags (again comped), Universal Studios (comped), hmm. I sound like a freeloader here!

PapiBear
07-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Probably a combination of things that resulted in overall low turnout for both parks:

1. Gas prices & the general economy

2. Limited to Premium APs.

3. A countereffect resulting from everyone expecting the Park to be insanely crowded, more than it has been of late, so they stay away in droves to avoid dealing with such a huge crush.

4. People preferring to just be with family instead of going somewhere during the holiday weekend (notice how Superman Returns didn't do as well as expected either).

5. An overall "been-there-done-that" attitude toward DCA amongst locals.

ThemeParkAddictOfOC
07-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Don't forget that it has been as hot as heck the last few days. On July 2nd, it was especially miserable. I thought that I might faint when some perky, sweatty dancer pulled me into the Block Party Bash parade to dance on June 28th. What was he thinking?! :eek:

jcruise86
07-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Last week people were wondering about the crowds on July 2-4. So how were they? Was Disneyland packed? Did you find the atmosphere more festive or frustrating?

Benihodge
07-04-2006, 11:05 PM
I was also thinking that theam park ticket prices might have something to do with low park attendance too. :eek:

ILovePoker
07-04-2006, 11:18 PM
I heard that Disneyland on July 4th was nowhere near capacity and actually had relatively low wait times. One person even said that Peter Pan was only a 5 minute wait. :eek: Quite amazing.

hbquikcomjamesl
07-05-2006, 12:15 AM
I've been spending Independence Day at Disneyland for well over a decade, and I can't remember when the crowds have ever been this light.

I arrived sometime between 8:00 and 8:30 this morning, early enough that I could reasonably do the 9:00 Walt's Footsteps tour. As soon as I arrived, I booked the tour, then headed over to see if I could book a dinner reservation at the Blue Bayou (I couldn't), and get some breakfast at the River Belle, before the tour time.

I went into the River Belle on the Adventureland side. The counter was open and serving on that side, but there was, for all practical purposes, NO LINE. There was a small line on the Frontierland side, but I could literally walk up to the register on the Adventureland side, and there was only one other person ahead of me waiting for food.

The early Walt's Footsteps tour was the second-smallest tour group of any tour I've ever been on: I was one of only three guests on the tour. The only time I was ever in a smaller tour group was the time, many years ago, when I WAS the tour group.

After lunch (they moved the catered lunch to the Golden Horseshoe, just finishing in time to leave us with Billy Hill and the Hillbillies), I went over to DCA, and found that Turtle Talk with Crush, Monsters, Inc, and the single-rider line for Soarin' were all practically walk-ons.

Then I went back out to my car, to turn on KFWB, and see if Discovery had made it safely into orbit (it had). I immediately noticed that, at least on the "Daisy" level (yes, I actually made it early enough to get Daisy!) M&F was only single-parked.

Then I went to Innoventions. Yes, Innoventions. Yes, DL Innoventions. The topical presentations at the entrances weren't bad; indeed, some were quite good ( I walked around and caught most of all 4 that were running). I then went upstairs, to the Honda ASIMO presentation. The show was a bit corny, but the droid was amazing.

I checked the Bayou for standby availability. Nothing. I went and did Pirates. I checked the Bayou again. Still nothing. I rode HM, and checked the Bayou again. Still nothing. I went and scrubbed off a few layers of industrial-strength sunscreen (Hawaiian Tropic OZONE #70), since the sun was going down, checked the hours at the Plaza Gardens, and rode the Jungle Cruise. By that time, it was (or so I thought) too late to get dinner and still catch the Electrical Parade.

The Parade was delayed in Paradise Pier, for some reason (I half-expected to see a tractor pulling the Blue Fairy, but she eventually showed up, moving under her own power). By the time it got to Sunshine Plaza, the fireworks had already started.

I was shocked by the number of people watching the fireworks from DCA, and from between parks. I was shocked by the fact that, even though there are plenty of PA speakers, the soundtrack wasn't piped out of the park I was shocked that, once I found a path around the people sitting around watching it from between the parks, the line to get into DL was almost trivial. What is up with these people? An aerial fireworks display without music is like . . . shelling.

When it became obvious that there was no way I'd get near the Bayou before closing, I went to the Plaza Inn for a plate of chicken, then (not wanting to ride anything on a full stomach) went and saw HISTA. (YES, HISTA. I LIKE HISTA!)

potzbie
07-05-2006, 01:45 AM
I have a theory.

The FOURTH OF JULY was on a Tuesday.

Perhaps there were enough businesses closed down on Monday so that the "normal" 07/04 crowd was split in half, or even 60/40, so that Sat., Sun, Mon., got the most people, thinking "Let's do DL before the big crunch of July Fourth."
That in theory would suggest that 3/4 of the July 4th crowd might have gone the day(s) before.

Just a hunch. Like Joe Friday says. Sometimes a hunch pays off. Sometimes it doesn't.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
07-05-2006, 02:48 AM
I was shocked by the number of people watching the fireworks from DCA, and from between parks. I was shocked by the fact that, even though there are plenty of PA speakers, the soundtrack wasn't piped out of the park I was shocked that, once I found a path around the people sitting around watching it from between the parks, the line to get into DL was almost trivial. What is up with these people? An aerial fireworks display without music is like . . . shelling.

Shocked? We've been going to DL for the Fourth (off and on) since the late 70s and I've NEVER known DL to pipe the music out of the park. I've been stuck at DCA for fireworks, one once on the Fourth of July. I'd have been shocked to discover they were sending the accompanying music outside the park.

-TLMt

PapiBear
07-05-2006, 05:03 AM
Just a hunch. Like Joe Friday says. Sometimes a hunch pays off. Sometimes it doesn't.

Joe Friday also said:

Joe Friday: By the way, what do you do for a living?

Supernerd: Oh, I'm a systems analyst, myself.

Joe Friday: Oh? What's a systems analyst do?

Supernerd: I analyze systems.

Joe Friday: Makes sense.:fez:

Bassman531
07-05-2006, 05:23 AM
I was there for the weekend and on Monday, but I had to get back to work by Wednesday (today) so I missed out on DL on the 4th :(

averagedork
07-05-2006, 05:57 AM
We ended up doing something insane like 11 rides because we needed air conditioning. The only real big issue we had was at fireworks time. We had camped out a spot at Carnation's gardens/dancing area at like 6:30/7ish, and were told by security to keep the area clear and we were only allowed to sit along the railing or on the rock wall or at a table. So at 8:30ish, while I went to see what the coffee shack had, some family pushed my chair out so the sons could sit on the rail, the dad and aunts were right on my right arm and the mom with a kid was right in front. No one in front of her. I was so nice and I was like "You know security told us we couldn't stand or sit anywhere but the rails. Plus my friend and I camped out here for over an hour." She didn't say anything. Then a few minutes later she was like "I could move, but I won't." What!? Then over the course of the next 2 hours her family made me and my friend miserable. The kids kept hitting me with my chair, taking my chair when I stood up, kicking me, at one point the dad had his pointed elbow so close to my eye that I was seriously afraid of getting a black eye. The whole family was really rude. One of the kids was sitting on the railing and resting part of his tush on the guy behind him, basically sitting on him! So rude.

Gone2Disneyland
07-05-2006, 06:41 AM
After finishing a 5k in the South Bay, I decided on impulse to head to Disneyland for a few hours.

I picked up a friend and we headed to the park, arriving there around 10:30am. We were directed to park on the top level of the Mickey and Friends structure. Going down the escalator, I noticed the fourth and fifth levels were empty! And when we returned that afternoon to my car, we noticed all the cars had been parked one to a space, not two as usual.

Arriving at the Disneyland entrance, we found no lines at all to enter!

Rode Pirates twice in the day. The sign said 15 minute wait at the arch. Our first time took longer tho' because the ride had stopped. The second time was nearly a fifteen wait. Btw on the way there, we noticed the line for Dole pineapple whips was about three people long; we'd never seen the line that short ever.

It was hot. That, and the fact it was a Tuesday, were the reasons I speculated for the light crowd.

We entered DCA around 3pm, again no wait to enter. We stopped there for ice cream and french fries, but in the plaza and Hollywood Backlot it looked like a typical crowd for DCA. We left around 4:30pm and noticed some lines to speak of were formed at the Disneyland entrance.

cstephens
07-05-2006, 06:43 AM
It was nicely uncrowded on Tuesday, and it wasn't that crowded on Sunday either. On Sunday, we apparently got there when a ton of other people did, because there was a humongous mob to get through bag check, and the line to get into DL at about 9:15 was back to the letters in front of DCA, but that was partly because they had so few turnstiles open. What the heck is up with Disney and that sort of thing? But we met up with a friend who arrived about half an hour later, and she said the turnstile lines were only at the monorail. We went on Pirates, Mansion and Space in a fairly short period of time.

On Tuesday, we got there shortly after 4pm and were surprised at the zero lines to get into the parking structure, to get on a tram, to get through bag check and at the turnstiles. Others we talked to said it was really light in the park and that lines weren't a problem at all. We watched the fireworks from our normal spot at Small World, and by the time the fireworks started, it was very crowded there, but that's pretty normal. We hung out for a bit afterward and left at about 10:30. No problem getting out (they were running a ton of trams, which was nice), but there was considerable traffic on the way home.

Opus1guy
07-05-2006, 07:48 AM
3. A countereffect resulting from everyone expecting the Park to be insanely crowded, more than it has been of late, so they stay away in droves to avoid dealing with such a huge crush.

At least in the 60's, 70's and much of the 80's this "countereffect" was very real. It usually applied to both the 4th of July and New Years Eve. It was very much known, discussed, and planned for by Disneyland in those days.

One year it was packed to the rafters...and so the next year those folks stayed away (or advised friends to stay away) remembering "how awful it was" and so attendance was rather lite that next year.

Then because folks that second year told everyone they knew, "Hey...we went there on July 4th and it wasn't bad at all"...lots more people showed up that third year in the cycle and it was packed to the rafters again with folks once again stating "how awful it was."

Rinse. Repeat.

You could actually see the effect on attendance charts making July 4th's history look like a roller coaster ride: Up one year, down the next, up again, then down again. :)

With more modern and more effective Marketing that tends to "fill in the gaps" attendance-wise these days...the difference from year-to-year probably isn't anywhere as big these days. But I bet some of this countereffect is still occurring, albeit at a much smaller and less noticeable degree.

:)

nursemelis374
07-05-2006, 07:52 AM
This is great news as I am heading down this afternoon for 3 days!

Goosegirl
07-05-2006, 08:40 AM
What is HISTA?