PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland plants

mi_mous
07-03-2006, 11:28 AM
I am looking for the type of plat/sod whatever it is that they use for ground cover at the Winnie the Pooh ride, and also the astro orbitor.

It's that flat clover-like stuff. It looks like it could be a sod type thing that you just lay over the dirt.

If anyone knows, or is a plant expert, please let me know!

junglemom
07-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Is it babies tears (http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/interiorscape/plants/helxinesoleiralii.jpg)? Or maybe dichondra (http://www.american-lawns.com/art/dichondra.jpg)? Those are both ground covers.

mi_mous
07-03-2006, 11:47 AM
I think babies tears. (your link didn't work.:( ) But, I looked it up, and I think that may look like it.

junglemom
07-03-2006, 11:59 AM
It didn't, that's weird...it works when I click it. But I think so too. I don't have a picture, but I remember thinking they were babies tears. My mom grew them when I was a child.

mi_mous
07-03-2006, 01:11 PM
The link worked for me now. I don't know why it didn't work the first time.

disney jones
07-03-2006, 04:55 PM
it's dichondra :)

DangerMouse
07-03-2006, 08:12 PM
I agree with Jones, it's dichondra. We have a lot of it here in AZ. :D

RStar
07-03-2006, 09:02 PM
Yes, dichondra is used as a lawn (sod as you said). I would belive it is dichondra you are talking about, but I haven't looked to be sure.

You get it anyplace that sells grass seed. Baby Tears is a bit harder to take care of, depending on what you want to do with it. Although dichondra can get grass weeds easily, if you regularly use a weed and feed you can keep it easily under control. Also it doesn't need to be cut like other lawns.

~Bob

kiwifuz
07-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Interesting thing about plants in an e-mail from Disney this morning, the part about the Astro Orbitor came to mind when I read this:

What do all the plants used in landscaping in Disneyland's Tomorrowland have in common?
They're all edible.

Perhaps that'll help you figure out what plant it is?

MamaD
07-12-2006, 10:38 AM
What do all the plants used in landscaping in Disneyland's Tomorrowland have in common?
They're all edible.
Yep, they are. And I think the groundcover is thyme, probably a creeping thyme. We have Reiter thyme here, and I *think* that's what they used around Pooh, and the Astro Orbiter. It's hard to remember, I know I looked but was there with my 2 year old, and she is busy...

charpaul
07-12-2006, 11:27 AM
According to my horticulturally trained friends - it is dichondra that is used for ground covering at Pooh.
AND in the last few months they HAVE been adding it to some areas of Tomorrowland - even though I do not think it is edible. They have slowly started adding more non-edibles in the last year or so since the colors have all been redone there on the buildings. Most of the plants are still edible - but they also have dichondra - jasmine - and what looks like privet hedge to me.

TTFN92
07-12-2006, 11:07 PM
I agree with Jones, it's dichondra. We have a lot of it here in AZ. :D

I didn't think you could grow it in AZ because it is too hot. What part are you in? I've never seen anyone with it. I do have to say that it looks a whole lot better than Bermuda.

Someone said that you don't have to mow it, why not? How do you take care of it then?

going2disneyAZ
07-14-2006, 02:56 PM
I didn't think you could grow it in AZ because it is too hot. What part are you in? I've never seen anyone with it. I do have to say that it looks a whole lot better than Bermuda.

Someone said that you don't have to mow it, why not? How do you take care of it then?

It'll grow in AZ, loves warm and sunny areas. BUT it is not going to replace your Bermuda. It does not handle foot traffic very well.....

MrsG
07-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Anyone know what the trees are in front of Frontierland that have the blooming yellow flowers? They have a very short bloom time, but I love them!!

Sandiegoboy
07-14-2006, 07:04 PM
According to my horticulturally trained friends - it is dichondra that is used for ground covering at Pooh.
AND in the last few months they HAVE been adding it to some areas of Tomorrowland - even though I do not think it is edible. They have slowly started adding more non-edibles in the last year or so since the colors have all been redone there on the buildings. Most of the plants are still edible - but they also have dichondra - jasmine - and what looks like privet hedge to me.

That ground cover near orbiters has been there for at least a few years though. I always see children ripping it out.