PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier?

Pages : [1] 2

Rascalsfungirl
03-27-2006, 08:44 PM
My friend and I are planning a trip in June. After reading all the negative feedback about the Disneyland Hotel on Trip Advisor, which hotel is better?? We are booking AAA to get the enhanced fastpass, so staying off property is not an option. Any information would be great!! Thanks

hlbtimes2
03-27-2006, 09:08 PM
DLH is closer but a bit more spendy. Pools have better a better theme.
PP is a bit of a walk, rooms are a bit larger, its a bit cheaper.

Are they both available for your date? How does the price compare?

MsYumiBr
03-28-2006, 05:23 AM
I would take the negative reports on Tripadvisor with a grain of salt. If you notice the dates of the reports, they precede big vacation holidays where the hotel has been sold out for weeks. I am suspicious of the bad reports because it may be an attempt to open up some rooms for the person providing the bad review. There is even a thread somewhere that talks about this. A lot of people have stayed at the DLH numerous times without ever having a serious problem. I am sure these boards would be the first to hear about a bad trip report from the DLH. Don't you think?

We have stayed at the DLH at least 5 different occasions within the past year and love it. When the hotel is busy, service suffers, but that is normal throughout the resort.

T-RAT
03-28-2006, 06:17 AM
We have stayed at the PPH once and the DLH twice. Even though the PPH would be cheaper, I don't think we will stay there again. There was nothing wrong with it, we just like the DLH a lot more. The kids love the pool, and will spend as many hours in it as we would let them, even when it was only 60 degrees outside. We love the whole atmosphere around it, the waterfalls, the remote control boats, and the extra pool area. Our first stay was in the Bonita tower, in which I did notice some wear and tear, but our room was slightly larger than our room in the Sierra Tower. We had a better view of the pool from the Sierra tower and it was really cool to see the Tinker Bell projection in the pool at night. In both towers we had great housekeeping and I would stay in either one again, although I would hope to be high enough to see the pool at night. The walk is a little shorter from DLH than PPH.
Good luck!

scaeagles
03-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Cutting through the lobby of the Grand Californian cuts a lot off of the walk to the PP.

potterphreak
03-28-2006, 06:58 AM
I've stayed at DLH 3 times in 5 months and love love LOVE it! I have never stayed at PP but ran a thread earlier this month asking about the PP and the things Padders said changed my mind. Pros for staying at the DLH:
1. So close to DTD and DL (SUPER close to ESPN Zone which we love to eat at)
2. GREAT staff!! Super helpful and nice!
3. Pools are amazing (if you have little ones, I highly recommend the Cove Pools)
4. I love Sierra Tower but I love Bonita more. On last trip we got Bonita Tower and I was a little sad cos I had heard such bad things about it. Well, NOPE! Rooms are bigger (had a separate room for the computer as opposed to next to one of the beds) and seeing/hearing the waterfall every day was such a de-stresser.
5. Pixie dust in rooms!
6. The list could really go on and on. If you want, check out my reviews on TripAdvisor. :-D

stan4d_steph
03-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Also check out the reviews in our MousePlanet User Reviews database (http://www.mouseplanet.com/reviews).

momsat1
03-28-2006, 07:44 AM
The DL Hotel is our choice of hotels....13 days and counting! :)

sierranevada
03-28-2006, 10:28 AM
I have stayed at both several times but greatly prefer the DLH! I also take the reviews on tripadvisor with a grain of salt. I have steer many of my friends and family into staying at the DLH for their trips and they all come back thanking me. While the PPH is nice, the longer walk seem to make more of a difference in the summer time when the parks are open later. When you are at DL till 11pm or midnight, it is soooo nice to hop on the monorail (using the DLR guest entrance) and only have a short walk to your hotel when you get off.

momto3princesses
03-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Definitely stay at the Disneyland Hotel!!! It is classic, was in the process of being renovated the last time we were there, has great pools, and remote control boats as previously mentioned. Goofy's Kitchen. Just overall theme look. I don't think Paradise Pier is anything special, from what I've seen going there for character breakfasts, plus it is a longer walk. In my opinion, it is an easy choice - stay at DLH. I can't imagine what those reviews complain about but I've been very happy with DLH and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

scaeagles
03-28-2006, 11:21 AM
I have stayed at all three and have enjoyed them all. It's really an issue of economics to me. In terms of being close, clearly the GC is best, but it is pretty expensive. We splurged for it when our kids were in the 2-3 year old range. Now that they are all over 5, the closeness wasn't worth an extra (almost) 200/night. The PP, when going throught the GC, really doesn't seem any farther than the DLH, and may in fact be closer if you are going there from DCA instead of DL.

It's just preference. As we live in Phoenix, we swim all summer, so the pools don't make a difference to us. We don't spend vacation time swimming. So while there are things about the DLH I prefer, they aren't enough to pay an extra 60-100/night over the PP.

Just my two cents.

Susan L
03-28-2006, 01:32 PM
We have stayed at all three hotels. The Grand, yes, is very grand and pricy. If I can afford to stay there again I would do it no question. The location can't be beat.

The DLH with three teenagers was not ideal for us. If you got little ones this is the perfect hotel for you. The room was to small and we didn't get to enjoy the Neverland pool because it was always so very crowded, even during the evening hours. Housekeeping service was not up to par. The grounds are very beautiful but, it just didn't fit with us.

The PPH we have stayed at the most and have always had a very happy visit. If it is just you and your friend I would choose the PPH. Its not so far from everything. The rooms are way bigger the the DLH. If you can get a room with a park view it is fabulous. The pool is nice. The price is better. Housekeeping is great. Its close to the GC entrance to DCA.

disneyrookie
04-15-2006, 12:47 PM
We just came back from our first stay at the Paradise Pier Hotel and we really enjoyed our stay. Our boys are 6 and 9 and as a family, we liked the subdued Disney theme at PPH. You know that you are in a Disney hotel, but it is a theme-based hotel outside of the traditional Mickey and Gang theme. We loved the easy walk to Downtown Disney. We would go back to the hotel at about 3:00-4:00pm, catch a swim, a 20-minute powernap and then a short walk to a reserved dinner in DTD.

When we are able to return again, we will return to PPH. It's great to get a view of the park, but if you're always on the go (like we were)you only sleep and change in the room. Secondly, the view on the backside of the hotel wasn't anything to complain about.

Rhiannon8404
04-15-2006, 01:11 PM
We've also stayed at all three. If we could afford the Grand, well, we'd stay there every time. In a race between PP and DLH, we usually choose the PP. We don't mind the walk, we really like the rooms, and it's generally cheaper than the DLH.

ILovePoker
04-15-2006, 01:37 PM
My friend and I are planning a trip in June. After reading all the negative feedback about the Disneyland Hotel on Trip Advisor, which hotel is better?? We are booking AAA to get the enhanced fastpass, so staying off property is not an option. Any information would be great!! Thanks
The only information I can give you is that many people giving you information obviously don't realize that it is just you and a friend. Since you and a friend will be travelling and booking a hotel, I assume you would be over 18. Since Peter Pan's Pool for the Disneyland Hotel is geared towards children, I don't think this feature would come in handy for you.

Another big thing is that Paradise Pier was just recently updated with newly furnished rooms while the Disneyland Hotel is still the same. You must also remember that the Disneyland Hotel is much larger and it might be an extra big walk back to your room while the Pier is all in one building. Then there is the 60-100 dollar gap between the two, with the Disneyland Hotel being more expensive and Paradise Pier being less.

And since you probably do not have children, you may not be spending that much time in your room in the first place, just a place to eat, sleep and leave.

I think if you want larger rooms, don't want to pay as much as the Disneyland Hotel and don't mind the useless features like the pool, characters breakfasts, etc, then I would advise choosing the Paradise Pier. :)

CamCay
04-15-2006, 04:26 PM
We have stayed at all three DL property hotels. Our preference is DLH. There is a lot to do on the property. It is at the beginning of Downtown Disney, the rooms have never been disappointing (stayed there eight times in last four years), the theming in the rooms and around the hotel is great. Yes, it is a little more expensive the PP but i found it well worth it each time.

disneyochem
04-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Even if it is just you and a friend, I would recommend DLH (my personal favorite of the three). You will love being close to the entertainment available in DTD. You just seem closer to the action after the park closes! I have stayed at DLH during a girls' only weekend and we loved being able to stroll to House of Blues, Catal and Napa Rose for food, live music and drinks!

Disney Vault
04-15-2006, 07:03 PM
I would also say the DL hotel is a better choice. I stayed there when the GC hotel was full in december and was happy with the place.

Rascalsfungirl
04-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. We decided to stay at Dinseyland Hotel. Thanks a bunch!!

Goosegirl
07-03-2006, 10:01 PM
I read the reviews but still have not made my mind up. The Grand Californian is out of my price range and the other two are pushing it. But which is better between DH and PP?

Goosegirl
07-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Anyone?
We are going July 23-26 and have never stayed in a DLR hotel so I am really trying to figure this out.

Disney Votary
07-03-2006, 10:53 PM
I have not stayed at either hotel, as I live nearby. However, I have been at both hotels a number of times. I like the DL hotel better than the PP because the DL hotel has a little bit more character / atmosphere to me. If I was making the choice (not considering cost), I would pick the DL Hotel.

Disney Vault
07-03-2006, 11:17 PM
I would pick the DLH over the PPH. It can be a lot closer to DTD depending on what tower you get a room in. And the grounds of the DLH are very nice imo.

fidoprincess
07-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Did you call to see if they have rooms available? That might make up your mind for you. We have been booking well in advance because DLH always seems to be sold out if we wait.

I like both hotels. DLH is more money but you get more in terms of the pool, arcade, koi pond, waterfalls, etc.. If you are going to the park from open to close, what does that matter? We spend a lot of time in the room since the kids go to bed early and if you have time to do some of the fun things, it is nice. At DLH, we've fed the koi, gone to the pool til 4:30 and went to Goofys for dinner at 5-nice. Close to run over to DTD too for some snacks.

We've stayed at both in the past few months and it seemed as though our room at PP was nicer, (bigger and great bathroom) and the view rooms are pretty spectacular. I loved watching all the goings on in the park at night when my kids were asleep. There are really no grounds but DLH is close enough to take advantage of except the pool, PP pool is nothing to write home about. PP is really farther to walk, in my 6 year olds opinion-too far! DLH is so close to the monorail, we hopped on that all of the time plus you get the added bonus of skipping the main gate lines. The monorail line, even if it seems full is much quicker than the main gate line.

Usually the prices go from cheapest to most expensive:PP-no view, DLH-no view, PP view and then DLH-view. I would pick PP view if I was going to stay there. DLH is tough to get a park/resort view(less than 20% of all the view rooms face DTD), most rooms are a pool view and I don't think it is worth the money unless you can watch the fireworks from your room-lol. Pay for standard and ask for Marina tower, upper floor and you can see the fireworks for the cheaper price-lol!

disneyfreak75
07-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Okay stupid question, I guess you don't get a continential breakfast with a DLR hotel?? I am contemplating whether or not to take advantage of a DLR hotel or to stay at the carousel inn. The C/I in much cheaper and you get some food but how often will I be able to stay at a the PP with one day free??? Can't afford the other DLR hotels so it is PP or C/I...