PDA

View Full Version : AAA vs Costco Package Benefits

jennynoel
07-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi All,

I am planning a trip to Disneyland in October (15-22). We will have 7 days in the parks, we are staying at Paradise Pier and we will probably try out RideMax for at least 2 days while we are there.

I can book a package through Costco or AAA for the same price.

If I book through Costco, I can get a free character breakfast for the 3 people in the group and a $20 gift card. (About a $100 value all told.)

Because October isn't that busy, we have plenty of days at DLR and we plan to use RideMax I'm thinking we don't need the enhanced FastPass AAA offers.

Am I missing anything? Is the enhanced FastPass capability worth more than I think? Even in a less busy time of year?

Thanks,
Jenny

kiwifuz
07-02-2006, 03:10 PM
I believe with AAA you also get free parking. I think you also get the Walt Disney Travel Company luggage tags & lanyards, and Preferred Seating to shows at CA. But others & perhaps a search on here might help you see more features of the AAA package.

If Costco is actually the same price I would go with that especially with the "free" character breakfast. That seems to be a pretty significant savings when you calculate in the normal price of a breakfast for your party. From what I understand the Preferred Seating isn't that great of a deal, especially if the parks aren't busy. Also, parking doesn't cost the same as breakfast.

I'd go with Costco if it were me since you aren't too worried about the Enhanced Fast Pass. I would say with 7 days and if they aren't busy with RideMax you should be fine.

jennynoel
07-02-2006, 03:21 PM
AFAIK - all other benefits are the same, so it's really ONLY between the enhanced fastpass and the included Character Breakfast and giftcard (for the same price.)

MammaSilva
07-02-2006, 03:30 PM
I've posted this before but it's worth repeating. If you're staying on property you have the Early Entry advantage and very few of the rides actually have Fast Pass...so if you're going to get a $20.00 gift card and 3 character breakfast vouchers (rough value 22 bucks = 86 ~ plus the 20 for the gift card) you're already 'saving' 100 dollars over the AAA program and with as many days as you're staying I'd take the money value over the few extra fast passes available.

DianeM
07-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Seven days in october should allow you to do everything in the park 5 times. At least. For example, last fall my husband and I travelled to DL in mid september. On a wednesday, the park was open 10-8. We rode all of the "mountains", POTC, tiki room, and a couple of fantasyland rides - and we had to leave for 3 hours midday to pick up my mother and nephew at the airport. There was no rushing involved, we just wandered around and rode whatever had the shortest lines. I can't imagine needing Ridemax or fast passes during the fall unless there is some special event at the park that will bring in crowds. Lines tend to be 10-15 minutes, max. Afternoons are a bit more crowded, so you could use it then, I suppose. You may actually find that 7 days is a lot of time for DL in the fall. We find 3-4 days is enough for us, and we like to wander around and relax. You can do a lot in a day when there aren't a lot of lines. Of course, fridays and weekends tend to be crowded year round, so you'll get some crowds.

Because October isn't that busy, we have plenty of days at DLR and we plan to use RideMax I'm thinking we don't need the enhanced FastPass AAA offers.

Am I missing anything? Is the enhanced FastPass capability worth more than I think? Even in a less busy time of year?

Thanks,
Jenny

rentayenta
07-02-2006, 08:19 PM
We are going Coscto vs. AAA in December. Like MammaSilva said, the character breakfast (for 5 of us) plus the $20 gc are more valuable, to me, than enhanced FP. EE is such a bonus too by staying on property.

Have fun! :)

splash
07-03-2006, 07:41 AM
When in December are you going? We'll be there the 13th-20th. Ya-hoo!

Goosegirl
07-03-2006, 08:15 AM
So do you get Early Entry with a DLR hotel regardless of how you book it? Is it just through the Disney Travel Company, or with AAA as well?

MammaSilva
07-03-2006, 08:21 AM
If you are a guest at the resort, any of the 3 hotels, currently you are allowed early entry any day it is offered, as long as you have admission media....translation...just because you're a guest at the hotel it doesn't include entry to the park, but if you're a guest with at ticket/hopper/annual pass then you can use your status as a resort guest to use the EE program any day it's offered while you're a guest. It requires your charge slip not your room key since the charge slip tells the CM the dates you are eligible.

Goosegirl
07-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Cool! What days is EE offered? Is it different every week?
We will be there a Mon, Tues, and Wed.

MammaSilva
07-03-2006, 08:32 AM
I'd check with the hotel but it's my understanding that EE is offered every day except Wed and Sun.

Goosegirl
07-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks MamaSilva!

jennynoel
07-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Thanks all for your thoughtful and helpful responses.

I haven't been to Disneyland in almost 15 years so I am already so excited I can hardly sleep. And I have 3.5 months to go!

tonytone
07-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I believe with AAA you also get free parking. I think you also get the Walt Disney Travel Company luggage tags & lanyards...
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but IIRC w/ the AAA package you get the AAA-branded red-colored lanyards; packages booked thru WDTC include the blue-colored WDTC-branded ones...and FWIW I believe the Costco packages purchased during the 50th anniversary celebration include Costco-branded gold-colored ones w/ the 50th anniversary logo(?) on them. Also--I'm not sure about the AAA and Costco packages (since I've never purchased either one), but the WDTC packages also include a 50th anniversary collector pin w/ each lanyard.

I know--the above doesn't address the issue regarding the benefits of going with one package vs. the other, but I just wanted to point out a very minor and not important (to the topic at hand) correction regarding the lanyards. :D