PDA

View Full Version : Bored of Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2 3

moriaman14
07-03-2006, 09:01 AM
There are mainly two types of disneyland attendees. Those who live in so cal and have pases and go as often as possible. And those who live out of state and venture into disneyland perhaps every year at most. I was wondering whether season pass holders ever get bored or at least a little tired of disneyland after going extremely often. Being a season pass holder myself who goes about every month (:cool: ) i must admit that the first time in the year was a litle "fressher" than the 12th time in the year. Its like when you eat ice cream all the time you get bored of it. All im saying is that can too much of a good thing every be bad?

Oh and people who live out of state shouldnt get outraged because they only see disneyland rarely and thats why its so great to them. After all...they do say absence makes the heart grow fonder:rolleyes:

infinite
07-03-2006, 09:06 AM
You forgot one type.

Those who live out of state and still go to several times a year. :fez:

We live in Northern Nevada and go to Disneyland about 6 times a year between 3-7 days each visit.

annieb727
07-03-2006, 09:11 AM
I fall into the latter category (and hope to keep that up, LOL)...I live in Washington (state) and I have been twice this year (10 days and 5 days) and will be going two more times before my AP expires (7 days and 8 days) - wow...that equals an entire month out of the year spent at DL!! COOL!! :fez:

cstephens
07-03-2006, 09:13 AM
For me, I don't think it's necessarily a matter of how many times I go, but rather, what I'm doing and who I'm with. There are times when we are only at the resort for a short time. We might be going down there for a specific reason, but if there's nothing else to do, we just leave. Other times, we're there for a full day, and sometimes that involves rides and sometimes not.

We were at the resort yesterday from about 9am until 10pm. We got there early because we wanted to ride Pirates without too long a wait, and we were actually surprised that the line wasn't very long. We met up with a friend, rode Pirates and Mansion and Space, all before our 1pm lunch reservation.

After lunch, we walked around a bit and then went on Pirates again since we met up with someone else for lunch who hadn't been yet, and this time, it was a slightly longer wait. After that, we headed over to the AMC theatres for a movie, and then after that, we went back into the park for dinner and then went on a few of the Fantasyland rides until they started closing them down in anticipation of the fireworks. We headed over to Small World to wait for the fireworks, and it was interesting to watch Small World just shut down. They must have had some kind of power outage because the facade just went completely dark, the doors to where where the characters come out every 15 minutes opened, and white work lights turned on at the very bottom of the attraction. A CM announced to the people in line that they were closed, and the queue emptied out and we watched as the people inside were offloaded as their boats came out. During the fireworks, there were projections on only half the facade since the only projector working was the one off the old Light Magic tower. Even the Toy Store right next to Small World was totally dark and therefore closed.

I've gone through periods where I've been bored at Disneyland - we just don't go or stay around as much.

I was amazed yesterday, however, that at one point, someone was doing some sky writing, and lots of people just stopped in their tracks, gazing at the sky, waiting to see what was going to be written. You'd think it was a message from God or that aliens were descending in their craft - like a scene out of "Close Encounters". It wasn't *that* crowded yesterday - surely there were more interesting things to do at Disneyland than seeing what someone paid to have written in the sky.

Disney Votary
07-03-2006, 09:16 AM
Living close to Disneyland, I love being able to go to DL for just a few hours if I want. I think it is great to just go for dinner and fireworks, or just for my favorite rides. By not doing everything everytime I go, it keeps my trips to DL fresh and new. :)

moriaman14
07-03-2006, 09:23 AM
yeah...that sounds good..cuz every time i go i try and make it a whole day trip where i do everything. Just going for diner or just a plain walk sounds great. That would really help:)

kimi911
07-03-2006, 09:50 AM
I've been 11 days over four trips, since early December.

It doesn't have the same feel as the first time in Dec, which was the first time in several years I had been there. However, I wouldn't say the later times are less fun or anything. Just less new.

Plus, there are still things I have not done, that I would like to do in the future: Small World (haven't done it since 1990), Autopia (not since 1996), Monsters Inc, etc.

PapiBear
07-03-2006, 09:52 AM
There are mainly two types of disneyland attendees. Those who live in so cal and have pases and go as often as possible. And those who live out of state and venture into disneyland perhaps every year at most. I was wondering whether season pass holders ever get bored or at least a little tired of disneyland after going extremely often. Being a season pass holder myself who goes about every month (:cool: ) i must admit that the first time in the year was a litle "fressher" than the 12th time in the year. Its like when you eat ice cream all the time you get bored of it. All im saying is that can too much of a good thing every be bad?

Oh and people who live out of state shouldnt get outraged because they only see disneyland rarely and thats why its so great to them. After all...they do say absence makes the heart grow fonder:rolleyes:

See? This is why I advocate the abolishment of APs and a return to ticket books. Keeps things fresh and more special.

darph nader
07-03-2006, 10:17 AM
I also get 'bored' with D/L.But i think it's with the crowds more than anything :confused: As much as I can't wait to get home, I'm ready to go back to D/L in Sept and again in 08. Like the earlier poster said "abcence makes the heart grow fonder".:cool:

TinkerBell26
07-03-2006, 10:34 AM
I fall into the latter category (and hope to keep that up, LOL)...I live in Washington (state) and I have been twice this year (10 days and 5 days) and will be going two more times before my AP expires (7 days and 8 days) - wow...that equals an entire month out of the year spent at DL!! COOL!! :fez:

I also live in Washington but we only go about once a year or once a decade . So I never get tired of disneyland

pisces
07-03-2006, 10:52 AM
And, you forgot another type:

Those who live in the State and never go, and/or go infrequently.

There are plenty of people who live relatively close by and never go over there.

I avoided Disneyland for 25 years.

Even now, I only go once a year.

mi_mous
07-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree with CStephens. IT depends on what you are doing, and why you are there.

We go just to go sometimes, and sometimes, we are there with different people, etc.

I don't get bored as much as I get exhausted.

The kids love it though, so I take them and we just find stuff to do, or even new things to do all the time. (At least I try to find new things to do.) If that means playing with the water ball in Tomorrowland for a half an hour, then we do it.

I do always try to find something new for all of us to do, so we don't get bored. But, it does happen sometimes.

zombie pirate
07-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I go sometimes on busy days, but the winter season, especially when its raining, great time to go. no big lines. bring a couple of those cheap rain parkas, it doesnt get to cold. enjoy:p

Gone2Disneyland
07-03-2006, 11:05 AM
See? This is why I advocate the abolishment of APs and a return to ticket books. Keeps things fresh and more special.
Why would you take away my choice to have an annual passport when the consequences don't lessen *my* appreciation of what the park offers me at all? :rolleyes:

I admit to the "freshness" issue moriaman14 describes, tho' for me it took a while. During my first year as a passholder, I immediately considered the financial aspect of what I'd spent on my PAP. So I tasked myself to go once a month, so I made sure I "got my money's worth." Sound familiar to some of you APers? ;) But that in and of itself was fun, for purely childish reasons. So thanks, Disneyland for offering me that experience through buying an annual passport.

But probably after my second year, the freshness and the experience evolved. Like cstephens and Disney Votery, my trips were often short visits, no longer requiring the "gotta fit everything into one day" mentality when I bought just the day pass. And with that naturally comes a new perspective on the park, I think. Sure all my envious friends see me as "priviledged" to have these in-and-out opportunities into Disneyland (and DCA). But how do I feel about visiting the park these days?

When I go into Disneyland these days, I feel welcomed into Walt Disney's greatest city park. I see people resting on the park benches on Main Street's town center enjoying the local band. I see children enjoying carnival rides. I see balloons and characters in costumes putting on acts for the visitors. I see a selection of my favorite restaurants (and corn dog cart :) ) to choose from to enjoy a meal. I can see a show or a movie, indoors or out, or two movies. Or three shows. I see some of my favorite shops to get stuff for myself or for friends who'll adore them. I'll see the park as favorite place, that people before have enjoyed generations before, and I'll visit the museum to see how its history was created. In short, I feel I have a good time at the local community park, relaxing and occasionally enjoying a thrill ride or two when the itch hits me. Because there's no rush to leave; I know I'll be back.

And then, don't get me started when I go there with my soon-to-be-8 year old goddaughter and her little sister. It's just a blast. :D

biolabetty
07-03-2006, 11:09 AM
It's definitely about who I go with. If I go with my 2 small children, we slowly, because nothing with them is fast, do Fantasyland and a few other rides. If I go with my husband we do a few rides, but he barely tolerates the place, so the quicker we are in and out of DL, the better for him. If I go with my 18 year old son, we have to do all of the more "exciting" rides, like TOT, Space Mountain, etc. If I go with my 20 year old daughter, we spend the time shopping and eating, and on one occasion the only rides we did was the Monorail going in to the park, and the tram going out. It's a different experience every time!

Phantom2006
07-03-2006, 11:23 AM
I have nevergot sick of Disneyland, but what other are saying is who you go with. I like going with other peoplebecause it is adifferent experence. Going with a person that 1. never has been to DL or 2.someone that has nt been in a long time. Can be really fun then the normal people you go with.

potzbie
07-03-2006, 11:46 AM
I am not bored, despite going about 18 times a year.
(I figure some months are one visit and other months are two visits, which averages out to 18 visits per 12 month period.)

I figure $329 (Deluxe AP) divided by 18 (visits) is $18.27.
I DO get $18 worth of enjoyment, even if I ride one ride.

Yes, sometimes when I enter the entrance tunnels, I have nothing to do, in that I did not go for a "purpose" or have a "plan."
I am at a loss as to which LAND to go to.

But I go to DL regularly to recharge my batteries. -- To be in a place of whimsy and magic, where everything is just right.
I go to DL to "get away." -- Do you understand?

It feels like home.
It doesn't feel "fresh". -- It doesn't need to feel "fresh."
Q. Do YOU feel "fresh" when YOU are at HOME?

Look at what I see and hear at Disneyland:
• The music of Main Street is piped in, songs from THE MUSIC MAN or from OKLAHOMA.
• The Dapper Dans are singing, or the Firehouse Five are playing, or the Main Street Mercantile Orchestra is playing, or the Disneyland Marching Band is playing.
• I can see the Matterhorn.
• I can see Sleeping Beauty Castle.
* Rod Miller, or Alan, or Johhny, is playing piano at Coke Corner.

Do you think I can hear such things and see such things at HOME?
Do you think I can hear/see such things at KNOTTS BERRY FARM or UNIVERSAL STUDIOS or MAGIC MOUNTAIN?

No, "freshness" has nothing to do with it.

Tinkermommy
07-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Bored? NEVER!

We live about 90 minutes away, and if we go more than about two weeks without going, I start to miss it. We're starting our fourth year of having APs, and the best part about it is that it takes away the "gotta see it all" mentality. If a particular ride is crowded, we avoid it until the next trip.

If it's slow in the VMK rooms at Innoventions (which it usually is), my little girl and I will sometimes spend an hour or more playing VMK while at the park. I don't play at home, but for some reason, it's fun to do it at the park. Sometimes, we'll get on the train and just ride around and around. Just depends on how crowded things are, and what we feel like.

It seems like there is always something different going on -- the Pirates premiere, celebrities performing, new VMK quests, new exhibits at the gallery, new merchandise in the stores -- there is so much that changes from visit to visit! I can't imagine getting bored.

That's a big part of what brings me here. I feel like it lets me keep up with what's going on at Disneyland when I'm not there. Unless I'm not home to check it, I'm usually looking at the board twice a day. Pathetic? Maybe. Therapeutic? Definitely!

If I didn't already have a job and mothering responsibilities, I'd apply for a part-time job at Disneyland just to be there...

jacoby jason
07-03-2006, 12:33 PM
You forgot one type.

Those who live out of state and still go to several times a year. :fez:

We live in Northern Nevada and go to Disneyland about 6 times a year between 3-7 days each visit.

That's Funny...I live in Los Angeles and go to Vegas several times a year...

Doug
07-03-2006, 03:07 PM
I go allot myself (notice my sig below...), I think the bordom one MIGHT feel is when you do the same exact thing each time, I try to change it up, I usually go with the same person, sometimes others, but if you do the same thing, with the same person each time, I can see how it could not be as interesting, but even then, it's still fun, and I usually go for 4-8 hours at time, exception being the other night, went to DLR just to ride pirates, did so 2x ;)....

I am not wondering what every's "normal routine" is?

By the ways, I normally arrive no earlier than 12pm (often 2pm)....

doombuggy driver
07-03-2006, 04:42 PM
We never get bored. We live in AZ and went 3 times last year and have gone once this year in May. We do not go that often because it is too expensive for us to go more often.

The great thing is that there is always something different every time we go. The first was in April of 05 our daughters first time on her 4th bday! 2nd time in October for HM Holiday (we loved it so much we bought AP's). 3rd time in December for IASW Holiday and Christmas "snow" in CA. 4th time in May it was the first time DD could ride INDY. Back again in Oct for new POTC and to use the last of our AP.

Disneyland is always different and we have a different experience every time we go! That is why we love it sooooo much.

:)

OCCOBRA
07-03-2006, 06:19 PM
It never really bores me. I have a whole group of friends locally that all have passes. I prefer going off season but still go up until May. When we go we maybe go on 5 or 6 rides. Mostly we just hang out. Eat out door vending, have a sit down dinner and people watch. We take it real slow and just enjoy. The difference with DL for me is I can go and just hang out and not feel i have to go on the rides. I don't think there is any other park where you can do that as DL.

funatdisney
07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
I go about 18 times a year. Sometimes I go with my "mom" friends. Just the Moms no husbands or kids (It's cheaper than therapy) I take my kids once a month usually with another Mom friend with her two kids. My DH (he is not a fan) will do date nights with me. We go in just for dinner or shopping- he likes to shop. Each type of visit makes the Land new and exciting. There is one visit I wish to do-go by myself. One day. I'm not in any hurry. Another neat thing I've noticed (since I go all year long) is the changing of the landscapes to fit the time of year. I get so excited when I see the "reds" and "whites" during the Holidays or the pastels colors of the flowers in April. The windows on Main Street change, too. One only notices these changes when one goes as often as some of us Disney fans go. It makes the parks interesting.

erica84
07-03-2006, 06:49 PM
I've always wondered if I would get bored of DL if I lived closer and had an AP. It's pretty hard for me to get bored of DL right now since I go only once, maybe twice a year (although I would go many more times if I didn't have to work and had the $$ :D ). There's one good thing about living far away - the anticipation and that feeling you get when you're months, weeks and then just days away is just awesome! I'm sure those who have AP's feel the same way too, just more often. Maybe someday I will have an AP...oh well, it's nice to dream! ;)

annieb727
07-03-2006, 07:10 PM
that sounds SO nice...being able to go and just relax...take it easy, go on a couple of rides or the parade or a show....I WOULD LOVE THAT!! I'm SO jealous!!!